Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Gifts Employees Travel Passes as Thank You

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Gifts Employees Travel Passes as Thank You

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2020, 6:10 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by cmd320
Who said it has no value?

Obviously for Delta there is value in trying to improve employee morale at a time when it’s quite low, especially since they’re designing facets of the operation to center around avoiding FA unionization.
If treating your employees better than their union peers is “designing facets of the operation to center around avoiding FA unionization”, then yes, DL does a great job.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
So the consensus seems to be that because this move wasn't devastatingly expensive to Delta, it has no value.

It doesn't matter that they provided a benefit to their employees that they didn't have to provide.

you people make me sad.
No one has said that. Yes there's great good will value. However unlike the first message boast about money not being an issue, there's no real expense. In very few case will these cost DL anymore than offering an empty seat at gate would. Actually depending how early they book, DL may even gain money as the flight will be fuller (thus one less low fare class seat pushing passenger into higher fare bucket).

DLs product is one that expires instantly. Once the plane leaves, an empty seat can't still be resold. The plane incurs the same costs if full or has 1 passenger on it.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Why would an employee, who has full access to the booking data, use a free poisitive space pass on a flight that wasn't likely to be full? If it's not full, they can travel for free without using the PS pass.
Perhaps because they want to ensure they travel on a set date/time without wondering. Perhaps they want to be higher priority for a D1 seat if available over those on standby. Etc...

Also these have fare class restrictions. Cant just book the last Y seat.

Last edited by flyerCO; Nov 27, 2020 at 9:32 am
Old Nov 27, 2020, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by steve64
In general, as an ex-AAirline employee myself, I wouldn't be so quick to assume the opportunity costs are so minor.
As Larry and others have said, an employee isn't going to use these on some last minute discretionary trip (many rainy DFW Saturday afternoons, I'd call Mom to see if she wants to go out for dinner tonight ... she lives in Tampa). These "positive space" (hold confirmed) passes will be used on the trips that I have to be there on a specific day (Brother's wedding), to the point that I would've purchased an advance fare ticket instead of risking non-rev.

I don't know about DL, but AA also offered unlimited ID20's. A 20 percent discount off any fare, any flight. Just like a "normal" passenger, the fare bucket I wanted had to be available and I had to comply with all fare rules. But an ID20 ticket is "hold confirmed" space, I can make seat assignments, earn miles, volunteer for oversale vouchers etc.
Over time (as my salary increased and as the internet grew [selling 'last minute' seats at substantial discounts]) I flew via ID20's more than on non-rev passes. I became AA Gold and one of FT's earlier members.
Every such pass given to me would be ID20 revenue lost. I did not require the flight to depart full to have lost that revenue.

Revenue is revenue. Period.
Any empty seat at departure (for almost any reason except IIROPS) is a failure of YM to 100% optimize the fare mix for that flight.

In an "absolute sense", most people think that it's the high fare tickets (and cargo) that makes the money.
The truth is that it took full mixture of all the tickets sold to eeek out a small profit. An airline can choose to only sell seats at the high fare buckets, but the plane is likely to go out half full and loose money. Or they can sell all seats at low fares, likely selling all seats, but still losing money.
It is the "optimized mixture" of fares that make a flight profitable.

Combing that "optimized mixture" concept with "passenger purchase behavior" changes the thought process.
While the high fares are needed, they are considered as simply "paying the bill" to operate the flight. The profit, if any, came from the lower fare buckets.
Those high fare tickets are more likely to have been passengers that were going to take the flight anyhow. To get the fare mix that the flight had requires, the airline to have lured in some discretionary passengers. They do this with low fares.

Most discretionary passengers don't think the same way as your typical FT'er. They aren't as likely to consider themselves as being loyal to any specific airline or hub captives etc. Their #1 purchase criteria is price. A $10 difference can be enough to make the sale.
If a DL employee has "purchased" a seat on the 2pm departure, that's one less seat to offer at that fare bucket's price. Even if they didn't take the last seat from that bucket, it is still more likely that bucket will sell out before departure. If a potential cusotmer is shopping after the bucket is sold out, then they'll see the 6pm departure $20 cheaper than the desired 2pm flight. They may purchase the 6pm, or they might go to AA.com and find (and purchase !!) a 2:15pm flight at the $20 lower fare.
DL has lost the revenue. It makes no difference if the flight ends up departing full or not.

