Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Half of Round Trip - When to Cancel Return

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Half of Round Trip - When to Cancel Return

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2020, 4:49 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA: CK
Question Using Half of Round Trip - When to Cancel Return

I have JFK-MEX coming up that's part of a round trip JFK-MEX-JFK J ticket (I class) purchased on DL metal & DL marketed through Amex (Plat) Travel (at a 15% discount to DL's fare at the time). I'm not going to use the return. Total was ~$860 for the round trip.

When should I tell Amex that I don't plan to use the return, so as to maximize the remaining portion, which I'll get in a voucher (if any)?

If I call to cancel now, I'm afraid they'll reprice it as a one way, which is currently pricing out at more than the original round trip, in which case, voucher would be for nothing, and they might even add/collect if I want to board the outbound.

If I tell them after I've arrived in MEX, would they simply allocate 50% to a voucher, or would they reprice it as if I had only taken a one way? Meaning no voucher, but they can't really add/collect. I mean, I guess they could, but I don't see that happening, since I've already arrived where I need to be.

Should I just no show for the return? That seems rude.

ETA: I asked Amex the same question as a hypothetical, and the agent basically said she didn't know what's best.

Thanks,
-BlooJoo

Last edited by BlooJoo; Oct 15, 2020 at 5:19 pm
Old Oct 15, 2020, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by BlooJoo
Should I just no show for the return?
Yes. And hope for a material schedule change or cancellation on the return so you can get some money back.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 7:08 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
Yes. And hope for a material schedule change or cancellation on the return so you can get some money back.
Thank you. I assume change fees are waived anyway, so what would the benefit be of a major schedule change? The return in question is only in four days.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 7:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No way to tell without doing the calculations under the fare rules.

If the flight is cancelled or there is a "significant change" (that is the DOT term), then you are entitled to a refund. If not, then cancel on the day of the flight and take a credit. Either way, might be small or might be $0. You lose nothing, however, by doing this.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 7:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
No way to tell without doing the calculations under the fare rules.

If the flight is cancelled or there is a "significant change" (that is the DOT term), then you are entitled to a refund. If not, then cancel on the day of the flight and take a credit. Either way, might be small or might be $0. You lose nothing, however, by doing this.
Thanks. So don’t inform them prior to my outbound, then?
Old Oct 15, 2020, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
You wont be getting a refund if the current cheapest OW is more than the RT. However you can call and ask to change the return to another date. As long as it complies with the fare rules for your current return and same fare class is available, no cost. If same fare class isn't available you'll have to pay to up fare to next available fare class. If cant comply with fare rule (say must return with 30 days, but need to book 31 days from outbound) they will need to reprocess the ticket with a fare (if one is even available) that works with your outbound fare. If there is no such fare, then you can't use the ticket as there's no available funds remaining.

Lastly, can wait and hope there's a schedule change or delay to return that results in getting a refund. In this case they'll follow a formula to determine how much to refund.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
If they let you have a free date change on the return, just move it out as far as possible, after you’ve arrived in MEX.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 5:23 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks, guys! A date change for sure is what I want to do! I'll call after I arrive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.