Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

canceled DL AMEX Plat after partner devaluation

Old Oct 28, 20, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

After looking at recent devaluation of DL partner award miles potential, both my wife and I cancelled our DL AMEX Plat cards today. Didn't think it was likely to happen, after 12+ yrs, but we both woke up and took stock of where we are in the cosmos. Especially with recent sudden announcement of award miles devaluation, loss of route flying options, and hassles with the Covid issues.

Truth be told, we're not flying much now (who is?) We used to, to the tune of 250,000 K annually, spread over DL>AA>AS and even UA and HA. We are both EXP on AA perennially, and are lifetime UA Premier exec 200k. We gave up on UA a few years ago when we were just a little short of 3mm, because we got too pi$$ed off with the service and went over, big time, to DL. Made 1mm (Silver lifetime) in less than 4 yrs and were DM for yrs in a row. Never could use a lot of the certificates we earned, so tried to give 'em to grandkids. Eventually, just booked as many cash equivalent items on the choice benefits as we could.

We found DL the best of the bunch, for airline service and reliability from where we are in the SF Bay Area. We both just hit 1K lifetime on DL. As I said, we're just not flying that much---on any carrier---anywhere, anymore. Covid just lasting too long. Not fun wearing a mask on 6 hr flights, even in F. So we were plunking down many 100's on airline credit cards that weren't worth it. We deep-mixed hotel credit cards, too. Hyatt Plat, Marriott, and Fairmont, among others. We're on the cusp of getting rid of IHG. We got rid of Chase and UA long ago. Just got rid of HA's Barclay's cards, too. BTW, Barclays is a very inept card provider. They're slow and screw up a lot. Don't know why anyone would have their Aviator card.

We are keeping the AMEX Plat (most expensive of the bunch), because it gets us into sky miles lounge if we fly and the arrangement to accumulate a lot of points on airline tx is fairly attractive. We are Lifetime Aairpass, so that helps with AA, but AA has close to abandoned us in the Bay Area. We also keep the AS Visa because we do need a VISA card for Costco and do like the AS service from where we are in the Bay Are to HI. My crusade has saved $1400 in card renewals thus far, and we're looking for more.

When we heard of the miles devaluation planned for future DL partners and checked it out, we became convinced. Bummer. I think DL and other carriers who are doing this are misguided. For now, there are a lot of empty seats in premium classes. Why not get rid of the inventory of seats remaining and book them to the souls who have miles in the till to try and use?

I always liked Ed Bastian, but this last move was a little bit over the top. Someone said, "the Airlines are all the same, just different paint on the planes"
Maybe so, we'll see. Wonder how others are feeling about the miles thing.

Bottom line to Ed: Was not the best time to start devaluing miles.

Thanks for listening. Check on what's in your wallet. Might save $$.

Thx
lindsey1, Spiff, gt5889a and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 28, 20, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
You should consider the standard AMEX Gold or Platinum... there are nice sign-up bonuses now
Old Oct 29, 20, 6:46 pm

Programs: DL Silver, (used to be somebody here) Marriott Lifetime Titanium
ditto on all this. Not really flying these days and doing the quick math says that my usual fun tix (TATL on VS) are close to beyond reach. It is almost easier (with time spent researching ) to just look ahead and pay for business class on any airline - may not be DL

I would put any miles onto my AMEX Plat and then move as necessary in the future
Old Nov 5, 20, 12:34 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Yeah, I'm about to do the same, since the certificate is a bit hard to use the way we travel and also 2021 isn't going to be much better. I noticed that the J awards from US-Asian are now 105k one way, prior was 85k. Just makes it less interested in accumulating more delta miles and be stuck with them. Plus I'm elite so the other benefits really don't help. BUH BYE!
Old Nov 5, 20, 6:43 pm
Suspended

Delta and others just slaughtered the Golden Goose.
Do they really think AMEX is going to fork over TENS OF BILLIONS of dollars for nothing? No credit card users = no forking over billions for Skymiles.
Old Nov 5, 20, 10:04 pm

I'll prob keep my Plat card, but will dump the reserve unless they give me a very good reason to keep it again. I don't think I'll put much more than my DL tickets on the card. I think keeping AMEX spend under 25k in spend is best. I have so many MQMs that I won't need more for many years. With a travel reduced year can probably keep the spend under GM by switching to another carrier when I get close to the MQDs. That will cause me to only use 25K for program year 2022. Then I'll just spend the 25K waiver in Jan 2022 and use some of those banked MQMs guaranteeing PM through 1/31/2024.
Old Nov 11, 20, 11:38 am

Programs: None - previously UA
I am going through all our cards and if they wont offer a sizable retention bonus I am cancelling. Amex offered 50K to keep the Plat card so I kept it. I've cancelled about 5 cards including a Delta Amex I've had for years. My thinking: 1. I'm not traveling and not taking advantage of the benefits, 2 The airlines and hotels chains are typically devaluing and will be likely offering larger bonuses in the future. But in reality I would likely need a 150K-200K bonus from Delta to sign up for another one of their cards. I suspect we will see this kind of bonus in the future.
Old Nov 11, 20, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL SkClub LT, AA Gold, SPG Plat/LT Gold, IHG Plat, HH Diam, AS MVP
A post like this from a HVC should get DL and AMEX's attention. No DYKWIA threats and no drama. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I enjoyed the post.
hnewman and Spiff like this.
Old Nov 11, 20, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by hockeystl View Post
A post like this from a HVC should get DL and AMEX's attention. No DYKWIA threats and no drama. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I enjoyed the post.
I didn't see poster's annual spend anywhere in order to determine whether or not they are an HVC. I suspect mentioning significant retention bonuses could potentially work against someone as DL/Amex might decide this is the type of customer they could live without.
Old Nov 11, 20, 7:13 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by Dieuwer View Post
Do they really think AMEX is going to fork over TENS OF BILLIONS of dollars for nothing? No credit card users = no forking over billions for Skymiles.
The estimate was $7 billion (per this article last year) and was before Covid hit, but I get your point. The more Delta devalues the Skymiles, the less attractive they are as a card and as a transfer partner. But honestly, even among Flyertalkers, are many people are building massive Skymiles balances intentionally using the cards, and not as a side effect from MQM bonuses or MQD waivers? Even when I had an AA card, it was just for the free bags, I never even booked flights on it, and their points have some stronger redemption values than Skyteam.
Old Nov 12, 20, 4:03 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton, Hertz
Iím with the op. Airline status doesnít seem as valuable these days. I think travel patterns will change for many. I miss life on the road. But now realize after being home so much, my travel was getting excessive. Iíve reprioritized
Spiff likes this.
Old Nov 12, 20, 8:20 am

DL published some data on award redemptions a few years back (unfortunately, I can no longer find it) and I believe that the percentage of redemptions for domestic coach was somewhere in the mid-80's. I don't recall any data published for things like PWM (and this was before the FCM mileage upgrade offers were available). I don't doubt there are HVC's that use their miles mostly or exclusively for international J (where most of the deval has taken place), but the percentage is likely quite a bit lower than many FTer's assume.
Old Nov 12, 20, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Dieuwer View Post
This is a slap in the face as far as devaluations go, no question. But Delta didn't slaughter anything here. In 2019, 97% of all SkyMiles redemptions were on Delta metal. Partner awards like these are almost negligible from their perspective, hence why they did it.
Old Nov 12, 20, 12:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Wait... you have the lifetime AAirpass (which is impossible to get) and are still paying for tickets on DL? I don't think anyone on here would do that, even though AA is a worse airline.
Adam1222 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: