Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Schedule change causing nearly 2 day layover. Told to pay fare difference to rebook

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schedule change causing nearly 2 day layover. Told to pay fare difference to rebook

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2020, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM

Either I spoke to a questionable rep or DL is really trying to get me with this one. Had two tickets LGA-ATL-LIM-GRU booked in V for around $650. There were options for LGA-ATL-GRU available for a similar price at time of booking but unfortunately they all departed in the morning and my fiancé has prior obligations tying her up until the afternoon so despite the routing, the 6:30 pm departure with the extra layover put us in Săo Paulo quicker than taking a more direct routing the next day. I received a schedule change notification today and DL had us in ATL for almost two days waiting to connect to LIM (and obviously missing the original last leg to GRU on LATAM). I called in and waited on hold several times while the rep tried to rebook me, eventually I was told that I would have to pay the fare difference of ~1200/ticket. I am PM and fiancé has no status. Over the years, I’ve never had an issue getting rebooked on a new flight that falls under the standard 60 minute rule free of charge. Additionally, my reservation now shows the flights I requested to be switched to with passenger status as confirmed which, unless I’m missing something, points to a successful rebooking? Is it safe to assume the rep was misinformed and we should be all set? Or is this something I should be worried about? I obviously don’t want to have any surprises upon arrival at LGA and wanted to ask here before calling back in and potentially messing something up that doesn’t need to be fixed.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 7:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
1. When are you traveling?

2. What does your receipt say? Has the ticket been reissued with a new ticket number for the new flights? Normally you should get a new receipt by email, but try to check by clicking on the PNR to view the receipt, (Only the most recent ticket receipt will be shown.)
Old Oct 24, 2020, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL DM
I would wait until Monday to see how things settle out. On schedule change weekends the dust doesn't usually settle until Monday. If the schedule change is Delta's doing, they should rebook you onto a reasonable itinerary for no charge.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I agree with waiting until Monday to get this fixed if it isn't fixed already by then. Of course, you shouldn't have to pay a fare difference.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 9:07 pm

Programs: DL DM
Agree with others, wait until Monday and see what naturally happens.

Specifically, I would look to see if the ticket was re-issued. If not, I would call in next week and speak to the Platinum Line. I would give no mention about being asked to pay a fare difference. Just simply inquire as to whether the previous agent successfully got you rebooked due to a Delta schedule change. And ensure that your reservation and ticket match.

I learned many years ago to never call Delta on a Saturday immediately following a schedule change. Usually things are so fluid and many times agents can't see the exact things we see. And vice versa. Best to let the dust settle from the weekend and call on Monday.

But, as others have also said, due to this being a Delta schedule change, you should not have to pay any sort of fare difference. You simply had a poor agent.
cmd320 and jjangoo like this.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
Agree with others, wait until Monday and see what naturally happens.

Specifically, I would look to see if the ticket was re-issued. If not, I would call in next week and speak to the Platinum Line. I would give no mention about being asked to pay a fare difference. Just simply inquire as to whether the previous agent successfully got you rebooked due to a Delta schedule change. And ensure that your reservation and ticket match.

I learned many years ago to never call Delta on a Saturday immediately following a schedule change. Usually things are so fluid and many times agents can't see the exact things we see. And vice versa. Best to let the dust settle from the weekend and call on Monday.

But, as others have also said, due to this being a Delta schedule change, you should not have to pay any sort of fare difference. You simply had a poor agent.
Yes, this is definitely a case of HUCA.
GagaPilot likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 10:15 am

We seem to have a weekend of inept agents. I had to HUCB because I wanted to make a change. The system kept bombing out but online change was going be $200. The idiot I got the first time one wanted $600. Call back, the new agent charged $200. When I told him about the first agent, he sighed and said I “don’t know where some of them come up at these numbers“
Old Oct 26, 2020, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
There's also been some fare issues this weekend. DL app shows X price, but when call to book their system is showing Y price (for same exact flights/fare).

As for OP, having a reservation isn't enough, you also needa ticket for the flights. While they're etickets today, the ticket is what pays for the flight on day of departure. The reservation simply is the space on the plane held for you. Call during weekday and get knowledgeable agent to help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.