Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Time Travelling under COVID Change Rules, Situational Question Given Work Flux

First Time Travelling under COVID Change Rules, Situational Question Given Work Flux

Old Dec 10, 2020, 4:50 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by garykung
Long story short - I would drive instead.
I wish the OP would have followed this strategy. I gave up reading less than half way.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 6:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This is a tough crowd.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 6:59 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by mattp1987
One other thing to note is that depending on any schedule changes that have occurred since you booked the ticket you might have additional flexibility. Assuming the ticket was purchased after July 30, the threshold for a free change or a refund is 120 minutes. It also looks like those flights are operated by DL Connection on a CRJ9. If they were originally mainline Delta flights when you book, that's considered a schedule change as well.

If you did have such a schedule change, you might be able to convince an agent to change your flight by a day rather than rerouting to a connecting flight on the same day. Additionally, if you choose to drive it would allow you to receive a full refund for your ticket rather than having the money tied up as a Delta e-credit.
That's a very good point. If the flight has had any schedule change by Delta, agents are usually flexible and willing to change dates. You just have to say something to the effect of "there was a schedule change, the new time doesn't work for me, so I need to travel on a different day." I have had no issues getting this done with schedule changes less than 120 minutes.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus cattle, DL SkyPesos peon, HHonors Blue
Originally Posted by tardyturtle
That's a very good point. If the flight has had any schedule change by Delta, agents are usually flexible and willing to change dates. You just have to say something to the effect of "there was a schedule change, the new time doesn't work for me, so I need to travel on a different day." I have had no issues getting this done with schedule changes less than 120 minutes.
That would be a perfect situation, if I ended up needing to change but DL made a change triggering that clause.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 10:38 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LHCVG
That would be a perfect situation, if I ended up needing to change but DL made a change triggering that clause.
​​Tell Elrich to pay you for the lost wages if he wants to shut down the restaurants!
Old Dec 13, 2020, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
As others mentioned, I had a little bit of a hard time following.

I think the bottom line is that you can cancel or change the trip plans at any time--even after taking the outbound on a round trip. All residual funds will be left in your account as a travel credit which you have a year to use (I think a year from booking your original flight, but others could clarify if I'm mistaken). This essentially allows an unlimited number of "changes" to your plans while retaining the value of the original ticket. Just note that if you make changes to your trip closer to your travel dates, fare prices may have increased and you'll be responsible for any difference in fare between what you originally booked and the new flights. That is going to be the biggest issue you are likely to run into if you change your flights.

Regarding just no-showing vs. calling to cancel, I know that at least early on in the pandemic they would automatically issue a credit if you no-show. Not sure if this ever changed, but my policy has always been to actively cancel. You can do this on Delta.com or call an agent.

Also note that it seems if you have already made a change to a reservation, any subsequent changes (E.g., second change and beyond) have to be handled by a reservation agent by phone (the website won't let you for some reason).
You can make multiple changes to a ticket online. Heck I just did one where I changed an existing reservation and used an ecredit to pay for the fare difference.

Only time you shouldn't be able online to change is if a certificate was used to upgrade (includes mileage awards), if you checked in already (I just cancel auto checkin for this reason), if part of a group reservation, or some oddball error. The system is a lot better than it once was in this regard.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

That's good to know!
Old Dec 13, 2020, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
You can make multiple changes to a ticket online. Heck I just did one where I changed an existing reservation and used an ecredit to pay for the fare difference.

Only time you shouldn't be able online to change is if a certificate was used to upgrade (includes mileage awards), if you checked in already (I just cancel auto checkin for this reason), if part of a group reservation, or some oddball error. The system is a lot better than it once was in this regard.
Hrm... none of those apply to my situation. The only thing I can think of is that I never "confirmed"/acknowledged the schedule change with Delta prior to trying to make the change. Maybe I need to acknowledge the change before making more changes?
Old Dec 14, 2020, 2:00 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Montgomery County, eh? ugh, so sorry about the coming shut down...
Old Dec 14, 2020, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by koreanair720
Montgomery County, eh? ugh, so sorry about the coming shut down...
Yes indeed, no one knows anything other than the proposed change, but so far they've always gotten their wish. Making a go of it seems problematic, but that's what we're hearing from Management so far.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Hrm... none of those apply to my situation. The only thing I can think of is that I never "confirmed"/acknowledged the schedule change with Delta prior to trying to make the change. Maybe I need to acknowledge the change before making more changes?
Yes. Until it shows as accepted/rebooked it won't allow a change online.
tardyturtle likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.