DL462 Slide Incident

Old Dec 21, 20, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
DL462 Slide Incident

Sounds like a pax blew a slide on taxi, possibly with a dog in tow. A321 was operating LGA-ATL.

FlightAware showing still taxiing after nearly 3 hours. https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N357DN

Taxi track: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/a...357dn#265f4fb3

DL462 is now delayed more than 8 hours.

Last edited by DLASflyer; Dec 21, 20 at 11:07 am
Old Dec 21, 20, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DLASflyer View Post
Sounds like a pax blew a slide on taxi, possibly with a dog in tow. A321 was operating LGA-ATL.

FlightAware showing still taxiing after nearly 3 hours. https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N357DN

Taxi track: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/a...357dn#265f4fb3

DL462 is now delayed more than 8 hours.
That's a long taxi. Isn't the plane required to return to the gate after three hours or pay a bug fine to DOT?

BTW, why was the passenger with dog messing with the slide on an active runway?

ADDED: Delayed to 7 pm sounds bad, but I know that these slides are expensive and time-consuming to re-do after they've been deployed.
jspira likes this.
Old Dec 21, 20, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
How does this happen during taxi on an A321? All exits are door exits manned by FAs. During taxi no pax should have been up and moving around either.
Old Dec 21, 20, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
How does this happen during taxi on an A321? All exits are door exits manned by FAs. During taxi no pax should have been up and moving around either.
I sat in 13A the other day and that exit could easily be opened before the FA three seats away could do anything. They are designed to be opened fast and easily.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
That's a long taxi. Isn't the plane required to return to the gate after three hours or pay a bug fine to DOT?.
Doubt the tarmac delay rule applies when the plane is stopped for safety reasons after an emergency exit was opened.
Old Dec 21, 20, 2:46 pm

Programs: Flowback jumpseat cubic zirconium. DL FO, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
paging Steven Slater!
wrp96 likes this.
Old Dec 21, 20, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DLASflyer View Post
I sat in 13A the other day and that exit could easily be opened before the FA three seats away could do anything. They are designed to be opened fast and easily.
I've sat at the 2L on an A321 a number of times (it's one of the only economy seats I'll sit in on the aircraft) and while I could pretty easily raise the handle from the seat, I think I'd have a very hard time physically opening the door while seated.

It would be interesting to see what actually happened.

On a side note, it also seems like the doors on Delta's A321s are designed differently than the ones on AA's A321s. On AA there's an arming lever to activate/deactivate the slide. Delta's seem to have some kind of pin and string.

Last edited by cmd320; Dec 21, 20 at 6:58 pm Reason: Corrected butchered sentence
Old Dec 21, 20, 6:56 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yeah, I want to know the whole story. I hope no one thought the aircraft exit was a doggy door.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Dec 21, 20, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

"Two passengers and a service dog slid off an airplane's inflatable slide as it was preparing to depart from LaGuardia Airport to Atlanta Monday morning after one of the passengers opened the plane's emergency doors. A Port Authority spokesperson said the two passengers were taken into police custody but had not been charged by Monday evening.

A Delta spokesperson said there was no security threat or on-board emergency that would have prompted opening the emergency doors."

https://www.pix11.com/news/local-new...th-service-dog
cmd320 and FlyDeltaMD88 like this.
Old Dec 21, 20, 7:22 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Were they at least wearing their masks? DL will ban them if they werenít compliant.
Old Dec 21, 20, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PP, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post

On a side note, it also seems like the doors on Delta's A321s are designed differently than the ones on AA's A321s. On AA there's an arming lever to activate/deactivate the slide. Delta's seem to have some kind of pin and string.
At least the ex-US Airways ones are, I believe, "permanently" armed at doors 2/3 (hence the big lever in the down position with "ARMED" printed across it). While there is usually no access to door 2/3 anyway for boarding/service trucks, it may be an option (I've seen Lufthansa get a jet bridge up to door 2 - I believe the jetway has to be specially equipped so as not to come too close to the engine). The pin and ribbon with "remove before flight" is the standard Airbus setup for the arming lever, and would be found on doors 1 and 4.
Old Dec 21, 20, 7:28 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
But seriously, I had no idea a pax w/service animal could be in/near an exit row...
MSPeconomist and ryw like this.
Old Dec 21, 20, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by SeaHawg View Post
But seriously, I had no idea a pax w/service animal could be in/near an exit row...
They certainly shouldn't be in an exit row, either the animal or someone who needs a service animal, although I've heard of FAs flying non rev with their emotional support animals. (that worries me in terms of how they would handle an emergency.)

Perhaps the dog had an accident and masks just weren't enough to avoid the smell, so people had to escape and the dog followed.
SeaHawg likes this.
Old Dec 21, 20, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFTNYC View Post
At least the ex-US Airways ones are, I believe, "permanently" armed at doors 2/3 (hence the big lever in the down position with "ARMED" printed across it). While there is usually no access to door 2/3 anyway for boarding/service trucks, it may be an option (I've seen Lufthansa get a jet bridge up to door 2 - I believe the jetway has to be specially equipped so as not to come too close to the engine). The pin and ribbon with "remove before flight" is the standard Airbus setup for the arming lever, and would be found on doors 1 and 4.
Lever with ARMED is definitely there, but they disarm those doors (at least 2L/R) on arrival. I know because they always do it right in front of me.
DLASflyer likes this.
Old Dec 21, 20, 9:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by SeaHawg View Post
More details here. They seemed to be moving seats prior to takeoff. Odd that didnít get them booted or at least flagged sooner.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/21/n...e=articleShare
cmd320 and SeaHawg like this.
Old Dec 21, 20, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I've heard of FAs flying non rev with their emotional support animals. (that worries me in terms of how they would handle an emergency.)
If they're not working the flight then their role in an emergency is no different than any other pax.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: