Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2020 rollover into 2021 starts Jan 3rd

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2020, 11:42 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
2020 rollover into 2021 starts Jan 3rd

Getting a jump on the "when will rollover post" thread

As posted on the DL site under SkyMiles News & Updates

2020 Rollover MQMs UpdateExclusive to Delta and special for this year, all SkyMiles Members, whether or not you have Medallion Status, will rollover all Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) you have in your account at the end of 2020 – giving you an even bigger jumpstart on earning 2022 Medallion Status.

2020 Rollover MQMs will begin posting in your account on January 3, 2021 and will be complete by approximately January 31, 2021.
(bolding added)

copying from last year's FT thread wiki:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...on-thread.html

2020 originally scheduled for January 6th, started posting on January 3rd.
2019 on January 7th (Monday, starting at mid-late morning in ATL)
2018 on January 8th
2017 on January 10th
2016 on January 12th
2015 on January 13th
2014 on January 14th
2013 on January 2nd
2012 on January 8th
2011 on January 5th
2010 on January 14th
gretchendz and BSAChris like this.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Zorak

(bolding added)

The past few years, DL has posted in advance when the rollover will start on their website so takes the fun out of guessing/speculating.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Somewhat less complicated this year as any late posting MQM's can just be added to total and they don't have to worry about a 2020 status bump potential reducing rollover amount (as can happen in normal years).
Old Dec 23, 2020, 2:23 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Gold
Any idea if there will be MQD reductions for 2021? I love all these rollover MQM, but it is going to be hard to get the MQD to go along with it, given international business travel is at a halt and will be for most if not all of 2021.
Spiff, rogo, jiburi and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 2:50 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by allseas1586
Any idea if there will be MQD reductions for 2021? I love all these rollover MQM, but it is going to be hard to get the MQD to go along with it, given international business travel is at a halt and will be for most if not all of 2021.
Plenty of speculation in the status extension thread: DL to Extend Status to Feb-2022 due to COVID 19 (Consolidated Thread)

but I doubt anyone who officially knows (if they have even decided) would leak it before any official announcement
Old Dec 23, 2020, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by allseas1586
Nothing has been announced and I am not really sure why not, unless DL is trying to encourage all their customers to switch to competitors. Competitors have all made announcements reducing their status requirements and the lack of certainty of what DL is going to do or not going to do during this this time of great uncertainty is really a slap in the face. It appears the strategy of chasing customers to competitors is working, as it was reported yesterday (can't find the article now) that there was an internal email stating that Ed was surprised to see a significant drop in bookings and market share at DL for Q1 travel. Not too much of a surprise to me.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 6:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
Originally Posted by The Situation
Nothing has been announced and I am not really sure why not, unless DL is trying to encourage all their customers to switch to competitors. Competitors have all made announcements reducing their status requirements and the lack of certainty of what DL is going to do or not going to do during this this time of great uncertainty is really a slap in the face. It appears the strategy of chasing customers to competitors is working, as it was reported yesterday (can't find the article now) that there was an internal email stating that Ed was surprised to see a significant drop in bookings and market share at DL for Q1 travel. Not too much of a surprise to me.
It's already working on me... I booked JetBlue instead of Delta because without clarity on the MQD change... I have no real way of knowing whether I will be Diamond again.

I have a second trip I'll likely book this week (for travel in February)... also will book JetBlue.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 8:03 pm

With covid and reduced international travel there is a massive gap between PM and DM. PM can easily be achieved with $25,000 of 2021 Amex spend and 75,000 of MQMs combined in 2020 and 2021. As of now to achieve DM you need $250,000 of Amex spend or $15,000 of MQDs. The MQDs are usually achievable with some international travel but with this curtailed my 2021 strategy will be to easily get PM and then focus on status with AA and/or Southwest.
lsquare, Adelphos and beachmouse like this.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 5:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by xliioper
Somewhat less complicated this year as any late posting MQM's can just be added to total and they don't have to worry about a 2020 status bump potential reducing rollover amount (as can happen in normal years).
However, with MQD requirements and waivers being reset on January 1st, for someone trying to move up in status, getting the MQMs credited to 2020 rather than 2021 can make a big difference. The sooner those MQMs are credited (for 2020), the sooner the person can start enjoying the new status, assuming they're traveling at all now.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 12:28 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, with MQD requirements and waivers being reset on January 1st, for someone trying to move up in status, getting the MQMs credited to 2020 rather than 2021 can make a big difference. The sooner those MQMs are credited (for 2020), the sooner the person can start enjoying the new status, assuming they're traveling at all now.
I was the person in another thread wondering if Delta would comp me the 84 MQMs I’ll be short for GM at the end of the year but if I ask and they say ‘no’ then worst case I hit the credit card waiver at sone point in the summer and I probably wouldn’t be flying much before then anyways.

It’s going to be stupidly easy for me to hit PM in 2021 and honestly I don’t deserve it because I’m so not a high value customer- I’m just a middle class mouse with a credit card and putting me in the same pool as the former DMs who couldn’t meet spend in 2021 is kind of an insult to actual HVCs

On the other hand, I’m not going to turn down what’s being offered and it’s making me more likely to view 2022 as an earn year instead of a burn year in case I can pull off keeping GM then so I guess Delta does get a token amount back for their pandemic response
Old Dec 27, 2020, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by beachmouse
I was the person in another thread wondering if Delta would comp me the 84 MQMs I’ll be short for GM at the end of the year but if I ask and they say ‘no’ then worst case I hit the credit card waiver at sone point in the summer and I probably wouldn’t be flying much before then anyways.

It’s going to be stupidly easy for me to hit PM in 2021 and honestly I don’t deserve it because I’m so not a high value customer- I’m just a middle class mouse with a credit card and putting me in the same pool as the former DMs who couldn’t meet spend in 2021 is kind of an insult to actual HVCs

On the other hand, I’m not going to turn down what’s being offered and it’s making me more likely to view 2022 as an earn year instead of a burn year in case I can pull off keeping GM then so I guess Delta does get a token amount back for their pandemic response
Those who are actively spending and using one of DLs branded AMEX cards are probably some of DLs most profitable customers these days with premium business international traffic essentially at a halt. All of DLs promos during COVID up to this point have gone to DL AMEX Platinum and Reserve cardholders and I’d expect that to continue into next year.
MSPeconomist and lsquare like this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Zorak

(bolding added)

I was just going to create a thread, but you beat me to it by more than a week! I logged into my account and everything was reset to 0.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Those who are actively spending and using one of DLs branded AMEX cards are probably some of DLs most profitable customers these days with premium business international traffic essentially at a halt. All of DLs promos during COVID up to this point have gone to DL AMEX Platinum and Reserve cardholders and I’d expect that to continue into next year.
I just cancelled my personal Delta Reserve card today. I only have the Delta Platinum Business and Delta Reserve Business cards left. With 3 cards in 2020, I put in a significant amount of spending. The promos have been great, but I wouldn't say it was really lucrative.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
With covid and reduced international travel there is a massive gap between PM and DM. PM can easily be achieved with $25,000 of 2021 Amex spend and 75,000 of MQMs combined in 2020 and 2021. As of now to achieve DM you need $250,000 of Amex spend or $15,000 of MQDs. The MQDs are usually achievable with some international travel but with this curtailed my 2021 strategy will be to easily get PM and then focus on status with AA and/or Southwest.
I agree. Platinum isn't hard to achieve. I'm sort of surprised that Delta isn't making it any easier to reach Diamond given the fact that we're still in the middle of a pandemic. It's not like those global certificates will be any easier to use in 2021 (certainly in the first half of the year).
Old Jan 1, 2021, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
I agree. Platinum isn't hard to achieve. I'm sort of surprised that Delta isn't making it any easier to reach Diamond given the fact that we're still in the middle of a pandemic. It's not like those global certificates will be any easier to use in 2021 (certainly in the first half of the year).
I think that there will be additional adjustments/promos to status for 2022 and DL is waiting to see how it all pans out. Ed has publicly came out today in a statement on the DL news hub expecting Q1 to be lost, with a possible recovery for business and more leisure travel returning in Q2 or Q3 depending on how quick the vaccine rollout gets to everyone and right now it’s looking slow process. With this being said, more adjustments will be made as this essentially throws out 25-50% of the year and they will make the adjustments when they know for sure how travel will look in Q3 and Q4.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.