To combine my thoughts with yours ....
When determining if there was an "opportunity cost" in providing a $0 positive space ticket for a given flight, it's irrelevant if the flight went out full or not.
What is relevant is if the specific fare class(es) that the employee ticket qualifies for, were ever sold out. In the pre-Covid world, those lower fare buckets will zero out (from sales or YM tweaking) on most flights. If those bucket(s) ever hit zero after the employee removed a seat from inventory, then it's highly likely there will be an opportunity cost for providing the pass. The fact that the passes will remain valid in a "post Covid world" means the possibility of there being an opportunity cost rises.
Simply looking st the fare class the employee books has zero to do with it. For a flight you have to look at the entire flight as a whole. This is what I feel some are not getting. Just as likely as pushing a passenger away, you're likely to get a price insensitive passenger to pay more.

Again, I'm not saying there's zero opportunity cost with these. There will indeed be some on some of these tickets. However the millions and millions of dollars some are suggesting are just not realistic opportunity costs.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 9:55 am

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
the value is in the eye of the user for these passes. There are over 70K+ employees and probably just as many opinions on what to do with them.

Yes they are upgradeable, on day of departure they go onto the airport standby list for J/F/W (AFTER GUCs / RUCs / medallion comp upgrades but BEFORE regular NRSA). The concurrent wisdom would be to use them on long-haul flights for maximum time in DeltaOne (cough SYD / JNB cough) should you be lucky enough to get the upgrade. But this means that the same flights that are popular with DMs burning their GUCs are popular for the pass redemption. Additionally, unless you have access to DeltaMatic, there isn't a readily available way to locate these passes on individual flights, so you can't tell where the upgraders are until they check in at the gate. I surmise CPT will be a hot ticket this year, but since the retirees all have these passes too, and the upgrades are doled out by seniority, I don't want to get halfway around the planet, and then discover at the gate that someone who was hired in the Eisenhower administration is also on the flight and going to get the last J seat, forcing me into Y for 16 hours. no, no, NO. There's a reason I have status with 2 airlines and haven't flown INTL Y in a decade, and its because I buy WFBF tickets.

5-ish years ago I burned my passes to KEF. Rationale: its only 1 flight a day (this is before we started MSP-KEF), its a mandatory connection for me each way, so I got 4 legs confirmed total, ATL-JFK for nonrevs is always a disaster, and the KEF flight is only 5 hours enroute so I didn't care if I got stuck in Y.

Last year, I tried to burn another one of these passes ATL-YVR // HNL-ATL for a 10-night cruise we had booked. Unfortunately the only routing I could get was ATL-MCI-SLC-YVR, or ATL-OKC-SLC-YVR ... a 3-hopper. At that point, the "value" of being confirmed for free with this pass was diminished by having to take 3 flights to get across the country, and having to take more time off work to start that journey earlier in the day. Ended up buying confirmed for $160 ATL-SEA-YVR which checked all of the boxes, then bought a separate one-way home on HNL-ATL nonstop for $450 or so. We both weren't getting upgraded on any of these, even with status, let alone with the passes, and at the total cost of the airfare, I probably would have burned the passes if we could have gotten nonstops both ways. So DL actually made money here, from someone who had totally free options at their disposal.

My sibling, PurdueFlyer-the-younger, is a DL Flight attendant who told me this week that she now has -8- of these passes saved up and has never used any of them. Most of her limited travel (when not working) is domestic, and last minute. Between booking the jumpseat on DL, and using other domestic carriers to "flowback" for free, there just isn't the need. She's gonna get where she is going.

Are these valuable to the employees? yes. Is there a cost to DL? Yes, but its largely mitigated by capacity controls & the fact that some people just aren't going to use them. I'm happy to have them, but they aren't exactly burning a hole in my pocket.

Hope everyone had a happy and COVID-free holiday!
Old Nov 27, 2020, 9:59 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
mersk862 Wow. Hope wherever you are now, you are happy. Definitely surprised you are no longer with Delta.
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by BamaGirl
mersk862 Wow. Hope wherever you are now, you are happy. Definitely surprised you are no longer with Delta.
Curveballs happen in life sometimes. I definitely had a great 2019 traveling around the world, and glad I got to do it before the world shut down with COVID.

That, and there's been some developments over the past month that will hopefully clear up in the next week or two that will get me right back into "the game". Fingers crossed.
BamaGirl and Intl359Widget like this.

Last edited by mersk862; Nov 28, 2020 at 6:27 pm
Old Nov 29, 2020, 3:39 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by mersk862
Curveballs happen in life sometimes. I definitely had a great 2019 traveling around the world, and glad I got to do it before the world shut down with COVID.

That, and there's been some developments over the past month that will hopefully clear up in the next week or two that will get me right back into "the game". Fingers crossed.
We're all rooting for ya Mersk!
flyerCO, mersk862 and BamaGirl like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.