Delta SkyClub Access for children

Old Nov 16, 20, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Delta SkyClub Access for children

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I understand that there has to be a "Mendoza Line" drawn in the sand somewhere. I am not generally an "entitled person" however this was the first time that we were caught off guard with visiting the DTW SkyClub with my 2 1/2 year old son. My wife and I both carry a stack of premium Amex cards in our wallets. Our collection consists of (amongst others)myself having a personal Platinum Charge with her as a AU, Each of us having Delta Platinum co-brand credit cards, and I have a Corporate Platinum Charge. Recently when we visited the SkyClub for personal travel a couple weeks ago I was shocked when we presented our charge cards for entry into the lounge, the agent informed us that it was going to be $39 for my sleeping son in a stroller to visit. Not a rant per se, just sees odd to have the complimentary access for children at such a low age.

Any other thoughts?
Old Nov 16, 20, 3:53 pm

You can only use one form of credentials for lounge access (they don't stack). Children under 2 years old are free. I suspect most 2.5 year-olds could pass as under 2, so you might want to try that on next visit. These rules can be found on the following pages --

https://www.delta.com/us/en/delta-sky-club/house-rules
https://www.delta.com/us/en/delta-sky-club/access
Old Nov 16, 20, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
You can only use one form of credentials for lounge access (they don't stack). Children under 2 years old are free. I suspect most 2.5 year-olds could pass as under 2, so you might want to try that on next visit. These rules can be found on the following pages --

https://www.delta.com/us/en/delta-sky-club/house-rules
https://www.delta.com/us/en/delta-sky-club/access
Assuming the child was a paid passenger with a ticket, it would be very easy for Delta to determine their age.
MSPeconomist and Often1 like this.
Old Nov 16, 20, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

That is correct, we were all on one reservation; and I wasn't trying to skirt the system. Just seems like a hefty price to pay for a guest that the only resource he would consume is the oxygen.
Old Nov 16, 20, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by MickeyMouseFamily View Post
Just seems like a hefty price to pay for a guest that the only resource he would consume is the oxygen.
At least you have the option to pay for access. In many lounges, which payment is not an option, you will be turned away.
Old Nov 16, 20, 5:28 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk Mickeymousefamily
El Boocho likes this.
Old Nov 16, 20, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I tend to agree with the OP and think that's kind of a rip-off for what is essentially an infant. I feel like the cutoff should be more like 12 or something.
Old Nov 16, 20, 6:30 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MickeyMouseFamily View Post
That is correct, we were all on one reservation; and I wasn't trying to skirt the system. Just seems like a hefty price to pay for a guest that the only resource he would consume is the oxygen.
I have a 4 year old and have brought her into a SkyClub four or five times. I have a couple guest passes and I always offer one but they never accepted it. This was at ATL, PHX, DCA, and MSP clubs. I'm surprised they'd want payment at 2.5. Where did this happen to you?
Old Nov 16, 20, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey View Post
I have a 4 year old and have brought her into a SkyClub four or five times. I have a couple guest passes and I always offer one but they never accepted it. This was at ATL, PHX, DCA, and MSP clubs. I'm surprised they'd want payment at 2.5. Where did this happen to you?
The first post says "visiting the DTW SkyClub" I could easily believe this is something that is agent-dependent with some letting it slide.
Old Nov 16, 20, 7:29 pm

I would pay it and then write in requesting a refund. That agent should be ashamed of themselves!
Old Nov 16, 20, 7:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle View Post
I would pay it and then write in requesting a refund. That agent should be ashamed of themselves!
Why? The agent is following the published rules. A cutoff at age 2 is consistent with lap child and mask policies.
Old Nov 16, 20, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Why? The agent is following the published rules. A cutoff at age 2 is consistent with lap child and mask policies.
Itís a stupid rule. Itís not like they were trying to sneak a kid into Disneyland.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Nov 16, 20, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Agree itís not really the agentís fault for following the published rule, but the principle the OP brings up makes sense to me. A 2.5 year old brings exactly zero incremental added cost to the SC. Itís going to stay in itís stroller, it wonít be drinking at the bar or raiding the buffet, etc.

Granted I donít have kids and to be honest Iím not a big fan in most cases, but I sympathize with the OPís logic here. As long as they arenít creating a disturbance, I see no reason why children in strollers should count as a guest the same way a 32 year old colleague would.
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Nov 16, 20, 10:07 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
I tend to agree with the OP and think that's kind of a rip-off for what is essentially an infant. I feel like the cutoff should be more like 12 or something.
My vote is 5; by the time a child is in grade school they are consuming regular food and drink and taking up a seat. Heck, based on how lounges can get so crowded, maybe the seat consideration would be more a factor than the consumables, so 3 or 4 in a stroller could be the 'freebie' limit.

There's always taking turns outside in the concourse while each of you grabs a bite to eat or a drink next time, too. My wife isn't an AU so I have gone in to the SC without her a few times, just for a coffee "to go", and couple cookies, then returned to the concourse.
Old Nov 16, 20, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by obscure2k View Post
Welcome to Flyertalk Mickeymousefamily
+1

Search this Thread
Search Engine: