Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

KLM denied check-in - a Delta ticket issue. Compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KLM denied check-in - a Delta ticket issue. Compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2020, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyingFreeYupie
Just heard from KLM on this and while they are still "investigating", they claim this was a code share error coming from the marketing carrier, i.e. Delta...
Push KLM for full details. The only thing I can think of is that DL failed to correctly associate it's codeshare number with the KLM flight number. This gets more interesting with each reply from the airlines and Expedia.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 4:44 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Their reply makes no sense. If a ticket existed, all that would've been needed was to enter it in the KLM system. KL/AF self checkin machines even let you add the ticket number if it's missing. There would be no issue missing flight as it takes seconds to enter it. This just isn't believable on the part of DL.
Based on what was described, the most like speculation is KL did a schedule change (flight number) at some point, Expedia failed to revalidate/reissue. The prior ticket wouldn’t have been valid on the new flight number.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by seawolf
Based on what was described, the most like speculation is KL did a schedule change (flight number) at some point, Expedia failed to revalidate/reissue. The prior ticket wouldn’t have been valid on the new flight number.
Yes that's already been discussed. There was a schedule change same day as ticket was bought. Nearly the whole discussion here as been about the ticket not being reissued properly.

DL is stating that the ticket was reissued correctly.

However, now all of a sudden KLM is suggesting it's an issue with DL codeshare and DL systems. This actually would make DLs reply make a bit of sense. If Expedia correctly reissued ticket it would appear to an agent with DL that all is well. However if DLs computer system didn't have the codeshare setup correctly (possibly by not being associated with the operating carrier flight in system) then that would explain 1)why OP didnt show up on flight and 2)why DL wasnt able to get OP on that flight and instead had to book OP on another flight. Basically since it wasn't setup correctly KLM didn't get told about the passenger.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

As per KLM, there was also a minor flight schedule change on the day of travel on the AMS-JFK final leg.

Delta tells me that regardless of who KLM blames, they are the ones needing to sort this out as it happened on their operated flight as well as in Europe. SkyTeam sucks, seriously.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

When an airline denies someone check-in/boarding must they provide a reason in writing in both US & EU?
Old Nov 8, 2020, 7:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No.

If this is not resolved to your satisfaction, your ultimate remedy is to sue KL in the appropriate small claims court in an EU jurisdiction. The burden would be on KL to prove that its action was reasonable. But, that is not a particularly heavy burden to meet.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

As per KLM, there was also a minor flight schedule change on the day of travel on the AMS-JFK final leg.

Delta tells me that regardless of who KLM blames, they are the ones needing to sort this out as it happened on their operated flight as well as in Europe. SkyTeam sucks, seriously.
Unless the flight number changed (which is doubtful) the DoD schedule change was normal DoD IRROPS. ie delay for ATC/plane mechanical . No need for ticket reissue unless the flight number'
changed. Even then an airline can accept a ticket for another of their flights.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz PC
SkyTeam sucks, seriously.
Your issue is limited to the DL-KL-AF JV. The policy that KL/AF handle all ground issues in Europe, except that there are randomly things they claim they "can't handle", is completely absurd. DL knows this but it is trapped in the deal they made with KL-AF.

Just don't throw all of SkyTeam under the bus. I've had some really exceptional customer service on the Asian member carriers. I even had good experience on Alitalia before FCO burned, both literally and figuratively. But I don't think as an alliance ST is any worse than OW or *A.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Push KLM for full details. The only thing I can think of is that DL failed to correctly associate it's codeshare number with the KLM flight number. This gets more interesting with each reply from the airlines and Expedia.
Wouldn't be the first time. It's not uncommon for the DL codeshare to exist for a canceled flight, or for the actual flight schedule to be changed, sometimes by a few hours, but the DLxxxx codeshare to still have the old time. (Same also for the other airline actual flight in DL systems. DL has been known to have old arrival/departure times and not to update it when the operating carrier does, thus resulting in missed flights by pax and misconnects. That's why you always have to check the authoritative operating airline itinerary and schedules, esp. in case of codeshares.)
Old Nov 9, 2020, 3:53 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by pleasantsn
Just don't throw all of SkyTeam under the bus. I've had some really exceptional customer service on the Asian member carriers. I even had good experience on Alitalia before FCO burned, both literally and figuratively. But I don't think as an alliance ST is any worse than OW or *A.
+1

*A and OW each have a slew of problems of their own, as do their individual airlines. All added up it's more or less equal.

