Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Removal Of Personal Device Entertainment?

Removal Of Personal Device Entertainment?

Old Oct 21, 20, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by DLASflyer View Post
This cut was also recently made. No more snack bags or any catering besides emergency water on flights 250 miles or less.
Reality however doesnít appear to match that. iíve been on four different flights in the last 2 1/2 weeks that are under 250 miles and they all had the snack bag.
Old Oct 21, 20, 7:32 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles View Post
Reality however doesnít appear to match that. iíve been on four different flights in the last 2 1/2 weeks that are under 250 miles and they all had the snack bag.
I agree Delta has been hit or miss at implementing its own changes. However a FA on my short flight this week announced that the change in service standards went in to effect 10/15. Sometimes I think there are just extra bags left over from a longer previous flight.
Old Oct 21, 20, 8:47 am

IFE also comes in handy for families with kids, I think. It's easy for adult individual travelers (such as myself, to be upfront, but also I imagine a large proportion of posters on this board) to make sure they are equipped with enough personal entertainment, whether that's books, movies, podcasts, shows, whatever. But if you are a parent with kids I have to imagine it's nice not to have to carry a dedicated device for each child, especially when (for younger kids) you may not even have enough devices to begin with.
Old Oct 21, 20, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Wonder how much they save from not having the streaming movies for delta studio and only the seatback screens. I can't imagine it is that much.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 21, 20, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
By all means, they can rip out the IFE if it means the weight and balance will be corrected in a way that allows them to carry ice again.
Old Oct 21, 20, 9:49 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I personally don't care for PDE. I don't have a tablet I can use so that leaves my laptop or phone. I like to have a full battery when I land somewhere but I can't charge and use headphones. IFE is nice to have.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 21, 20, 9:51 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by gitismatt View Post
there's plenty of cases where IFE is better. like when you are are using the tray table. or when you want to look straight ahead instead of craning your neck to look down

I hardly think delta would allow a division to create a new way of delivering IFE to passengers if they had any data showing it was 'behind the times'
Yeah, I'd much rather use IFE than stream the same stuff to my own device. I like to turn on a movie on the IFE and then play a game, browse a forum, or do whatever on my device. Or just have the trip map running while I try to take a nap without having to hold anything or have the tray table down. I get that some people aren't interested in IFE but I've never understood why a small set of people seem to actively want it removed.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 21, 20, 10:09 am
Original Member

Programs: UA Gold/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
This may explain why the Delta website is only showing movies from April for Delta Studios.
Old Oct 21, 20, 10:36 am

Programs: MR LT(!)TE, DL PM MM, HTZ PC, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE, Uber Gold
Originally Posted by rylan View Post
Wonder how much they save from not having the streaming movies for delta studio and only the seatback screens. I can't imagine it is that much.
I wonder how many people actually use the streaming IFE, in particular if there is seatback AVOD available. I've toyed with it a couple of times, but usually end up using my personal device for something else (work, email, whatever) while playing content on the seatback unit. If streaming uptake is minimal, then why not cut the licensing costs even if it just saves enough to keep one person employed?
DLASflyer likes this.
Old Oct 21, 20, 11:09 am

Programs: DL DM MM - IHG Spire
Originally Posted by bennos View Post
I wonder how many people actually use the streaming IFE, in particular if there is seatback AVOD available. I've toyed with it a couple of times, but usually end up using my personal device for something else (work, email, whatever) while playing content on the seatback unit. If streaming uptake is minimal, then why not cut the licensing costs even if it just saves enough to keep one person employed?
On DL Connection flights (like the OP), streaming is the only option. For ATL-TYS, it's not a big deal to not have IFE. But ATL-YUL in a CRJ is a long flight to have no IFE. I never use the streaming on mainline flights, but on those longer Connection flights, I def want to be able to stream. And it IS a differentiator from AA/UA/WN etc.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 21, 20, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by PTahCha View Post
This may explain why the Delta website is only showing movies from April for Delta Studios.
I don't think there has been any change to safety videos, series, movies, etc. in the entertainment systems since March. Even the boarding music hasn't been updated. Delta is in major cost saving mode.
Old Oct 21, 20, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DLASflyer View Post
I don't think there has been any change to safety videos, series, movies, etc. in the entertainment systems since March. Even the boarding music hasn't been updated. Delta is in major cost saving mode.
I haven't even heard boarding music recently.
Old Oct 21, 20, 2:35 pm

Programs: 2MM DL DM, HA Premier, AA Plat,Ex UA 1K, HH Diamond, Marriott TE
Just don't touch live TV. I need to watch CNBC during Market open.
Old Oct 21, 20, 3:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Another stealth change. It never would have occurred to me to check that DL Studio is still available for flights using smaller aircraft, including CRJ-900s, etc.
Old Oct 21, 20, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Another stealth change. It never would have occurred to me to check that DL Studio is still available for flights using smaller aircraft, including CRJ-900s, etc.
Still is available, it's just a series of videos on how Delta is keeping you safe during the pandemic. That stuff must be cheap to license

Search this Thread
Search Engine: