Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is Delta Recalling Fleet From Victorville Into Service?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Delta Recalling Fleet From Victorville Into Service?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2020, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by xliioper
"Control measures" frequently involve stay-in-place orders (mask compliance is already quite high -- a universal requirement is not going to change much) which also significantly depresses travel demand.
Are you talking about mask compliance being quite high on a plane or in general? If you are talking about in general, I can lead you to my local Kroger store and show you under 50% mask usage
Old Nov 16, 2020, 9:53 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by DTWflyer
DL had 91 717s at its peak. The majority were leased through a three-way transaction between Southwest (who inherited them from AirTran) and with Boeing Capital. About a dozen frames were owned.

The COVID downturn changed the fate of the 717s. DL simply needs far fewer aircraft in the near to medium term with drastically reduced demand. The 717s are relatively high cost with their smaller seat count. Plus the majority are leased with leases maturing over the next few years.

They are candidates to remove for this reason, due to relatively high cost, low seat count, and lack of commonality with other types.

DL has said they will fly 30-45 frames for the next two years and full retirement by 2025.
Thanks for the explanation!
Old Nov 16, 2020, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
Delta has slowly but surely been bringing back some of the parked fleets. Namely the 739/321/757.

won't happen. Just like Delta ran into the MD90, parts and services will end up so costly that Hawaiian will have to do something other than the 717. Either lower utilization on a different aircraft type, or working with engine OEMs to find a solution to the cool down time issues on the higher bypass motors. Delta and Rolls are the only two BR715 engine overhaul providers left and Delta will certainly be out of the business when they finish parking the 717. They need all the space they can get for the GTF as it is.
Does Hawaiian have significantly faster turnaround times than WN, which is known for this and has used the strategy well to reduce costs? The WN business strategy has worked well with a 737 fleet. Of course these aircraft have larger capacity and might be too large for some of the intraHA routes without reducing frequency to inconvenient levels.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does Hawaiian have significantly faster turnaround times than WN, which is known for this and has used the strategy well to reduce costs? The WN business strategy has worked well with a 737 fleet. Of course these aircraft have larger capacity and might be too large for some of the intraHA routes without reducing frequency to inconvenient levels.
I think it comes down to more the actual flight time than turnaround time. My understanding is that with 20-30 minute flight times all day long on inter-island routes, the aircraft never reached sufficient altitude for long enough to allow the engines to cool down. With that said, I know this was a 737NG issue. I'm not sure how that relates to other aircraft such as the E-Jets, A220, etc. that use different engines.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.