FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   YYZ - JFK One Way, Comfort Plus or First? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2027231-yyz-jfk-one-way-comfort-plus-first.html)

SkyElite Oct 20, 2020 1:41 pm

YYZ - JFK One Way, Comfort Plus or First?

Have no status with Delta (not even membership) and never flown Delta before. So happens I need a YYZ- JFK positioning flight next year and the only option is Delta 4982.

I can purchase the comfort plus for 160 USD or first class for 190 USD. I will have just one carry on.

Is the $30 USD worth it for an 2-hour flight?

The only thing is, IF the trip doesn't happen (covid), both tickets are nonrefundable so I feel I'll just have to let the money go down the drain?

Thanks!

flyerCO Oct 20, 2020 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by SkyElite (Post 32761261)
Have no status with Delta (not even membership) and never flown Delta before. So happens I need a YYZ- JFK positioning flight next year and the only option is Delta 4982.

I can purchase the comfort plus for 160 USD or first class for 190 USD. I will have just one carry on.

The only thing is, IF the trip doesn't happen (covid), both tickets are nonrefundable so I feel I'll just have to let the money go down the drain?

Thanks!

Nonrefundable doesn't mean it can't be used as a credit for new ticket.

Absent needing checked bags Y is more than enough for this route.

Cory6188 Oct 20, 2020 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 32761266)
Nonrefundable doesn't mean it can't be used as a credit for new ticket.

Absent needing checked bags Y is more than enough for this route.

Ditto. Unless you need the bag allowance, I wouldn't bother with either C+ or F - just go with Main Cabin. It's probably 1.5 hours, tops, gate-to-gate. Not worth any cabin upgrades.

MSPeconomist Oct 20, 2020 2:34 pm

Next year DL might not be blocking seats. FC (I'm assuming it's a RJ) gives you more space and if you can get one of the single A seats, no one will be next to you.

The Situation Oct 20, 2020 2:42 pm

I would just go with regular Y as well. I have done that flight from LGA. Even before the drastic cuts in amenities, the amenities on such a short flight were very minimal, so the only reason you would want C+ of F is for the legroom. If you really need the leg room, C+ is perfect. If you have checked bags, F is worth it.

El Boocho Oct 20, 2020 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by SkyElite (Post 32761261)

I wouldn't even hesitate. For $15/hr I'd pay for the guaranteed extra space. Even more so if you can get the single seat side.

vinnmann Oct 21, 2020 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by El Boocho (Post 32761429)
I wouldn't even hesitate. For $15/hr I'd pay for the guaranteed extra space. Even more so if you can get the single seat side.

I'll second that. Sure, wheels up to touchdown is relatively short, but if you get stuck sitting on the plane while maintenance comes to adjust the muffler bearings & top off the blinker fluid, get stuck in line for takeoff, and then wait for the other delayed plane to leave your arrival gate, you could spend a lot of time in that seat. I once was uncertain about paying $50 to upgrade a MIA-MCO flight. After all of the above happened, I spent around 5 hours on the aircraft and was happy I spent the $$$.

ATOBTTR Oct 21, 2020 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by vinnmann (Post 32763842)
I'll second that. Sure, wheels up to touchdown is relatively short, but if you get stuck sitting on the plane while maintenance comes to adjust the muffler bearings & top off the blinker fluid, get stuck in line for takeoff, and then wait for the other delayed plane to leave your arrival gate, you could spend a lot of time in that seat. I once was uncertain about paying $50 to upgrade a MIA-MCO flight. After all of the above happened, I spent around 5 hours on the aircraft and was happy I spent the $$$.

Second on this. Multiple times I've been up in F when we've been delayed or just had to de-ice. Most of the time the FA's come around and provide drinks even while sitting in the de-ice queue. If on an RJ, I'd happily pay $30 for the ability to get one of the "solo" seats and be able to get up at my leisure to go use the lav while also being able to enjoy the window seat.

cmd320 Oct 21, 2020 4:05 pm

Yeah, at $30 this is probably worth it. IMO $160 is very overpriced for C+ on what is essentially a ~90 minute flight.

MSPeconomist Oct 21, 2020 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320 (Post 32764016)
Yeah, at $30 this is probably worth it. IMO $160 is very overpriced for C+ on what is essentially a ~90 minute flight.

You're obviously not a hub captive. I don't think I've ever seen a FC fare for $190 nor main cabin (not even paid C+) for $160..

cmd320 Oct 21, 2020 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 32764306)
You're obviously not a hub captive. I don't think I've ever seen a FC fare for $190 nor main cabin (not even paid C+) for $160..

Haha, no, definitely not a hub captive and thankful for that every day.

That said, $190 I agree is low for F and I can’t remember the last time I saw an F fare that low. At the same time though, I often find C+ lower than that, and the spread to F is generally considerably more (like $100 difference).

Often1 Oct 21, 2020 7:18 pm

It all depends on what $30 means to you. I would not spend it if it means that your kid can't have winter boots. But, if it is what you spend on breakfast on the way to work, I would.

To me it's definitely worth it, just for the space.

xliioper Oct 21, 2020 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 32764306)

MSP-ORD $142.10 one-way. Fare basis VA7SA0FW. 7-day AP.
MSP-MCI $152.10 one-way. Fare basis XAUSA0FE. 14-day AP.
MSP-STL $152.10 one-way. Fare basis VAUSA0FE. 14-day AP.
MSP-DFW $187.10 one-way. Fare basis VATSA0FW. 10-day AP.

Duke787 Oct 22, 2020 10:46 am

Going for F over C+ is a no-brainer here.

As mentioned above non-refundable isn't an issue here, you would just get a credit that is good through 12/2022 and since Delta is currently waiving change fees on all flights purchased through 12/31 there would be no penalty here (important to note that since this is an international flight the change fee waiver is via the COVID policy, not the new policy that removed change fees entirely -- that policy only applies to US/Puerto Rico/USVI domestic flights).

ATOBTTR Oct 22, 2020 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787 (Post 32765677)
Going for F over C+ is a no-brainer here.

As mentioned above non-refundable isn't an issue here, you would just get a credit that is good through 12/2022 and since Delta is currently waiving change fees on all flights purchased through 12/31 there would be no penalty here (important to note that since this is an international flight the change fee waiver is via the COVID policy, not the new policy that removed change fees entirely -- that policy only applies to US/Puerto Rico/USVI domestic flights).

I believe vouchers are back to only being good for one year now. Today I changed a flight (the flight I purchased was cheaper than when I purchased it a week ago), so I rebooked it and the remaining credit in my wallet was good for 1 year from the original date of purchase (through 15 October 2021). Meanwhile other vouchers in my wall that were purchased than canceled earlier this year are good through 2022.