FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   New Status Match promo from delta (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2027172-new-status-match-promo-delta.html)

simonsuo Oct 19, 2020 3:00 pm

New Status Match promo from delta

Received an email about a new status match promo directing to link https://www.delta.com/content/www/us...romotions.html

It's one of the better status match promo I have seen. Any thoughts? Although I won't be flying much, only a few round trip sound very easy to do, looking at $100 round trip LAX-SFO. I wish I'm eligible for Diamond, but unfortunately Platinum is the highest I can be matched to.

And, do you guys know how frequent I can do status match with Delta?

Edit: The fine print says basic economy tickets don't count, along with others (award tickets of course, etc). So no more $100 round trips but still, easy to finish, and no dollar spending requirement yay.
Edit 2: This is a targeted offer, but you can always check their standard challenge offer if you haven’t received the email. It doesn’t seem to target a specific region or if you have status with DL or not.
Edit 3: Someone not target still got the promo challenge https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32774384-post115.html, specific markets are targeted https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32803313-post147.html, and there are info saying a one way is actually a segment https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32819869-post161.html someone got the challenge for a few days only, some will take much longer like me. It seems the online chat is efficient to nudge them about your process.

ryan182 Oct 19, 2020 3:07 pm

Just got that, am Silver currently with DL and EXP on AA; figured the 6 flights between now and next March would be pretty easy so decided to give it a go.

kef0913 Oct 19, 2020 3:08 pm

I just got the same offer. Currently platinum on AA. The biggest perk for me is that I can book my whole family in MCE when we are traveling so we are at least a little more comfortable. When I am traveling on business my success rate using 500 mile upgrade is < 50%. From what I see from Delta there are unlimited upgrades for me and companion (instead of 500 mile upgrades) but I am not seeing where I could get my whole family in Comfort+.

HiAperture Oct 19, 2020 3:09 pm

I already have DL silver medallion from a past status match from AA gold, which I still hold. I don’t see the normal fine print about time limitations for status matches looking at this promotion. I guess I will have to try to find out if I can move up to DL Gold. What a shame on the application dates, I will be AA platinum in November.

flyerCO Oct 19, 2020 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by kef0913 (Post 32758957)
I just got the same offer. Currently platinum on AA. The biggest perk for me is that I can book my whole family in MCE when we are traveling so we are at least a little more comfortable. When I am traveling on business my success rate using 500 mile upgrade is < 50%. From what I see from Delta there are unlimited upgrades for me and companion (instead of 500 mile upgrades) but I am not seeing where I could get my whole family in Comfort+.

C+ on DL is handled just like F upgrades, just the upgrade window is different. (At booking for DM/PM) You can only upgrade one companion, but it's free.

VFR Oct 19, 2020 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 32758975)
C+ on DL is handled just like F upgrades, just the upgrade window is different. (At booking for DM/PM) You can only upgrade one companion, but it's free.

This is one point where AA and DL status tiers differ a bit. AA Platinum (second tier status, 50k EQMs + $6,000 in non-COVID times) let’s you select MCE seats at booking; AA doesn’t treat them as an upgrade. DL Gold (second tier status, 50k MQMs + $6,000 MQDs) gets you an upgrade to Comfort+ at most 3 days out.

kylep1256 Oct 19, 2020 4:08 pm

This seems like a slap in the face for current Medallion members. You can obtain Diamond with zero spend requirement and a very easy RT or segment requirement. I get we are in a pandemic and flying levels are down.

As far as we know right now, current Medallion members will still need to maintain the usual MQM's & MQD's to obtain status. Even with the 2020 rollover policy, this seems like a poor way to reward and build on current loyalty.

rune87 Oct 19, 2020 4:17 pm

Definitely enough of an incentive for me to give Delta a run since I don't have to work to get 75k on AS this year. Could be interesting to go back to Delta and see how I like it.

JHake10 Oct 19, 2020 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by rune87 (Post 32759103)
Definitely enough of an incentive for me to give Delta a run since I don't have to work to get 75k on AS this year. Could be interesting to go back to Delta and see how I like it.

Same here. Currently a AS 75K and would like to give Delta a try. This is a smart promo.

simonsuo Oct 19, 2020 5:29 pm

just curious if this is targeting the west coast. From the comments, it seems many of us receiving the promo is from the west coast.

allaroundtheworld21 Oct 19, 2020 5:48 pm

I'm on the east coast and got the email, i'm aa exp and have flow delta maybe 4 times in my life.

allaroundtheworld21 Oct 19, 2020 5:49 pm

quick question, does a ticket with 1 connection count as 2 flights for this challenge?

cfischer Oct 19, 2020 5:54 pm

Interesting. 6 quick r/ts BOS-NYC and I get Diamond till March 2022 ... tempting.

Ryno1234 Oct 19, 2020 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by kylep1256 (Post 32759086)
This seems like a slap in the face for current Medallion members. You can obtain Diamond with zero spend requirement and a very easy RT or segment requirement. I get we are in a pandemic and flying levels are down.

As far as we know right now, current Medallion members will still need to maintain the usual MQM's & MQD's to obtain status. Even with the 2020 rollover policy, this seems like a poor way to reward and build on current loyalty.

yeah i can see this point. I am going to re qualify this year for Diamond the old fashioned way: >125,000 miles and $15,000 spend. Not bad for a year of apocalypse. Now i will be competing against others who get diamond for lesser effort. Oh well, it is what it is. Cant fight city hall. I wont ever leave delta and im sure they know that. Been too good to me.

Zorak Oct 19, 2020 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by kylep1256 (Post 32759086)

All status matches/challenges are sort of a slap in the face to existing elites who earned it the hard way, and not to mention the credit card vs BIS debate. It is what it is. Can't do much about it as Ryno says...

Regarding your second paragraph however, current medallions don't need to have flown at all in 2020 to have their current status extended through January 2022 which is also the end of the status period for a successful challenge candidate, so...

Originally Posted by allaroundtheworld21 (Post 32759261)
quick question, does a ticket with 1 connection count as 2 flights for this challenge?

The T&C at the link don't spell it out exactly what "one way" entails, but I suspect the answer is no and that if they meant MQS they would have said so.

You could always price the trip out as two one ways and see if it comes out cheaper (not impossible depending on the cities involved). DL will protect across multiple tickets.

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 32759267)
Interesting. 6 quick r/ts BOS-NYC and I get Diamond till March 2022 ... tempting.

*Through January 2022.