FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delays on LAS-ATL 767 flights (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2027013-delays-las-atl-767-flights.html)

flyerCO Oct 16, 2020 9:37 pm

Delays on LAS-ATL 767 flights

Curious if anyone know why the delays on LAS-ATL 767 flights. The daytime flights are operated using 763. I've noticed lengthy departure delays, even when the 763 is RON at LAS.

Any clues?

PHXflier Oct 16, 2020 11:26 pm

The great majority of them have departed just about on time this month. Of course, there may always be mechanical or crew issues that lead to delays, but I do not see a systematic pattern here.

melissaru Oct 17, 2020 12:55 am

Just flew that route RT on the 767 last week - both flights left on time. The D1 cabin is so old, worn and rickety. That 2025 retirement seems so far away.

readywhenyouare Oct 17, 2020 3:10 am

Originally Posted by melissaru (Post 32753472)
Just flew that route RT on the 767 last week - both flights left on time. The D1 cabin is so old, worn and rickety. That 2025 retirement seems so far away.

So you would prefer a standard recliner seat on a leisure domestic route? :confused: Most would be very pleased to have it.

nachosdelux Oct 17, 2020 5:40 am

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare (Post 32753578)
So you would prefer a standard recliner seat on a leisure domestic route? :confused: Most would be very pleased to have it.

I flew the old 767-300 ATL-SLC last month. The seat was so hard, my hip ached for 2 days. While it is nice to lay down, in my case is was a mixed blessing.

To answer the OP's question, the 767-300's have more maintenance issues than any other plane in Delta's fleet.

WScottsdaleInsider Oct 17, 2020 8:01 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 32753339)
Curious if anyone know why the delays on LAS-ATL 767 flights. The daytime flights are operated using 763. I've noticed lengthy departure delays, even when the 763 is RON at LAS.

Any clues?

It looks like 2 were delayed all month, which flights are you referring to? I wouldn't read anything into the delays on this route specifically.

cmd320 Oct 17, 2020 8:09 am

Originally Posted by nachosdelux (Post 32753708)
I flew the old 767-300 ATL-SLC last month. The seat was so hard, my hip ached for 2 days. While it is nice to lay down, in my case is was a mixed blessing.

To answer the OP's question, the 767-300's have more maintenance issues than any other plane in Delta's fleet.

Agreed. These seats are pretty terrible from a comfort and space point of view, though they always have been. Now they're just starting to look more and more ghetto as they age poorly. Still, it's an upgrade over domestic F which is all around quite terrible IMO.

It definitely seems like the 763 maintenance is a bit of an issue. The dispatch reliability is not up to what it is of other aircraft in the fleet. Ironically, 757s of the same era don't seem to suffer this issue in my experience.

MSPeconomist Oct 17, 2020 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by nachosdelux (Post 32753708)

IME it's better to fold the duvet and use it as a mattress pad to "soften" the flat bed.

fly747first Oct 17, 2020 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by melissaru (Post 32753472)

Sadly, DL will most likely not install new D1 (F on non D1 flights) seats on these old birds for a long time

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 32754356)
IME it's better to fold the duvet and use it as a mattress pad to "soften" the flat bed.

Yes, but duvets are only available on domestic Delta One routes and ATL LAS isn't one of them; same for ATL SLC

Gig103 Oct 17, 2020 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare (Post 32753578)

It might as well be a recliner seat; I couldn't lay-flat on the 767 because it was so narrow and the arms didn't go down, making it claustrophobic. I'm glad my 767-D1 experience was only $2k round trip to Europe from Orbitz a few years ago; if I had been facing a full "J" fare, which are double or triple what I paid, I'd have been upset at the offering.

Edit to add: I'd rather take the 757 seat, even though it's 2-2 seating, because it's more comfortable.

fly747first Oct 17, 2020 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 32754730)
It might as well be a recliner seat; I couldn't lay-flat on the 767 because it was so narrow and the arms didn't go down, making it claustrophobic. I'm glad my 767-D1 experience was only $2k round trip to Europe from Orbitz a few years ago; if I had been facing a full "J" fare, which are double or triple what I paid, I'd have been upset at the offering.

Edit to add: I'd rather take the 757 seat, even though it's 2-2 seating, because it's more comfortable.

The new D1 seats on 764s are a lot better, but doubt that DL will add these to 763s in the near future

readywhenyouare Oct 17, 2020 4:42 pm

It would be interesting to see a survey of the body dimensions of FT members. There's an absurd amount of complaints in regards to seats. Ive never been miserable in any airplane seat whether it be on a CRJ-200 or J seat on a 747.

Fly me to the Stars Oct 17, 2020 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare (Post 32754813)
It would be interesting to see a survey of the body dimensions of FT members. There's an absurd amount of complaints in regards to seats. Ive never been miserable in any airplane seat whether it be on a CRJ-200 or J seat on a 747.

Good point. I've been wishing for more leg room many times but have never had problems with my hips or butt when walking off a DL plane.

Gig103 Oct 17, 2020 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Fly me to the Stars (Post 32754834)
Good point. I've been wishing for more leg room many times but have never had problems with my hips or butt when walking off a DL plane.

I have no problems admitting I'm an obese man, but that has been true for all of my business class flights, and the DL 767 seat is the least comfortable biz seat I've flown, among my experience of DL (767, 777, A330), BA, AA, SQ, LH, AF, and KL. And I'm not complaining as much about in the upright position, but when reclined. The fixed consoles & arm rest make the seat more narrow when laid flat than the competition and can lead to discomfort laying on ones side with the shell of the seat very much "in your face", and I don't believe that is the case only for the obese (just exacerbated). If the shell dropped on one side (manually like the A330 or automatically like BA's Club World on recline), I think it would be an improvement.

FlyDeltaMD88 Oct 17, 2020 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare (Post 32754813)

The only time I was uncomfortable in an airline seat was on AirTran's 717's seats outfitted in cloth. I thought the padding on the bottom of the seats was too thin but was fine with it considering the flight was only a couple of hours long. Delta's padding on the 717's now are night and day.

Other than maybe wanting a little more leg space I agree with you.