KL and AF just are really...mediocre, at best. Then again, *A and OW European airlines are no different, all factors added up and evened out.

In short, don't expect the same customer service level in EU as elsewhere. I mean in EU if you ask for dirty plates to be cleared away, or at least some clean cutlery in a lounge, don't be surprised by the lounge attendant slamming the door of her little office/closet and continuing loud personal conversation on the phone (real experience), totally ignoring her job and responsibilities. That's just the way it is in most of EU: the customer usually comes last (and hence, the need for more robust consumer protection laws).
Old Nov 9, 2020, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Wouldn't be the first time. It's not uncommon for the DL codeshare to exist for a canceled flight, or for the actual flight schedule to be changed, sometimes by a few hours, but the DLxxxx codeshare to still have the old time. (Same also for the other airline actual flight in DL systems. DL has been known to have old arrival/departure times and not to update it when the operating carrier does, thus resulting in missed flights by pax and misconnects. That's why you always have to check the authoritative operating airline itinerary and schedules, esp. in case of codeshares.)
This. Prior to Covid I used to travel to BKK once a year, and would frequently book 6+ months in advance. Booked via DL, but codeshare flight DLXXXX operated by KE out of ICN. It was not uncommon to see the times (or aircraft type) change on the KE website, but the DL website wouldn't reflect the change until weeks later. Thankfully this was always resolved around a month or so prior to departure, but could have been an issue had it not made its way through the system.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
No.

If this is not resolved to your satisfaction, your ultimate remedy is to sue KL in the appropriate small claims court in an EU jurisdiction. The burden would be on KL to prove that its action was reasonable. But, that is not a particularly heavy burden to meet.
Suing in the EU might not be practical.

If things don't work out, the OP should sue Expedia, Delta, and KLM in the US and le the court sort out who, if anyone, is responsible.

The ticket was issued by Expedia in the US so suing here should be fine. At a minimum there is a breach of contract, and you can also make the pitch for EU261 - although I believe there is a federal case that says you can't sue in a US court for EU261 damages.

There is better than a 50/50 chance that if you sue the three of them in small claims court the case will settle before the trial.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 11:24 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BigFlyer

If things don't work out, the OP should sue Expedia, Delta, and KLM in the US and le the court sort out who, if anyone, is responsible.

The ticket was issued by Expedia in the US so suing here should be fine. At a minimum there is a breach of contract, and you can also make the pitch for EU261 - although I believe there is a federal case that says you can't sue in a US court for EU261 damages.

There is better than a 50/50 chance that if you sue the three of them in small claims court the case will settle before the trial.
As you indicated, you can’t sue for EC261/2004 in US courts.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

We're not there, yet.

KLM has yet to respond, right now it's just been excuses and updates to tell me an investigation is still on going. I doubt KLM won't uphold Delta's compensation offer. That right there would be a customer service fiasco.

Interesting how KLM denies a passenger check-in, provides no assistance whatsoever and then takes weeks to "investigate". If they had acted on it then, we wouldn't be in this situation right now.
At the outset, we regret that you were unable to travel as planned. We sincerely apologise for the unintentional delay in responding to your claim.

We hope you and your family are safe in this health crisis.

We would like to inform you that we are in a process of investigating your claim with the department concerned. Thus, there will be a little delay in responding to you. We assure you that your concerns are getting our utmost attention. We revert once we receive the result from the department concerned.

We appreciate your patience in the interim period and apologize for any disappointment this may have caused.

KLM
Old Nov 13, 2020, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Not how court works. You have to allege which party is responsible and why. You dont get to say I feel I was wronged, determine who wronged me and how they wronged me. You goto court when you and the party you're suing disagree on what you're alleging.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.