General Skyclub Question

Old Oct 10, 20, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 1MM Diamond, UA 1k, HH Silver, BonVoy Platinum
General Skyclub Question

I"m flying out of PHX next week. I'm DM and planning to choose the SkyClub as a choice benefit for the first time since I live in Thailand and am usually on int'l flights so haven't needed it. (well it also used to be included free but I digress...). So I'm not really up on the rules for access. I will be traveling with Mom, sister and her 3 year old. So what are the odds I could use the lounge by paying for 2 guests or will I have to pay for 3 but that doesn't even sound like it's allowed. Any ideas how it might shake out? Thanks!
Old Oct 11, 20, 1:38 pm

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
Others will know for sure; I am not an expert and was spoiled by many years when guests were allowed In without any issue. Nowadays, you need to read the fine print for whatever method you use for yourself to get in and be prepared to have the rules enforced for the rest of your party. There are some membership tweaks that cost more but then get some people in for free.

To me it has never been worth paying for club access. But I live in a hub, so I only connect a few times a year.
Old Oct 11, 20, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Powers106 View Post
I"m flying out of PHX next week. I'm DM and planning to choose the SkyClub as a choice benefit for the first time since I live in Thailand and am usually on int'l flights so haven't needed it. (well it also used to be included free but I digress...). So I'm not really up on the rules for access. I will be traveling with Mom, sister and her 3 year old. So what are the odds I could use the lounge by paying for 2 guests or will I have to pay for 3 but that doesn't even sound like it's allowed. Any ideas how it might shake out? Thanks!
I can't imagine any scenario where I'd pay for Skyclub access in PHX right now. It's pretty dead in terms of passengers, and there are food options (Panera, Shake Shack, Starbucks, etc). Just a thought, I'd save the money,
Old Oct 11, 20, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
I"m flying out of PHX next week. I'm DM and planning to choose the SkyClub as a choice benefit for the first time since I live in Thailand and am usually on int'l flights so haven't needed it. (well it also used to be included free but I digress...).
It used to be included free, but also we also only used to get two Choice Benefits instead of three So DMs are no worse off than they were before, and depending whether you hold other means of access (Reserve Card, AMEX Plat, etc.) you now have an extra Choice Benefit.

So I'm not really up on the rules for access. I will be traveling with Mom, sister and her 3 year old. So what are the odds I could use the lounge by paying for 2 guests or will I have to pay for 3 but that doesn't even sound like it's allowed. Any ideas how it might shake out? Thanks!
They might let you pay for 2 guests, and include the child for free (technically I think this only applies to the primary entrant's children but they're not likely to check) -- the guest policy has some ambiguity in permitting up to 2 guest, and also spouse and children, but is unclear about whether you can combine the two to get more than 3 total guests.

That being said, there are some success reports in this thread in similar situations:

Diamond Choice Benefit - Sky Club Guest Pass (Consolidated Thread)

... which is not specifically about purchasing guest access (it's more about the choice benefit add-on that sort of converts Reserve/Plat access into an Exec-lite membership sort of situation). It all probably comes down to how your individual SC check-in agent is feeling.

However especially if this is one of the only times you will be in this specific situation, I agree with others that I wouldn't recommend burning a Choice Benefit just for the privilege of being allowed to pay $39 per guest to enter the SC in COVID times.
Old Oct 11, 20, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I will probably get the SkyClub access but it seems to make sense that the $78 plus tax probably would go further at one of the open restaurants. Cheers!
Old Oct 11, 20, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.1MM, EK Gold, SQ Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
FYI I was told all guesting was suspended unless the guests were allowed in as part of the membership (for example, an AMEX Plat couldn't gain access for free for themselves AND then buy a guest past for a second person traveling with them).
Old Oct 11, 20, 8:57 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Gold, DL Diamond and 1MM
Zorak is correct that making Diamonds use a Choice Benefit pick if we want Skyclub access is not a devaluation because we got a third pick to compensate. Last couple of years, my picks were GUC's and 25k Skymiles (two times). I'd value 25,000 Skymiles at about $400. It was cheaper for me to pay admission for the few times I really wanted to go to a Skyclub.

A lot of my travel was international when I already had access. Other times (but rather rarely), a Priority Pass club is a feasible option. I have access with an Amex Hilton Surpass credit card, not that I'd pay the $99 annual fee just for up to the ten PP club visits allowed per year.

Unless one does a lot a domestic travel thru Delta hubs, I'd consider just paying per visit. Admission used to be $29, but $39 is still OK for fewer than 10 admissions per year.

Last edited by Bowgie; Oct 11, 20 at 9:03 pm
Old Oct 11, 20, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bowgie View Post
Zorak is correct that making Diamonds use a Choice Benefit pick if we want Skyclub access is not a devaluation because we got a third pick to compensate. Last couple of years, my picks were GUC's and 25k Skymiles (two times). I'd value 25,000 Skymiles at about $400. It was cheaper for me to pay admission for the few times I really wanted to go to a Skyclub.

A lot of my travel was international when I already had access. Other times (but rather rarely), a Priority Pass club is a feasible option. I have access with an Amex Hilton Surpass credit card, not that I'd pay the $99 annual fee just for up to the ten PP club visits allowed per year.

Unless one does a lot a domestic travel thru Delta hubs, I'd consider just paying per visit. Admission used to be $29, but $39 is still OK for fewer than 10 admissions per year.
Yeah, that is basically my situation, it's rare that I am not on an international ticket and even rarer that I'm actually traveling with someone only domestically!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: