Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta will require negative COVID test to board UK-NYC flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2020, 3:39 pm
S.R
Original Poster

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

Looks like DL and BA are going to require a negative test result to board flights from the UK to NY. Seems like an interesting move to have it just for this one state, what about those connecting?

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...-says/2642307/
Old Dec 21, 2020, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by S.R
Looks like DL and BA are going to require a negative test result to board flights from the UK to NY. Seems like an interesting move to have it just for this one state, what about those connecting?

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...-says/2642307/
Seems like if you're connecting you're better off just not doing so at JFK.
S.R, Brandinho1 and hi55us like this.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 5:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The NYS governor (Cuomo the elder brother) was saying on TV yesterday that we should close the border to England.

I wonder whether this is a new NYS/NYC rule rather than a rule imposed by the airlines. Does anyone else fly LHR-JFK nonstop now? (AA and BA have a JV, and IIRC earlier there was talk of them setting up a joint quarantine-free travel corridor with testing requirements).
Old Dec 21, 2020, 5:28 pm

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
AA has dropped their JFKLHR flight for the holidays. I believe their only trans Atlantic flight is DFWLHR at 1 per day.

DL/BA/VS are the only ones flying into JFK. UA’s flight is not under NYS jurisdiction.

I don’t think NYS has the ability to regulate who can arrive internationally as that’s under federal jurisdiction. However JFK is port authority property and under joint jurisdiction so I guess NYS could ban certain people from accessing the facility. If this resulted in US citizen being barred from entering, I guess it would end up in federal court and who knows what’s the outcome.

I would think when you have a request directly coming from the governor, airlines will do it even if they are not required to do so under federal law. You don’t want to be a pain with the state gov.

if you don’t want to get a test, fly UA to EWR.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 6:21 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by hansyuwiwb
I don’t think NYS has the ability to regulate who can arrive internationally as that’s under federal jurisdiction. However JFK is port authority property and under joint jurisdiction so I guess NYS could ban certain people from accessing the facility. If this resulted in US citizen being barred from entering, I guess it would end up in federal court and who knows what’s the outcome.
Hawai has imposed this, so do not know why NY could not,

As far as Port Authority ownership giving NY control, are you dissing us Jersey boys?
Old Dec 21, 2020, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
This feels like vaccine theater big time at this point -- there's no chance that strain hasn't already arrived or will independent of these measures (among other reasons it's very likely the strain has already left the UK for other parts of Europe where flights to/from the US continue without testing requirements......)

Now if this was being done broadly going forward as part of a comprehensive testing plan that's a different story but doing this to try to keep that single strain out is a joke
cmd320 and Silver Fox like this.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 9:12 pm

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Hawai has imposed this, so do not know why NY could not,

As far as Port Authority ownership giving NY control, are you dissing us Jersey boys?
HI has a quarantine order, not an entry ban. Any US citizen can still fly to Hawaii without a test, so long as they quarantine for 14 days.
NYS already has a quarantine order, so that's not new. Can NYS legally prevent US citizens from arriving internationally into JFK? I don't think so (I guess unless they can somehow make CBP cease operations or close JFK all together). They can require such person to do whatever after they arrive, but they don't have authority over who is eligible for admission into the United States.

I know EWR is also run by Port Authority. However Port Authority itself does not have legal jurisdiction. They can only enforce NYS laws in NYS, and NJ laws in NJ. Since NJ does not have such rules, they are not going to enforce NYS rules in NJ.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 9:48 pm

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
The way this is being phrased is not that NYS is banning people from entering or even mandating the testing. They have negotiated with the airlines to mandate the testing. And if an airline wants to require testing as a condition of boarding, sure seems like their prerogative.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 10:33 pm

borders should be closed if there is viable threat

testing is theater

just because someone tests negative, doesnt mean they can't be spreading the virus, and they can show positive the next day (assuming the test is accurate, this is just how the virus works)

also, there are plenty of issues with many tests that can yield false positives/negatives
Duke787 and Silver Fox like this.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 6:25 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
This particular virus mutation is already present in Australia, not to mention Iceland, Denmark, Italy, Belgium, Germany..... Just closing the doors to pax from the UK seems fairly pointless.
Silver Fox, cmd320 and Duke787 like this.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by 1P
This particular virus mutation is already present in Australia, not to mention Iceland, Denmark, Italy, Belgium, Germany..... Just closing the doors to pax from the UK seems fairly pointless.
Honestly it’s probably already present here too. They just don’t know/haven’t taken the time to figure it out.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 7:56 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Duke787
This feels like vaccine theater big time at this point -- there's no chance that strain hasn't already arrived or will independent of these measures (among other reasons it's very likely the strain has already left the UK for other parts of Europe where flights to/from the US continue without testing requirements......)

Now if this was being done broadly going forward as part of a comprehensive testing plan that's a different story but doing this to try to keep that single strain out is a joke
Pretty much this. At this point, not a lot of upside to this. Maybe if this had been ready in March or April it would be a different story. It is what it is I guess....
Old Dec 22, 2020, 12:00 pm

The announcement is now up on the Delta travel agent site:

Delta will require new pre-departure COVID-19 testing for all customers traveling from the U.K to the United States. Delta's joint venture partner Virgin Atlantic is also implementing this new requirement.

Beginning December 24th, all passengers flying from the United Kingdom to the United States, or transiting through the United States, are required to show proof of a negative PCR or LAMP COVID-19 test taken less than 72 hours prior to departure. Passengers will be required to show proof of the negative test result prior to boarding their flight from the UK. Passengers originating travel outside of the U.K. and transiting through the U.K. are exempt from this requirement.

We recommend that passengers get tested prior to arrival at the airport. For additional information, please visit the list of U.K. approved testing providers to find a testing center prior to travel. Testing is also available at London-Heathrow (LHR) airport; more information is also available for LHR airport testing and to schedule a test. Travelers should arrive four hours early to the airport to allow extra time to get your test if you have not done so in advance.
It appears the scope has expanded to the entirety of the US, so this would also include LAX, ATL, and BOS.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mysterym
borders should be closed if there is viable threat

testing is theater

just because someone tests negative, doesnt mean they can't be spreading the virus, and they can show positive the next day (assuming the test is accurate, this is just how the virus works)

also, there are plenty of issues with many tests that can yield false positives/negatives
I also dislike because this is a state level order/request. I feel that with aviation, things should be done at national level. Otherwise passengers just route through another city. Only thing it does is add one more point of confusion.
bretthexum likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.