Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Any updates on 2021 Medallion status requirements?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2020, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by mkorpal3333
DL has already been quite generous with rolling over 2020 MQM. Not sure what else they really need to do.
They probably need to let MQDs rollover or lower the MQD thresholds for next year. It’s going to be hard to spend $15K for DM next year with INTL travel likely remaining shut down for Q1 and likely Q2 2021.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by The Situation

... delaying the announcement, I do not see this as long term thinking, but short term thinking trying to squeeze every penny out of 2021. Long term thinking would be to get out early and 1) match AA's announcement 2) give current medallion members a slightly lower bar to prevent them from fleeing to carriers that provide better amenities 3) give clarity as to when amenities will improve, if ever. That would provide me the certainty I need to stick with the brand. Without certainty, I will probably test out AA and AS.
They may not have to match AA's announcement, their data may indicate that there are very few Situations (pun intended) where people will leave for AA. As you say, nobody knows with any certitude what 2021 will look like, but I am convinced that DL has more data to base their decisions on than our collective insights/opinions here on FT.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
They probably need to let MQDs rollover or lower the MQD thresholds for next year. It’s going to be hard to spend $15K for DM next year with INTL travel likely remaining shut down for Q1 and likely Q2 2021.

This. I am rolling over 150k in MQM's. I don't care so much about that, but the MQD's are an issue. I am finishing my MQD qualification at christmas with a trip to CUN. As I understand it the choice benefits won't happen for diamonds next year unless they actually spend the 15k this year. That is actually really nice - lounges will be marginally less crowded and in theory I will have GUC's when most other diamonds wont.

I have been EXPLAT on AA and 1k on UA. Wouldn't hurt to hit one or both again next year. UA has some value as I am in a hub city for them (DEN).

even with the changes in air travel I found that status isn't really worth it. All of this hand wringing here and worry could be solved with one simple response - WFBF. I started doing that along with paying for suites this year and it really is very pleasant. Sure, I lose the priority phone line but I have not missed one other item of the status treadmill as a result. No worry and no risk of losing anything to someone like me who sneaks in and buys the upgrade out from under me at the gate.

That is the biggest risk here for all the airlines - that more people figure out the status racket isn't worth it and start actually buying tickets that make sense based on travel plans.
Christefan likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 5:10 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
This. I am rolling over 150k in MQM's. I don't care so much about that, but the MQD's are an issue. I am finishing my MQD qualification at christmas with a trip to CUN. As I understand it the choice benefits won't happen for diamonds next year unless they actually spend the 15k this year. That is actually really nice - lounges will be marginally less crowded and in theory I will have GUC's when most other diamonds wont.
Your understanding is incorrect (or at least based on my understanding of your understanding )

If you earn 125k+ MQMs and 15K MQDs (or AMEX/foreign MQD waiver) in 2020 (thus qualifying for DM for 2021) you will immediately be able to choose your 2021 DM Choice Benefits.

If you are DM in 2020 and fail to qualify as above, and remain DM in 2021 only because of the status extension, you will still get to choose 2021 DM Choice Benefits, just not until Feb 1, 2021.
Eddie98 likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Try meet reaching 15k on domestic runs!!!
Old Nov 17, 2020, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
Your understanding is incorrect (or at least based on my understanding of your understanding )

If you earn 125k+ MQMs and 15K MQDs (or AMEX/foreign MQD waiver) in 2020 (thus qualifying for DM for 2021) you will immediately be able to choose your 2021 DM Choice Benefits.

If you are DM in 2020 and fail to qualify as above, and remain DM in 2021 only because of the status extension, you will still get to choose 2021 DM Choice Benefits, just not until Feb 1, 2021.

according to the DL staff the choice awards are only given to those who actually qualify. Has anyone confirmed one way or the other? Be great to know - if it doesn't matter I will cancel my CUN ticket and rebook with someone cheaper.

EDIT: You are correct. I just cancelled my ticket and picked up another cheaper one.

Last edited by FlyingBeanCounter; Nov 17, 2020 at 9:12 am
Old Nov 17, 2020, 8:54 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
according to the DL staff the choice awards are only given to those who actually qualify. Has anyone confirmed one way or the other? Be great to know - if it doesn't matter I will cancel my CUN ticket and rebook with someone cheaper.
https://www.delta.com/us/en/travel-u...miles-benefits

The way I'm reading this, the extended status for 2021 allows you to pick 2021 Choice Benefits starting Feb 1. Of course if you aren't planning to fly much in 2021 you could wait until Jan 2022 to select RUC/GUCs.

