Delays on LAS-ATL 767 flights

Old Oct 16, 20, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Delays on LAS-ATL 767 flights

Curious if anyone know why the delays on LAS-ATL 767 flights. The daytime flights are operated using 763. I've noticed lengthy departure delays, even when the 763 is RON at LAS.

Any clues?
Old Oct 16, 20, 11:26 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM
The great majority of them have departed just about on time this month. Of course, there may always be mechanical or crew issues that lead to delays, but I do not see a systematic pattern here.
Old Oct 17, 20, 12:55 am

Programs: Delta Gold, WN A-List Preferred, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
Just flew that route RT on the 767 last week - both flights left on time. The D1 cabin is so old, worn and rickety. That 2025 retirement seems so far away.
BamaGirl, cmd320 and Gig103 like this.
Old Oct 17, 20, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by melissaru View Post
Just flew that route RT on the 767 last week - both flights left on time. The D1 cabin is so old, worn and rickety. That 2025 retirement seems so far away.
So you would prefer a standard recliner seat on a leisure domestic route? Most would be very pleased to have it.
MazdaMP likes this.
Old Oct 17, 20, 5:40 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, WN A+/CP, UA SIL, DL Plat, Marriott TIT (LT), Hyatt EXPL, Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare View Post
So you would prefer a standard recliner seat on a leisure domestic route? Most would be very pleased to have it.
I flew the old 767-300 ATL-SLC last month. The seat was so hard, my hip ached for 2 days. While it is nice to lay down, in my case is was a mixed blessing.

To answer the OP's question, the 767-300's have more maintenance issues than any other plane in Delta's fleet.
Old Oct 17, 20, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Curious if anyone know why the delays on LAS-ATL 767 flights. The daytime flights are operated using 763. I've noticed lengthy departure delays, even when the 763 is RON at LAS.

Any clues?
It looks like 2 were delayed all month, which flights are you referring to? I wouldn't read anything into the delays on this route specifically.
Old Oct 17, 20, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by nachosdelux View Post
I flew the old 767-300 ATL-SLC last month. The seat was so hard, my hip ached for 2 days. While it is nice to lay down, in my case is was a mixed blessing.

To answer the OP's question, the 767-300's have more maintenance issues than any other plane in Delta's fleet.
Agreed. These seats are pretty terrible from a comfort and space point of view, though they always have been. Now they're just starting to look more and more ghetto as they age poorly. Still, it's an upgrade over domestic F which is all around quite terrible IMO.

It definitely seems like the 763 maintenance is a bit of an issue. The dispatch reliability is not up to what it is of other aircraft in the fleet. Ironically, 757s of the same era don't seem to suffer this issue in my experience.
Old Oct 17, 20, 12:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by nachosdelux View Post

IME it's better to fold the duvet and use it as a mattress pad to "soften" the flat bed.
Old Oct 17, 20, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by melissaru View Post
Sadly, DL will most likely not install new D1 (F on non D1 flights) seats on these old birds for a long time

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
IME it's better to fold the duvet and use it as a mattress pad to "soften" the flat bed.
Yes, but duvets are only available on domestic Delta One routes and ATL LAS isn't one of them; same for ATL SLC
cmd320 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 20, 4:08 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
It might as well be a recliner seat; I couldn't lay-flat on the 767 because it was so narrow and the arms didn't go down, making it claustrophobic. I'm glad my 767-D1 experience was only $2k round trip to Europe from Orbitz a few years ago; if I had been facing a full "J" fare, which are double or triple what I paid, I'd have been upset at the offering.

Edit to add: I'd rather take the 757 seat, even though it's 2-2 seating, because it's more comfortable.
Old Oct 17, 20, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
It might as well be a recliner seat; I couldn't lay-flat on the 767 because it was so narrow and the arms didn't go down, making it claustrophobic. I'm glad my 767-D1 experience was only $2k round trip to Europe from Orbitz a few years ago; if I had been facing a full "J" fare, which are double or triple what I paid, I'd have been upset at the offering.

Edit to add: I'd rather take the 757 seat, even though it's 2-2 seating, because it's more comfortable.
The new D1 seats on 764s are a lot better, but doubt that DL will add these to 763s in the near future
Old Oct 17, 20, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
It would be interesting to see a survey of the body dimensions of FT members. There's an absurd amount of complaints in regards to seats. Ive never been miserable in any airplane seat whether it be on a CRJ-200 or J seat on a 747.
Old Oct 17, 20, 4:55 pm

It would be interesting to see a survey of the body dimensions of FT members. There's an absurd amount of complaints in regards to seats. Ive never been miserable in any airplane seat whether it be on a CRJ-200 or J seat on a 747.
Good point. I've been wishing for more leg room many times but have never had problems with my hips or butt when walking off a DL plane.
readywhenyouare likes this.
Old Oct 17, 20, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by Fly me to the Stars View Post
Good point. I've been wishing for more leg room many times but have never had problems with my hips or butt when walking off a DL plane.
I have no problems admitting I'm an obese man, but that has been true for all of my business class flights, and the DL 767 seat is the least comfortable biz seat I've flown, among my experience of DL (767, 777, A330), BA, AA, SQ, LH, AF, and KL. And I'm not complaining as much about in the upright position, but when reclined. The fixed consoles & arm rest make the seat more narrow when laid flat than the competition and can lead to discomfort laying on ones side with the shell of the seat very much "in your face", and I don't believe that is the case only for the obese (just exacerbated). If the shell dropped on one side (manually like the A330 or automatically like BA's Club World on recline), I think it would be an improvement.
Old Oct 17, 20, 6:51 pm
was FlyEndeavourAir

Programs: Non-Rev, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Global Entry
The only time I was uncomfortable in an airline seat was on AirTran's 717's seats outfitted in cloth. I thought the padding on the bottom of the seats was too thin but was fine with it considering the flight was only a couple of hours long. Delta's padding on the 717's now are night and day.

Other than maybe wanting a little more leg space I agree with you.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: