Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Skyteam Elite/ Flying Blue Silver benefits on Delta (Consolidated Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skyteam Elite/ Flying Blue Silver benefits on Delta (Consolidated Threads)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2016, 3:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue
Skyteam Platinum members are equal but some are more equal then others

I am flying from AMSTERDAM to the US with my colleague. We booked the same flights, same fare and we are both Platinum. He is Delta Platinum, I am KLM platinum. He gets free comfort seats. I have to pay for the seats. When I contact DELTA they blame KLM. When I contact KLM they blame DELTA.

Skyteam? What is the "team" part of it.

Bought the seats in the end because to much hassle. (But had to pay in swedish kroner... )
Old Oct 15, 2016, 4:45 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
DL platinum is not equal to Flying Blue Platinum, as it is not the highest level.

DL Diamonds get economy comfort seats for free on KLM flights.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 6:39 am

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
From the delta.com partner elite benefits page:
"(5) KLM Economy Comfort is complimentary for Diamond and Platinum Medallion members, and is available for Gold and Silver Medallion members for a reduced fee."

Edit: OOPS, I reread and the OP is a Flying Blue Plat and the colleague is a PM, and not the other way around. So the colleague got the free seat as it appears they should have, but now I'm even more confused than before as to why the OP would have to pay. I guess I would need to brush up on the breakdown of FB benefits.

Edit #2: Are we talking about a Delta flight here, or a KLM flight? If a Delta flight, then never mind on the above quote, and it sounds like the colleague still should have the free seat, but again, I'm not sure what benefits FB elites get on Delta flights.

Last edited by Saidoh; Oct 15, 2016 at 6:50 am
Old Oct 15, 2016, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer
.....we are both Platinum. He is Delta Platinum, I am KLM platinum......
There is no such thing as Skyteam Platinum members. You can be DL Platinum, KL Platinum, KE Morning Calm Premium or CI Emerald, etc. They are all Skyteam Elite Plus level yet with different benefits from issuing airlines.

Last edited by TerryK; Oct 15, 2016 at 7:45 am
Old Oct 15, 2016, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Many airlines treat their own elites better than they treat elites of the same level from partner programs. For example, its common to prioritize one's own elites for OPUPs or to give upgrades only to one's own elites. Any benefits that partner elites get that aren't required by alliance rules would be above and beyond published benefits.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 10:08 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond
How long before the flight was all this taking place? There is a new (worse) policy for FB Elite on Delta flights. Read note 5 at the bottom: https://www.flyingblue.com/about-fly...s/scheme4.html
Old Oct 15, 2016, 10:17 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Friend of my who is also a FB Plat was able to get free/complimentary Delta EC+ seats on a TATL flight & you should get them for free according to KLM (after the ticket is issued, don't try it during the booking process):
https://www.klm.com/travel/nl_en/fly...s/platinum.htm

Delta Comfort+ on Delta Air Lines flights⁶ Comfort+ seat free of charge at the time of booking⁷

⁷ Since 2 June 2016, complimentary Delta Comfort+ seat upgrade are available on direct flights operated by Delta between North America and Europe via the seat map. For all other flights, Flying Blue Elite and Elite Plus members are required to request their Comfort+ upgrade during the booking process as a fare product rather than a paid seat product, and this can be done via delta.com or the Fly Delta app, at a Delta kiosk, through Delta Reservations or select other channels including travel agencies. On the day of departure, all Delta Comfort+ seats will be assigned to eligible Flying Blue members according to availability. Delta Comfort+ seats cannot be reserved on a Basic Economy (E) fare ticket, regardless of Flying Blue Elite status.

But this goes on for years now. Do a search and you will see plenty of stories from DL DM and PM members trying to get a KL EC seat and/orgetting bumped out of those KL EC seats.
Welcome to the seamless JV.
Curious: If you login at Delta.com what's your status?
Old Oct 15, 2016, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I am flying from AMSTERDAM to the US with my colleague. We booked the same flights, same fare and we are both Platinum. He is Delta Platinum, I am KLM platinum. He gets free comfort seats. I have to pay for the seats. When I contact DELTA they blame KLM. When I contact KLM they blame DELTA.

Skyteam? What is the "team" part of it.

Bought the seats in the end because to much hassle. (But had to pay in swedish kroner... )
No different from any of the other alliances. Each airline normally treats there own elites to more benefits then others. Only the agreed to alliance wide elite levels apply when on another airline. In case of Skyteam that means being Elite or Elite+.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by TerryK
There is no such thing as Skyteam Platinum members. You can be DL Platinum, KL Platinum, KE Morning Calm Premium or CI Emerald, etc. They are all Skyteam Elite Plus level yet with different benefits from issuing airlines.
If the OP likes Delta benefits, let him become a Delta SkyMiles elite. Air carriers compete along multiple vectors, including elements of the frequent flyer program.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue
Booked the tickets Thursday and flying next Saturday. I could not select seats as the system said I had to wait 24hours.
I twittered with Delta but no answer. KLM tried but could not do anything. Rules fine but kl platinum should be the same as delta platinum in a TEAM.

Bought the seats but feel a bit

Last edited by Meneer Guggenheimer; Oct 16, 2016 at 3:11 am
Old Oct 16, 2016, 5:06 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
You should fill a claim afterwards because no matter if it's KL or DL metal, both SM and FB platinum are eligible for free C+ or Eco Comfort at booking on TALT flights.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 5:36 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Booked the tickets Thursday and flying next Saturday. I could not select seats as the system said I had to wait 24hours.

KLM tried but could not do anything
Sounds like KLM didn't issue your ticket yet. Would have wait 24 hours or make a reservation over the phone and let the agent issue the ticket and select the seats. This works with the Delta DM desk.
And...HUCA until you get a decent KL agent

Last edited by Grouchy; Oct 16, 2016 at 5:42 am
Old Oct 16, 2016, 11:48 am

I twittered with Delta but no answer. KLM tried but could not do anything. Rules fine but kl platinum should be the same as delta platinum in a TEAM.

Bought the seats but feel a bit

Do you think all KLM and Delta Platinum customers should receive complimentary upgrades before any Delta Silver Medallions on Delta flights?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:47 am

Programs: AF/KL Platinum, TK *G, BA Silver
Skyteam Elite Plus - free baggage on Delta award ticket?

I've searched for an answer to this but I'm still not clear, so I'd be grateful for any advice.

I'm a Flying Blue Platinum member. I've booked an award ticket for a domestic flight on Delta in Economy, using Flying Blue miles through the AF website. Through the Delta website I am able to select seats, including preferred seats, for no charge. But I can't find my baggage allowance, the website says baggage fees will be assessed at check in.

Does anyone have experience of whether I'll be entitled to a free bag on this ticket?

Thanks very much.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:57 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Google bag allowance delta elites ( it will also show for sky team plus)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.