FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Any updates on 2021 Medallion status requirements? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2029091-any-updates-2021-medallion-status-requirements.html)

metalblaze Nov 12, 2020 7:11 am

UA status earning in 2022 - DL response?

Looks like UA came out ahead again: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...rn-2022-a.html

DL's response..?

fly747first Nov 12, 2020 7:45 am

Originally Posted by metalblaze (Post 32814635)
Looks like UA came out ahead again: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...rn-2022-a.html

DL's response..?

UA isn't even being that generous and they are just copying AA which previously announced rolling over Q4 EQM/EQDs. My guess is that DL will wait a bit to decide what they want to do.

DLASflyer Nov 12, 2020 7:45 am

Nuts that Delta's last changes to Medallion qualification came on April 5th. Meanwhile the entire business of air travel has changed.

Zorak Nov 12, 2020 9:57 am

The other notable thing about that thread compared to DL is active participation by an official UA account, even if it is heavily marketing spin oriented.

unitedbusiness Nov 12, 2020 11:13 am

Crazy to think that United is making moves towards holding the leadership position and calling the shots now, when it used to just simply copy Delta on a host of things in the industry.

MCO Flyer Nov 12, 2020 11:47 am

Originally Posted by DLASflyer (Post 32814724)
Nuts that Delta's last changes to Medallion qualification came on April 5th. Meanwhile the entire business of air travel has changed.

DL was the first airline in the US to announce a status extension into 2021 and now they are one of the last to announce what they are going to do for 2022.

rylan Nov 12, 2020 12:19 pm

Makes sense to me that an announcement for 2022 is not yet necessary, since the earning cycle hasn't even started. I'll be watching for updated come Jan/Feb since with current conditions continuing through the winter, it means that Q1 and likely Q2 are shot in terms of business travel and the vast majority of international traffic. I'll be expecting a significant adjustment for qualification, just not this early.

Zorak Nov 12, 2020 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by rylan (Post 32815543)
Makes sense to me that an announcement for 2022 is not yet necessary, since the earning cycle hasn't even started.

It hasn't started, but some people may want to start planning for it.

MCO Flyer Nov 12, 2020 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak (Post 32815608)
It hasn't started, but some people may want to start planning for it.

Usually when DL makes changes to status qualification (normally increases during non-COVID times) they typically announce it in Q4 before the next year. I'd assume we will hear something soon in regards to 2022 status thresholds.

fly747first Nov 12, 2020 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by unitedbusiness (Post 32815338)
Crazy to think that United is making moves towards holding the leadership position and calling the shots now, when it used to just simply copy Delta on a host of things in the industry.

How exactly, with a super weird system that was most likely developed by Embry-Fickle liabilities and doesn't even take into account booking class?

At least AA and DL seem to be more rational.

FlyingBeanCounter Nov 15, 2020 5:41 pm

DL better hurry. I am already planning Q1 travel. If I can do it correctly I can snag 1k again in Q1. The three trips doubled is interesting. Now I just hope some more destinations open up.

While UA is generally not as pleasant there are some perks of 1k that DL simply doesn't do. I like the snack in C+. I also really dig being able to upgrade my family to C+. DL is not exactly family friendly.

Zorak Nov 15, 2020 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter (Post 32822097)
DL better hurry. I am already planning Q1 travel. If I can do it correctly I can snag 1k again in Q1. The three trips doubled is interesting. Now I just hope some more destinations open up.

You probably saw, but just in case, it's not literally double on the first three trips, there's a cap of 1500 additional PQP per trip.

drminn Nov 16, 2020 8:53 am

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer (Post 32815433)
DL was the first airline in the US to announce a status extension into 2021 and now they are one of the last to announce what they are going to do for 2022.

I personally am impressed with DL's handling of this. This to me is an indication of a well run business based on longer term thinking. They are not reacting on a weekly or monthly basis, depending on which way the wind blows in a particular week. It turns out their initial analysis of the situation and subsequent handling of the medallion program was spot on, even though at the time it seemed very generous. I expect they will come up with a similar well thought out plan for 2022.

mkorpal3333 Nov 16, 2020 11:22 am

DL has already been quite generous with rolling over 2020 MQM. Not sure what else they really need to do.

The Situation Nov 16, 2020 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by drminn (Post 32823228)
I personally am impressed with DL's handling of this. This to me is an indication of a well run business based on longer term thinking. They are not reacting on a weekly or monthly basis, depending on which way the wind blows in a particular week. It turns out their initial analysis of the situation and subsequent handling of the medallion program was spot on, even though at the time it seemed very generous. I expect they will come up with a similar well thought out plan for 2022.

The pandemic necessitated many changes in shopping habits and in most cases, I found the early bird got the worm because it provided certainty during a time of great uncertainty. I now shop at a lot of stores that I never would have considered before. Given how much uncertainty there is in the world right now, DL should realize that their customers will respond the best to certainty and assurance especially given the positive reaction they received to being the leader in extending status.

2021 is going to be a mess for anyone trying to predict demand and so it will be impossible to match the program to what demand will be. By delaying the announcement, I do not see this as long term thinking, but short term thinking trying to squeeze every penny out of 2021. Long term thinking would be to get out early and 1) match AA's announcement 2) give current medallion members a slightly lower bar to prevent them from fleeing to carriers that provide better amenities 3) give clarity as to when amenities will improve, if ever. That would provide me the certainty I need to stick with the brand. Without certainty, I will probably test out AA and AS.