Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

KLM denied check-in - a Delta ticket issue. Compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KLM denied check-in - a Delta ticket issue. Compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2020, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyingFreeYupie
When ground staff at LIS denied me check-in, they told me to call Delta as it was their ticket... Are you saying Delta has nothing to do with a ticket issued under that stock? I mean absolutely nothing?

I think I have asked you this before, I just would like to better understand who is responsible here.
If this had been a ticket purchased from DL yes they would be have something to do. However in this case you purchased a ticket from Expedia. The fact Expedia used DL ticket stock to issue the ticket is irrelevant. Travel agencies use the airline ticketing system so that they don't need to goto the cost of installing and supporting their own ticketing systems. The TA is responsible for any ticket reissues as it is basically a "travel agency" ticket even though it issued on a ticket from the DL ticketing system.
Often1 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 7:53 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Zorak
It depends: https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#privacy

"Do not post the names or contact information of travel company and program employees unless they hold executive management status (e.g. presidents, vice-presidents, managing directors)."

(underlining is mine, to highlight the relevant part)
Thank you for posting the rules Zorak. I just deleted a post and posts quoting that post in violation of that rule.

This thread is drifting into the soon to be closed territory. Please keep this civil and within the rules, or we will be forced to close.

Ryandc99
Moderator Delta Air Lines
Old Nov 8, 2020, 12:51 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
This reminds me of one of my mega tickets issued by my work's travel agency - 14 segments on 7 carriers across 2 alliances with 3 ticket numbers, all plated on 001 (AA) because they operated the first segment on this trip.

When ground staff at LIS denied me check-in, they told me to call Delta as it was their ticket... Are you saying Delta has nothing to do with a ticket issued under that stock? I mean absolutely nothing?

I think I have asked you this before, I just would like to better understand who is responsible here.
Back on topic - the plating carrier (DL) does nothing more than holding the funds and disburse them to each respective airlines involved in the trip. The ticket issuer (in this case, Expedia) is responsible for any ticketing anomalies. If the ticket was purchased and issued by Delta and not through a travel agency, then Delta is responsible for repairing the ticket.

The typical issue with a ticket mismatch is that there is no electronic ticket associated with the PNR, causing the check-in issue. The remedy at the airport would be trying to insert the e-ticket number into the PNR, or even physically print out the "ticket" as a paper ticket to attach to the boarding pass. In this case, it appears that at some point there was a schedule change that caused flight changes, and the ticket was not properly revalidated and/or reissued to include all segments. Therefore, it's not something the KL agent can fix on the spot, and must go back to the ticket issuer for remedy. The KL agent probably assumed that OP purchased the ticket from DL directly, hence asking them to call DL, instead of the travel agency.

If this were an IRROP, then the operating carrier (KL) is responsible for delivering the passenger to the final destination.

With that said, sounds like DL is offering a customer gesture, which is a net-positive outcome.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Honestly, I do not understand anything anymore. Delta says they do not understand what happened, but that Chase Travel nor themselves are at fault.

Initially, while this was happening, Delta claimed KLM could have fixed it if they wanted to, but opted not to do it. When speaking with a Delta supervisor, she claimed she had worked at an airport and handled SkyTeam issues. She said that European carrier mentalities is awful as they do not have the passenger in mind and are not proactive like Delta would be. This starts to sound about right.

Originally Posted by PTahCha
With that said, sounds like DL is offering a customer gesture, which is a net-positive outcome.
Delta went back on the compensation offer. They sent it to Air France/KLM CS and told them to handle it as this occurred in Europe and it is their responsibility. Air France/KLM claims to be busy with a large volume of cases and add they will respond by tomorrow as the case will expire otherwise.

Chase Travel reached out to me to apologize for claiming I was late to check-in/wrong terminal and says no compensation is due as all was confirmed from their end. They were happy to see Delta's offer, but when I explained to them, Delta went back on it, they tried to reach out to Delta to advocate on my behalf to then tell me to keep working with KLM.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Honestly, I do not understand anything anymore. Delta says they do not understand what happened, but that Chase Travel nor themselves are at fault.

Initially, while this was happening, Delta claimed KLM could have fixed it if they wanted to, but opted not to do it. When speaking with a Delta supervisor, she claimed she had worked at an airport and handled SkyTeam issues. She said that European carrier mentalities is awful as they do not have the passenger in mind and are not proactive like Delta would be. This starts to sound about right.

Delta went back on the compensation offer. They sent it to Air France/KLM CS and told them to handle it as this occurred in Europe and it is their responsibility. Air France/KLM claims to be busy with a large volume of cases and add they will respond by tomorrow as the case will expire otherwise.

Chase Travel reached out to me to apologize for claiming I was late to check-in/wrong terminal and says no compensation is due as all was confirmed from their end. They were happy to see Delta's offer, but when I explained to them, Delta went back on it, they tried to reach out to Delta to advocate on my behalf to then tell me to keep working with KLM.
I agree DL isn't at fault. However unless Expedia had reissued the ticket they're at fault. Why/how DL would say they're not is baffling.

You need to ask DL what the exact issue was. If they're claiming that neither DL or Expedia are at fault they must know what the issue is. If they can't provide that then there's no way they can know they nor Expedia are at fault.

AFA European carriers, they're actually normally better. EC261 provides for not just compensation (only when within their control) but also requires accommodation/meals regardless of whose at fault. (As long as you were ticketed and confirmed correctly)
Old Nov 8, 2020, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Initially, when Delta made the compensation offer that later on they backed out of, they stated:
Your correspondence has been forwarded to me for further review and assistance. I apologize that you were unable to travel as planned from Lisbon with KLM via Amsterdam on October 29, 2020. I realize how frustrating this must have been having your travel plans changed unexpectedly and arriving much later than planned in the U.S. It's certainly not the experience we wanted you to have.

I've reviewed your reservation information in both the Delta and KLM reservation systems. Your ticket was purchased from Chase Travel on October 18, 2020. Upon review, KLM did have your ticket number in their reservation system prior to travel. I can not speak for if their airport computer system had the ticket number when you arrived. Nonetheless, it was not a Delta issue, nor an issue with your agency. As a courtesy, I will issue you EU 261/2004 Regulated compensation in the amount of $699.36 USD equivalent to 600 EUR. Could you please reply back to this email to confirm your address with me so there is no delay with our check payment to you.

I believe Cadee had spoken with you earlier about also sending you $25.00 USD for meals while delayed from Lisbon that day. I can include this with your compensation payment.

We truly appreciate your SkyMiles loyalty and support. I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.
There's Chase Travel, Delta, KLM as well as myself, the passenger in this story. I was there on time attempting to check-in. If Delta claims they are not at fault nor is the TA, then they are blaming this on KLM despite not being blunt about it.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Initially, when Delta made the compensation offer that later on they backed out of, they stated:

There's Chase Travel, Delta, KLM as well as myself, the passenger in this story. I was there on time attempting to check-in. If Delta claims they are not at fault nor is the TA, then they are blaming this on KLM despite not being blunt about it.
Their reply makes no sense. If a ticket existed, all that would've been needed was to enter it in the KLM system. KL/AF self checkin machines even let you add the ticket number if it's missing. There would be no issue missing flight as it takes seconds to enter it. This just isn't believable on the part of DL.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Each party can only speak to what each party did or did not do. DL can't speak for Chase/Expedia/ On the other hand, DL is agreeing to make it right as a customer service gesture, sp that's really the end of it. OP has done better than entitled to under the Regulation, so I would leave it alone.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
DL is agreeing to make it right as a customer service gesture, sp that's really the end of it. OP has done better than entitled to under the Regulation, so I would leave it alone.
Again, if that would have been the case, as far as I am concerned, this subject would be dead. Still, Delta backed out on this compensation offer and claims to have sent their findings/my receipts to KLM to address and resolve.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I agree DL isn't at fault. However unless Expedia had reissued the ticket they're at fault. Why/how DL would say they're not is baffling.

You need to ask DL what the exact issue was. If they're claiming that neither DL or Expedia are at fault they must know what the issue is. If they can't provide that then there's no way they can know they nor Expedia are at fault.

AFA European carriers, they're actually normally better. EC261 provides for not just compensation (only when within their control) but also requires accommodation/meals regardless of whose at fault. (As long as you were ticketed and confirmed correctly)
I'm not sure this is at all helpful, but I had a very similar experience several years ago with an Expedia-purchased ticket. I had purchased a ticket from LGA-YYZ on AA, but there was a last-minute change or cancellation (it was very last-minute, as I got the notification on my phone as I was on the bus heading to LGA). Expedia put me on a new flight with Westjet - perfect. However, it transpired that, while I did have a new record locator, there was no Westjet ticket. Westjet couldn't check me in; I had to go to the other terminal to have AA transfer over the ticket. In my case, the AA agent at the customer service desk took care of it in maybe 10-15 minutes. That would suggest that DL should have been able to fix your issue, although what do I know.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
That would suggest that DL should have been able to fix your issue
Delta ended up re-booking me, making me arrive 6 hours later as a consequence. I can only imagine KLM responding to my complaint and blaming Delta for what took place.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Delta ended up re-booking me, making me arrive 6 hours later as a consequence. I can only imagine KLM responding to my complaint and blaming Delta for what took place.
It's good that you made it there finally!

What I would do is reach out directly to DL customer service via the phone, explain the situation, and request compensation. I've had them throw $100 vouchers my way for less significant issues. If they don't agree to compensate you, or if you think their offer is insufficient, ask for an email or postal address to direct a complaint in writing. Be concise in your complaint, explain why DL was at fault, and include documentation of the original offer they made to you and then reneged on.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
I'm not sure this is at all helpful, but I had a very similar experience several years ago with an Expedia-purchased ticket. I had purchased a ticket from LGA-YYZ on AA, but there was a last-minute change or cancellation (it was very last-minute, as I got the notification on my phone as I was on the bus heading to LGA). Expedia put me on a new flight with Westjet - perfect. However, it transpired that, while I did have a new record locator, there was no Westjet ticket. Westjet couldn't check me in; I had to go to the other terminal to have AA transfer over the ticket. In my case, the AA agent at the customer service desk took care of it in maybe 10-15 minutes. That would suggest that DL should have been able to fix your issue, although what do I know.
As this was a DoD IRROPS issue AA as the airline you were to fly was responsible for rebooking/reticketing you. In your case it's AA actually rebooked you onto WS and Expedia simply let you know that there had been a change. AA hadn't reissued the ticket (AA is known for taking forever to reissue tickets when computer rebooks you) when you went to checkin with WS.

DoD IRROPS are different from schedule changes in advance. DoD IRROPS are responsibility of operating airline, in advance schedule changes are responsibility of the OTA/airline ticket is purchased from.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Just heard from KLM on this and while they are still "investigating", they claim this was a code share error coming from the marketing carrier, i.e. Delta...
Old Nov 8, 2020, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
To OP's original question, unless he can pin this on KL as the operating carrier, there is no compensation due under EC 261/2004. That has nothing to do with responsibility or back office accounting. It is simply the law as enacted by the EC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.