Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta, ALPA Reach Agreement to Avoid Pilot Furloughs

Old Oct 29, 20, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM

Delta Air Lines and its pilot union have reached an agreement to avoid furloughs until at least 2022. If ratified, not a single Delta employee will be furloughed this year or next. American and United have already furloughed a combined 32,000 employees.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/29/delt...ntil-2022.html

Last edited by DLASflyer; Oct 29, 20 at 7:47 pm
Old Oct 30, 20, 2:13 pm

Programs: Delta PM, SPG, Hertz Presidents Circle, CLEAR/Global Entry
This will be a common trend among some of the other large essential worker unions throughout the country. They maybe short term agreements, but both sides are aware that its not the time for big or even modest increases or benefit demands. Survival past 2022 im sure is on their minds...
Old Nov 1, 20, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Hepsaint View Post
This will be a common trend among some of the other large essential worker unions throughout the country. They maybe short term agreements, but both sides are aware that its not the time for big or even modest increases or benefit demands. Survival past 2022 im sure is on their minds...
Surely you joke. Unions not making big demands even if the company is at stake? This is funny.
Old Nov 1, 20, 8:17 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Surely you joke. Unions not making big demands even if the company is at stake? This is funny.
Not quite sure what’s funny?

In my airplane and base we’ve taken nearly a 50% paycut since January with the AIP negotiated by ALPA trying to keep the airline solvent.

I get the anti-union narrative and believe me I am not a huge ALPA fan myself. However, throwing some definitive facts into the conversation here seems somewhat applicable.
Old Nov 1, 20, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by clubord View Post
Not quite sure what’s funny?

In my airplane and base we’ve taken nearly a 50% paycut since January with the AIP negotiated by ALPA trying to keep the airline solvent.

I get the anti-union narrative and believe me I am not a huge ALPA fan myself. However, throwing some definitive facts into the conversation here seems somewhat applicable.
There's a long history of unions making demands regardless of reality. Im not just picking on airline unions. This also isnt a recent phenomenon.

I forget which exact airline, but one pilot union was quoted as saying they didn't feel they needed to help out. Why? It was because they helped out 10 years ago during last financial crisis. (All other unions also did, and all had since been made whole, and all were willing to do it here)

I remember when a national grocery chain shut down all stores in my area. The union was making demands for ridiculous wages (ridiculous even if company had been in great financial shape).

DL luckily enjoys better relations than most airlines. However a lot of aviation unions don't seem to get the business must be open for them to get paid.
MSPeconomist and jamesteroh like this.
Old Nov 1, 20, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Seems to be in name only. I've known a couple of people hired by DL Jan/Feb and have not completed training. So yes, they are essentially furloughed.
Old Nov 1, 20, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare View Post
Seems to be in name only. I've known a couple of people hired by DL Jan/Feb and have not completed training. So yes, they are essentially furloughed.
My understanding is a bunch of people who started training but never finished are getting paid not to fly this entire time. Those who never started training were never formally hired. They will be first back in once hiring restarts.
Old Nov 3, 20, 5:34 pm

Programs: Many
Delta, pilots union reach deal to avoid furloughs until 2022

In a memo to employees Delta Senior Vice President John Laughter said that the agreement allows the carrier to generate "much needed savings through a path to help avoid furloughs.
The Air Line Pilots Association negotiating committee told members the agreement would provide furlough protection "for every Delta pilot on the seniority list until January 1, 2022."
https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/...furloughs-2022
No_Name likes this.
Old Nov 3, 20, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Search this Thread
Search Engine: