No changes on dl.com?

Old Dec 24, 20, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 3MM 360
No changes on dl.com?

Why does Delta make it so difficult to change tickets online and force us to call in and wait on hold for ridiculous waits to make simple changes (first class ticket no less!)? The website is so littered with jerky images and page issues its a become so annoying to even think about booking a ticket. It's one thing after the next with these clowns!
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 24, 20, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by p100a View Post
Why does Delta make it so difficult to change tickets online and force us to call in and wait on hold for ridiculous waits to make simple changes (first class ticket no less!)? The website is so littered with jerky images and page issues its a become so annoying to even think about booking a ticket. It's one thing after the next with these clowns!

just gonna put this out there- do any of the reasons listed under the change flight conditions apply to your ticket?
Old Dec 24, 20, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 3MM 360
Originally Posted by KRUXED View Post
just gonna put this out there- do any of the reasons listed under the change flight conditions apply to your ticket?
NONE!
Old Dec 24, 20, 11:09 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
DL is using decades of old technology that is well below par that of most other airlines (back when it merged with NWA, it chose to keep its dead-end obsolete DeltaMatic vs. upgrade to the more full-featured NWA PARS system). It doesn't integrate well with newfangled things (to DL) like this thing called the Internet (fun fact: the DL reservations system has no concept of time, so if the web front-end wrapper breaks - as it does from time to time - you can book, right on dullta.com, negative connection times where your connecting flight departs before the arriving one is scheduled to land; time travel machine not included - bring your own, and make sure it fits in your carry-on bag). That, and DL never likes to invest in anything that would improve the customer experience. It's just the nature of the beast.

Good luck when you call. It's not uncommon to be on the phone for 2, 3, even 4 hours trying to make a simple routine flight change, required due to a flight cancellation or schedule change, with two, three, sometimes even four levels of DL escalation agents on the phone all at once. Don't expect it to be quick. It could be, but it also could be painfully slow. As a rule, it's not uncommon to spend as much time on the phone making or changing the reservation with DL as is the length of the flight (literally, for 10, 12h flights on numerous occasions that is how long it's taken with DL res on the phone to book and then have to change due to some change or cancellation).
Aloha1, btonkid12345, ryw and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 24, 20, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by p100a View Post
NONE!
I have only been able to make a change once and that was very early on in the pandemic and I wound up canceling that flight eventually anyway. The rest of the time it either does not give me the option to make the change (same as you, and likewise with none of the oddities listed) or it errors out before getting through the process. Its easiest just to cancel the ticket and rebook. Now that change fees have been eliminated there is zero reason to book round trip domestic tickets (I realize many international tickets have roundtrip pricing), so always book one ways. One way flights make it so much easier to navigate DL's continuous website issues.
Old Dec 24, 20, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL/UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Radisson Gold
Any ticket that undergoes a schedule change I am unable to do any manual online changes with. I also can't make changes with reservations made with eCredits. This has been the norm for some time. It'd be nice if they could fix both of these things. Would save the call centers a lot of time.
Old Dec 24, 20, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL PM
I have run into this problem repeatedly, and it is very frustrating. Someone on another thread once pointed out to me that in cases where you had an involuntary schedule change on the itinerary, you will not be able to make changes online until you ďacknowledgeĒ/ďacceptĒ the change on DL.com.

I havenít tried this personally, so I canít verify that this is indeed the case and YMMV, but it may be worth trying clicking the acknowledge/accept button on the trip page if there is an unacknowledged change and then trying to change online.

If this works for you, please report backóIím interested to know!
Old Dec 24, 20, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by KRUXED View Post
thatís such a joke of a question... have you even read the listed reasons?
Look at the last reason provided on the page

I would say itís such an open ended reason that itís evident why you need to call. By definition, DLís system canít handle it so you need to call in.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Dec 24, 20, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by demkr View Post
Any ticket that undergoes a schedule change I am unable to do any manual online changes with. I also can't make changes with reservations made with eCredits. This has been the norm for some time. It'd be nice if they could fix both of these things. Would save the call centers a lot of time.
Is "fix" the right term here? I mean, has it ever actually worked (reliably, I mean)?

IME the few times it "seemed" to work, in case of cancellation of first flight of two (xxx-ATL-yyy), it would only allow to "rebook" you by keeping the ATL-yyy flight, or changing that, but leaving it up to the passenger to use their personal teleportation device to get to ATL, that DL clearly believes to be the center of the universe (it clearly did not allow to change the flight that was cancelled or delayed, the logic was to simply remove it vs. bother to offer another flight). Either that or just LOOKING at potential changes and not accepting anything (not going past the search results page) it would totally wipe the ticket clean and remove all flights, with no notice online or e-mail, no refund - poof! - and your flights would be gone if you even dared to try to see what change options were offered online. Had that happen once, which according to res agent who had helluva time restoring the ticket, was not uncommon and I was told that I "should know better than to try to change flights online."
demkr likes this.
Old Dec 24, 20, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by cre95 View Post
thatís such a joke of a question... have you even read the listed reasons?
Look at the last reason provided on the page

I would say itís such an open ended reason that itís evident why you need to call. By definition, DLís system canít handle it so you need to call in.
Yeah, the "your reservation may require manual handling" is pretty stupid. They could literally list that as the only thing there because it pretty much covers all the rest.
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 24, 20, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL PM
In all my years of traveling I can only think of TWO times I was able to successfully make a voluntary change online. Summer 2019 I was able to change my destination airport and the system correctly waived the change fee as it was a refundable ticket. Then back in 2014 I was able to change BOTH the dates of travel and origin airport for an international itinerary (change fee was correctly charged). I can think of dozens of times I have had to call in to make similar changes, some involving a DL involuntary change, some not. It is majorly frustrating.
Old Dec 24, 20, 2:14 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Delta Silver
I have good luck with day of departure changes- the app is good at rebooking on the fly if Iím looking at a possible misconnect in ATL . Further out than that, not so much
Old Dec 24, 20, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
DL has mad things work better in last month or so.

For schedule changes, till accepted/rebooked and reticketed, no online change can be made.
Old Dec 24, 20, 5:13 pm

Programs: Non-Rev, SkyMiles, Global Entry
Ha, I think I have been able to manually change my flight only once, was flying from Florida through ATL up to LGA and the ATL-LGA leg got delayed so was able to change it to an HPN flight. This was back in 2015, every single other time I've had to call.
Old Dec 24, 20, 5:43 pm
ryw

Programs: WN A, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Luckily I haven't had to make many changes in my own experience (all pre-covid), but I found that I usually had to call in for those. I think I made an IRROPS change successfully in the app...once. Usually when the website does let me make changes online, there are no flight options better than sticking to my current itinerary

Search this Thread
Search Engine: