Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Drops 72 Hour Rule for Award Cancellations

Delta Drops 72 Hour Rule for Award Cancellations

Old Dec 21, 2020, 7:03 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
I'm wondering why international origination tickets can't qualify...

TYO-based flyer here.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I think due to the no change fees covid waivers, the 72hr rule was effectively canceled for much of this year anyway... as I've had flights where I made last minute changes inside T-72 such as changing it by a day or rebooking due to the mileage dropping.

I would think it should be pretty easy for DL to monitor and catch those who abuse it by booking and canceling last minute to try to score an upgrade, or having multiple conflicting bookings to different destinations.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
I'm wondering why international origination tickets can't qualify...

TYO-based flyer here.
JV agreements. Just like DL charges YQ for awards ex-Europe.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Did they run the 98K J roundtrip sale to Europe/Asia this year?
No - they raised the one-way J saver fare to 95K instead.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Can we cancel award tickets now up until the departure? Does that work online or do you need to call the helpdesk if you're within a certain period of time?
Old Sep 1, 2021, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
Can we cancel award tickets now up until the departure? Does that work online or do you need to call the helpdesk if you're within a certain period of time?
Must call within 72hrs.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Must call within 72hrs.
This hasn't been my experience, have recently cancelled several (domestic) award tickets online a couple hours from departure.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by aacar
This hasn't been my experience, have recently cancelled several (domestic) award tickets online a couple hours from departure.
All mine have involved international. The website wont allow cancellation or changes within 72hrs. Just had one last night that needed to cancel. (OTP-AMS-ATL-SAT) Had to call in.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Must call within 72hrs.
I have recently canceled many in less than 72 hours with zero pushback from a basic members account.
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 3:11 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Per TPG and OMAAT:

TPG notes the redeposit fee no longer applies in these cases anyways, regardless of whether youre PM/DM or not:
  • Booked on or after Aug. 31, 2020, for travel within the U.S. (including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands).
  • Booked on or after Dec. 9, 2020, for travel originating from North America to anywhere in the world.
  • Booked on or after Dec. 9, 2020, for travel between the U.S., Mexico and the Caribbean.
Just to confirm that a partner award from Europe to Mexico would not qualify for free cancellation after 24 hours if you have no status? Seems strange that it is free to cancel if travelling from Mexico to Europe but not the other way around but if thems are the rules, so be it.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Enigma368
Just to confirm that a partner award from Europe to Mexico would not qualify for free cancellation after 24 hours if you have no status? Seems strange that it is free to cancel if travelling from Mexico to Europe but not the other way around but if thems are the rules, so be it.
Correct.

Not unusual for airlines. I think they may have to pay partners a fee if cancelled within X days. Also could just be because partner inventory is hard to come by.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 6:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It could also be a competitive thing, in that if European carriers aren't offering free cancellation of their award tickets on the route, DL would feel less compelled to do so. Also, one would expect that most (but of course not all) DL FFers live in the USA, so most award RTs would originate in the USA too.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 7:08 am

I just tried to cancel a domestic MC award ticket within 72 hours and the agent said the points would be forfeited. I thought this rule was eliminated in December 2020. She said it was recently reinstated. I never saw any announcement of this reinstatement. So I asked her to please even exchange the ticket for any dummy date in the future with the same mileage amounts. Once this was done with the new dates I asked her to then cancel it for a full refund of my miles which she did. Who makes up these crazy rules?
ACR2013 likes this.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Feb 13, 2022 at 5:30 am
Old Feb 11, 2022, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I just tried to cancel a domestic award ticket within 72 hours and the agent said the points would be forfeited. I thought this rule was eliminated in December 2020. She said it was recently reinstated. I never saw any announcement of this reinstatement. So I asked her to please even exchange the ticket for any dummy date in the future with the same mileage amounts. Once this was done with the new dates I asked her to then cancel it for a full refund of my miles which she did. Who makes up these crazy rules?
72 hour rule is no longer in place. Did you try doing it online first?
rylan likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Sounds like a confused agent perhaps. Or did you have a basic econ ticket?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.