• A full-year extension has been added to your current Medallion Status through January 31, 2022. Diamond and Platinum Medallion Members will be able to select Choice Benefits beginning February 1, 2021 as part of the extension.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 11:34 am

Programs: DM/3MM
MQDs will be my issue as well. I’ve been a top tier medallion for decades, but it would be very difficult for me to hit MQD requirements without being able to purchase international business class tickets. Even if the MQD requirement was halved, if intl travel was not wide open in advance of July 1 ( wide open meaning not just open borders, but many other countries being safe enough to travel to), I’d be hard pressed to hit half a MQD requirement.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 3:40 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, AS MVPG 100K

United and AA have announced adjusted 2021 elite qualification levels, and I'm wondering why DL hasn't said anything yet as of now. I guess it's not a question of if, but by how much, they are reducing the requirements - otherwise they will be uncompetitive (unless of course they believe that all their health related moves will keep elites loyal to them). And they should be careful.

Bigger picture for me: not being really able to fly for almost a year has made me realize the frivolity of chasing status, airline extensions notwithstanding. I mean - why was I so addicted to status? With the thousands one usually spends on flying, one could spend that same amount of money on home improvements, savings, investments, and these aren't transient things that disappear after the flight.

I wonder how similar my reflections are with yours. If these airlines cannot deliver value by allowing us to reasonably earn and use elite benefits, we can much more easily spend our money elsewhere.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 5:36 am
Original Member

The rollover MQMs effectively becomes 50% off the regular MQMs required. I wonder if they will have some kind of MQD bonus. At the other end of the spectrum, I am sure some people have qualified this year under the regular rules - they certainly would have to offer them something additional if there are more extensions etc
beachmouse and dmarge18 like this.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by ithacxa
United and AA have announced adjusted 2021 elite qualification levels, and I'm wondering why DL hasn't said anything yet as of now. I guess it's not a question of if, but by how much, they are reducing the requirements - otherwise they will be uncompetitive (unless of course they believe that all their health related moves will keep elites loyal to them). And they should be careful.

Bigger picture for me: not being really able to fly for almost a year has made me realize the frivolity of chasing status, airline extensions notwithstanding. I mean - why was I so addicted to status? With the thousands one usually spends on flying, one could spend that same amount of money on home improvements, savings, investments, and these aren't transient things that disappear after the flight.

I wonder how similar my reflections are with yours. If these airlines cannot deliver value by allowing us to reasonably earn and use elite benefits, we can much more easily spend our money elsewhere.
2020 status ends Jan 31/2022 instead of Jan 31/2021. You now have 2 years of MQMs from Jan 1/20 to Dec 31/21 to make 2022 status. MQS and MQDs don’t rollover.
CO-PLAT likes this.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Nov 24, 2020 at 7:28 am
Old Nov 24, 2020, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
2020 status ends Jan 31/2022 instead of Jan 31/2021. You now have 2 years to make 2022 status from Jan 1/20 to Dec 31/21.
I think you're confused. 2022 status is earned 1/21 through 12/21. What you earn this year for MQM will rollover. but not MQD.
GagaPilot likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 7:04 am

Programs: Delta DM for now
Rolling over all MQM with the status extensions was already incredibly generous, but it made sense because DL already had an established rollover program. I could only see them lowering the MQD requirements because fares have gone down for the most part. I've been back flying fairly regularly since the the beginning of June and flights that I would often pay $500-$700 in the past for are now well under $400.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 10:44 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Between 2019 rollover and credit card spend this year I’m going to start 2021 with close to 40k MQMs despite not setting foot on a plane in 2020. I suspect this kind of rollover is pretty common and I can rather understand Delta not wanting too many relatively low value customers like me having too good of odds for hitting Platinum for 2022
Old Nov 24, 2020, 11:05 am
Suspended

Personally, I think the predictions of air traffic not recovering until 2024 or 2025 which we heard a few months ago are no good any longer given the much-better than anticipated developments on the vaccine front. Sure, there's still a good chance businesses have learnt that certain meetings do not need to be in person. But still, there's a clear path now to maybe not a 100% recovery but a very strong recovery.

DL knows that. DL has been one of the more generous programmes. I think the rules in place now will largely remain intact and will largely suffice in their minds. Maybe a little promo for double MQD and/or double MQM late in 2021. (I'm relatively new to DL; IDK if they have done such promos in the past.) But yeah, wait until 2021:Q3 or Q4 and then DL will have to start thinking more about managing the number of medallion members.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.