FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   JFK Baggage Collection (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2029718-jfk-baggage-collection.html)

DLATL777 Dec 5, 2020 6:34 am

JFK Baggage Collection

Question for those that might have done this by accident cause of a missed flight or something similar.

I am flying LAX-JFK in January (in J). I have an 8 hour layover before my EK flight to DXB and 5 hours between check-in openings. Unfortunately on this trip I will be forced to check a bag. Since I will have the bag ill need to leave the secured area, claim my bag, and re check in with EK (but since I have 5 hours, if I do this, ill be stuck in the check-in area). For those thinking it, the trick that some use of buying a refundable ticket to get back behind security wont work cause I still have a checked bag to contend with.

My current plan is simply to stay in the SkyDump or Centurion Lounge until the 3 hour mark then go get my bag and proceed as normal with check in. Question is, if I leave my bag on the belt, what will DL at JFK do with it for the 5 hours and will I be able to locate/pick it up with ease?

flyerCO Dec 5, 2020 6:43 am

Originally Posted by DLATL777 (Post 32864471)
Question for those that might have done this by accident cause of a missed flight or something similar.

I am flying LAX-JFK in January (in J). I have an 8 hour layover before my EK flight to DXB and 5 hours between check-in openings. Unfortunately on this trip I will be forced to check a bag. Since I will have the bag ill need to leave the secured area, claim my bag, and re check in with EK (but since I have 5 hours, if I do this, ill be stuck in the check-in area). For those thinking it, the trick that some use of buying a refundable ticket to get back behind security wont work cause I still have a checked bag to contend with.

My current plan is simply to stay in the SkyDump or Centurion Lounge until the 3 hour mark then go get my bag and proceed as normal with check in. Question is, if I leave my bag on the belt, what will DL at JFK do with it for the 5 hours and will I be able to locate/pick it up with ease?

They'll simply pullit and put in bag office. I've done this many times.

DLATL777 Dec 5, 2020 7:00 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 32864485)
They'll simply pullit and put in bag office. I've done this many times.

Perfect. With limited flights to/from JFK do we know if the bag office has changed their hours? This will be around 8pm on a Sunday night.

flyerCO Dec 5, 2020 7:17 am

Originally Posted by DLATL777 (Post 32864514)
Perfect. With limited flights to/from JFK do we know if the bag office has changed their hours? This will be around 8pm on a Sunday night.

Someone will be there till after last arrival of night. Even if office locked up, can find a DL employee and they can access the office.

DLATL777 Dec 5, 2020 9:54 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 32864541)
Someone will be there till after last arrival of night. Even if office locked up, can find a DL employee and they can access the office.

Great. Is the Baggage office right there where the carousels are or is it outside the double doors near the transfer desk?

MSPeconomist Dec 5, 2020 10:05 am

You always run some risk of theft if you're not at the belt to retrieve your bag when it arrives.

Cory6188 Dec 5, 2020 10:14 am

Originally Posted by DLATL777 (Post 32864811)
Great. Is the Baggage office right there where the carousels are or is it outside the double doors near the transfer desk?

It's on the right side, next to the last domestic carousel. You can't really miss it.

bgasser Dec 5, 2020 11:50 am

Why not find the room rate for the TWA Hotel by T5? It maybe reasonable with the low traffic at JFK and you can shower and take a nap for your 8 hours.

flyerCO Dec 5, 2020 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by bgasser (Post 32865055)
Why not find the room rate for the TWA Hotel by T5? It maybe reasonable with the low traffic at JFK and you can shower and take a nap for your 8 hours.

TWA hotel is overpriced and isn't easily accessible despite appearing to look that way.

DLATL777 Dec 5, 2020 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 32865120)
TWA hotel is overpriced and isn't easily accessible despite appearing to look that way.

Agreed. Its $150+ tax for what will end up being 3 hours by the time I get over there. Not worth it or the hassle.

flyerCO Dec 5, 2020 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by DLATL777 (Post 32865167)
Agreed. Its $150+ tax for what will end up being 3 hours by the time I get over there. Not worth it or the hassle.

$150 is actually a very low rate at the TWA. Before CV19 a lot of times you couldn't book a day use rate for $150, muchless an overnight. Regardless, agree $150 is not worth it for 3 hours.

MSPeconomist Dec 5, 2020 2:00 pm

IIRC the TWA hotel has day rates starting with a four hour room block. Also, I think I saw a recent advanced purchase rate (the place has a seven day cancel policy anyway) starting at $144 for an overnight stay.

You could even take your luggage to the TWA hotel and get a drink or snack, either with luggage or after leaving it with a bell person. Unfortunately the top deck bar and pool seem to be restricted to hotel guests and the Connie lounge is closed.

DLATL777 Dec 5, 2020 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 32865261)
IIRC the TWA hotel has day rates starting with a four hour room block. Also, I think I saw a recent advanced purchase rate (the place has a seven day cancel policy anyway) starting at $144 for an overnight stay.

You could even take your luggage to the TWA hotel and get a drink or snack, either with luggage or after leaving it with a bell person. Unfortunately the top deck bar and pool seem to be restricted to hotel guests and the Connie lounge is closed.

The 4 hour blocks dont cover evening time frames. They have a 12 hour day use and a 6 hour day use but they both are 8-8 and 11am-6pm, respectively. At least online, walk-ups may be different.

Plus, I live in the city, If I wanted to leave the airport id use that $150 to do the hour drive each-way to manhattan. Its just not worth it to me, Id rather wait in the lounge. Minimal logistics and no cost.

MSPeconomist Dec 5, 2020 3:03 pm

Then I'd vote for the TWA hotel as a pleasant/interesting place for a landside drink or snack. I'm not aware of any landside lounges that you can access at JFK (since T4 was renovated). If you have five hours, going into NYC is likely to be risky if there's any traffic and not worth it for the time you'd have at home (unless it's convenient to drop off dirty laundry etc. at home).

dsftm Dec 5, 2020 3:09 pm

Your bags will be fine, they'll store in the Baggage Office and will most likely give you a call after an employee has picked it up from the carousel. Theft is rare.