Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta SkyClub Access for children

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2020, 4:05 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Surely it's not about how much the infant will consume, but how much noise it will make. Children have not learned to moderate their voices in hushed environments (and yes, I know some adults haven't either!).
Old Nov 17, 2020, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by 1P
Surely it's not about how much the infant will consume, but how much noise it will make. Children have not learned to moderate their voices in hushed environments (and yes, I know some adults haven't either!).
How is the child’s noise level any different if they paid $0 or $39 for admission????
Old Nov 17, 2020, 4:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
These are published rules. Even a stroller takes up space.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 5:08 am

Rules exist in case the agents needs to turn away a rowdy family. To deny a sleeping 2 year old shows zero flexibility. A robot could have done that. That was wrong IMO.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 6:00 am

Programs: DL DM
Rules are rules. If they let a 2 1/2 year old in, then the next person will say "what about my sleeping 3 year old". At least following the rules set up in advance, you have guideline to follow that (should be) consistent.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by MickeyMouseFamily
I was shocked when we presented our charge cards for entry into the lounge, the agent informed us that it was going to be $39 for my sleeping son in a stroller to visit. Not a rant per se, just sees odd to have the complimentary access for children at such a low age.
Any other thoughts?
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why? The agent is following the published rules. A cutoff at age 2 is consistent with lap child and mask policies.
I think that MSPeconomist has summed it up. Rules and consistency. While I agree with the OP, I think that a 2 1/2 year old in a stroller shouldn't merit a cover charge I can understand the why behind it.

Originally Posted by garykung
At least you have the option to pay for access. In many lounges, which payment is not an option, you will be turned away.
After a nightmare 9 hour delay at BNA last December this is what tipped me over the edge into getting a skymiles Amex. I have the option to pay for access during those times when I "need" it (no priority pass or lounge buddy options at BNA). And I have the option to pay that same $39 charge for every member of my family traveling with me...but at least I have the option.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
These are published rules. Even a stroller takes up space.
Space, yes. Space that's actually going to be occupied by a club member, unlikely.
zeebanker likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 8:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cmd320
Space, yes. Space that's actually going to be occupied by a club member, unlikely.
Possibly, but how else do you draw the line? As was pointed out above, you then get people trying to sneak their 2.5, 2.75 year olds in. Then it becomes some long debate about whether the child is quiet or not, then you get people arguing that 'never in the 800 flights I've taken this year have I been refused access,' and so on. I understand that in this case it may have been a bit harsh, there are rules for a reason.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Possibly, but how else do you draw the line? As was pointed out above, you then get people trying to sneak their 2.5, 2.75 year olds in. Then it becomes some long debate about whether the child is quiet or not, then you get people arguing that 'never in the 800 flights I've taken this year have I been refused access,' and so on. I understand that in this case it may have been a bit harsh, there are rules for a reason.
I'd maybe draw the line at the child remaining in the stroller throughout the visit? If they're going to occupy an actual seat in the lounge they become a lounge patron, but if they're going to only occupy a stroller then they basically amount to a piece of rolling luggage as far as lounge capacity is concerned.

The child being quiet or not is another story, and like mentioned above, even if the parents pay the fee to bring the child in, that doesn't really guarantee they're going to be quiet the entire time.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 9:45 am

Wink

I'd maybe draw the line at the child remaining in the stroller throughout the visit? If they're going to occupy an actual seat in the lounge they become a lounge patron, but if they're going to only occupy a stroller then they basically amount to a piece of rolling luggage as far as lounge capacity is concerned.
I think it might be a bit much to have to monitor to see if the child left their stroller. I'd rather they monitor people to make sure they was their hands when they leave the restroom.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 1:45 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
The child being quiet or not is another story, and like mentioned above, even if the parents pay the fee to bring the child in, that doesn't really guarantee they're going to be quiet the entire time.
The point about charging a fee is that this would tend to discourage parents from even trying to bring their small children in.
Hepsaint and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 3:43 pm

It's a tough call, and definitely a YMMV scenario. I can understand logic on both sides... a sleeping child doesn't really warrant a $39 fee, but then again it is a policy and the child's age could be verified.

My guess is that the agent was trying to enforce the rules as job security is paramount right now. AND not to mention DL needs every bit of cash they can get.

But, then again, the logic for a sleeping child could then be applied to those with pet carriers. I have taken my pet into SkyClubs twice (ATL and SEA) and while she is always well behaved, remains in the carrier the entire time, etc, we always find a quiet place out of the way of others. Would I pay extra to bring the pet in? Nope. I find the $125 fee at check-in to be hefty enough.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 7:50 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Having traveled extensively with my son (now 5), it very much depends on the agent who checks you in. Never had a problem under 2 (when they are complimentary); usually got comped from 2-3; since 3 it has been 50/50 at best whether we were asked for payment. Fortunately, we have a bunch of guest passes.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 8:36 am

Programs: Delta PM, SPG, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Ambassador, CLEAR/Global Entry
Most airports nowadays strictly abide by local health department orders concerning capacities within airline lounges. No one here needs a reminder of what a "special" time that the current unhappiness is creating. You can go back and forth about common sense and by-the-book rule interpretations, but as it is, a 2 year old in a stroller is a person and a physical body and would be counted if a health or fire department inspector would come into the lounge.

I have yet to be turned away this year due to a capacity limit, but i wonder if the threat of being hit with a capacity violation might make the rule tightening by the lounge agents more of an issue.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Hepsaint
Most airports nowadays strictly abide by local health department orders concerning capacities within airline lounges. No one here needs a reminder of what a "special" time that the current unhappiness is creating. You can go back and forth about common sense and by-the-book rule interpretations, but as it is, a 2 year old in a stroller is a person and a physical body and would be counted if a health or fire department inspector would come into the lounge.

I have yet to be turned away this year due to a capacity limit, but i wonder if the threat of being hit with a capacity violation might make the rule tightening by the lounge agents more of an issue.
In my experience since March I have had a better chance of being mugged as the lone patron in a SC than a possible capacity violation. Just sayin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.