Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Should Delta revert back to Medallion status earnings by BIS miles or segments?

Should Delta revert back to Medallion status earnings by BIS miles or segments?

Old Oct 15, 20, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL DM 2 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by The Situation View Post
. I think AA's earnings table was fair. I would assume I would probably drop down to GM if DL matches those earning requirements, and I would be okay with that since I probably would not feel too much of a loss in benefits given how many are in similar circumstances.
The other item for AA was it starts now so any holiday travel counts towards next year. That is my issue with everything Delta is doing, my travel this year cut down to once a month is basically worthless.
Old Oct 30, 20, 8:02 am

Programs: UA: 1K 1.5MM, DL: DM 3.5MM, LH: exSEN 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite, Hertz PresC
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR View Post
For those who get the AmEx spend waiver, like me, up through PM the rollover of all MQMs helps quite a bit. As it stands now, I'll be starting 2021 with enough MQMs for at least GM for 2022 (possibly PM but that may be a stretch - will depend if I hit the second AmEx boost) without even stepping foot on a DL plane. Once I get the AmEx spend boost in 2021 for $30K in spend in that calendar year, I'll be at PM for 2022, and that's without even setting foot on a plane (I hope that's not the case - I hope I get back to travel by next Spring/Summer both for work and personal travel).

Videoconferencing is about a 90% solution but sometimes that last additional 10% is what makes the difference and why in-person/face-to-face is still valuable in many instances. And sometimes the informal side-bar discussions that come with in-person/face-to-face meetings are where some of the most important things are discussed, which is why there will always be a need for some in-person and face-to-face meetings. Same thing at conferences and trade-shows, which is why I see those coming back. Yea, the main presentations can all be viewed via the web but the planned and unplanned interactions off to the side that occur can't be replicated via teleconferencing.
There is no PQD waiver for DM status renewal (unless you consider the $250k Amex waiver), which again makes the MQM rollover useless.
Old Oct 30, 20, 8:07 am

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: Delta PM, AA PLT, UA Gold, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Christefan View Post
There is no PQD waiver for DM status renewal (unless you consider the $250k Amex waiver), which again makes the MQM rollover useless.
There's no "PQD waiver" for any Medallion level at DL because DL doesn't use "PQDs".

But again, if just because rollover is useless for you as a DM, that doesn't make it useless for me or others as a PM (or GM or FO). As noted, because of DL's rollover policy this year, and then throw in next year's AmEx boosts, plus the current MQM AmEx bonus program, and now I'll be a PM for 2022 even if I don't set a foot on a DL aircraft in 2021. So the rollover isn't useless to me and many others, even if it's useless to you.
ND76 and MSPeconomist like this.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Oct 30, 20 at 8:28 am
Old Oct 30, 20, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM MM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Plat, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Christefan View Post
Depends on your MQD/MQM ratio. For non-business travelers like me who mostly try to get MQMs as cheaply as possible, yeah, it's not terribly useful, but for people who pay a lot for relatively shorter flights they probably have a different opinion
Old Oct 30, 20, 7:08 pm

They do/did on the Barclay Aviation Silver and used to on another card but the Silver card isn't open to new applications.

But the current fixed target is the baseline/status quo anyway. Whether someone is 6K MQDs short or only 3K MQDs short for PM, they can make up the full gap with the current $25K spend waiver. I wonder if more people would put more on the card to if it was required to move up to the next level. Right now, if all you care about is the MQD waiver but otherwise get enough MQMs that you don't care about additional MQM boosts, there's no incentive to spend beyond $25K and instead one can put that spend on another card for other benefits. A system that gives MQD credits based on reaching certain spend thresholds would encourage plenty of customers to spend more on the card to earn the MQD credits.
Late reply but if they had lower tiers for the waiver I would go pickup the card (and maybe deal with Amex RAT again but whatever bonus not really that relevant for my use case) where I could have spent a lesser amount for a FO waiver rather than the full 25K for the much larger one, I would be more game to use that route.

As is my work travel has been not much and short of MQD for my first Delta status starting from zero but whatever, can find some dummy flight if I care enough to try to get it before the end of the year and if the carry over for non-status isnt something. Need to check that, been busy.
Old Oct 30, 20, 9:34 pm

Programs: Delta PM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National Executive Elite; Amtrak Guest Rewards; Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I'm now up to 212k MQMs including rollover MQMs; I have only 13k more to go to secure PM status in 2022, 2023 and 2024 (assuming I spend $25k per year on my AMEX Reserve card, which I will). I'll be 70 years old in January, 2025. I'll pretty much be done with flying by then (I've committed to clients to keep working through 2022, but will probably gradually retire after that).

I've done 66k BIS MQMs in 2020, which is not bad considering I've had no international travel this year, and have another 30k this year from the reserve card (this is the first year I've had this card).

I'd love to be DM one more time, but I can't do the $15k within a 12 month period. For selfish reasons, I wish they would abandon the MQD requirement and let me apply my MQMs to DM status.
Spiff and GagaPilot like this.
Old Oct 30, 20, 10:01 pm

Programs: DL DM & 1MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ND76 View Post
For selfish reasons, I wish they would abandon the MQD requirement and let me apply my MQMs to DM status.
While is nothing is off the table, getting rid of the MQD requirement completely is highly unlikely. With the new status match launched earlier this month, DL has already further diluted the elite tiers, especially DM.

If anything, DL should incentivize spending/flying: (a) spending more on Amex cards (i.e. extend the current offer of 500 miles + MQMs for every $1k spend beyond 12/31/20), (b) offer 2x/3x/4x MQMs + MQDs earning for DL flight purchases, (c) offer flash sales for J and Y cabins for domestic and international flights, and (d) re-introduce in-flight service.

This "bug" is here to stay with us for the foreseeable future, and we have to deal with it safely and smartly.
GagaPilot likes this.
Old Oct 31, 20, 7:12 am

There's no "PQD waiver" for any Medallion level at DL because DL doesn't use "PQDs".

But again, if just because rollover is useless for you as a DM, that doesn't make it useless for me or others as a PM (or GM or FO). As noted, because of DL's rollover policy this year, and then throw in next year's AmEx boosts, plus the current MQM AmEx bonus program, and now I'll be a PM for 2022 even if I don't set a foot on a DL aircraft in 2021. So the rollover isn't useless to me and many others, even if it's useless to you.
I never understood the benefits of PM or DM status for those who never fly (other than perhaps getting through on the phone line a little quicker to discuss flights that you wont be taking).
Old Oct 31, 20, 7:25 am

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: Delta PM, AA PLT, UA Gold, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle View Post
I never understood the benefits of PM or DM status for those who never fly (other than perhaps getting through on the phone line a little quicker to discuss flights that you wont be taking).
You misunderstand. Prior to COVID I was flying a decent amount - not as much as DMs or even many PMs or GMs, but I still flew a good bit, with a mix of personal and work travel. My work travel goes through cycles but I still do a lot of personal travel too.

My point is that because if the rollover method DL has implemented, I will still be a PM for 2022 even if I dont fly at all in 2021 (which is going to be dependent on the COVID situation). And PM status is well worth it. Im rather tall. Even with minimal flying, PM gets me C+ complimentary, versus having to pay the (sometimes significant) upcharge. Even a few flights a year at $100-$200 saved is significant. Theres also the award redeposit waiver. While this is something Id be unlikely to pay for if I didnt have it, again, theres a significant savings and flexibility piece to be able to play with and re-arrange award tickets.
Old Nov 27, 20, 11:19 am

Programs: UA: 1K 1.5MM, DL: DM 3.5MM, LH: exSEN 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite, Hertz PresC
deleted. Dup.
Old Nov 27, 20, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by metalblaze View Post
This is not quite true - UA's MileagePlus program is based on higher spend (DL's equivalent of MQDs) or flight's flown (DL's equivalent of MQSs) & lower spend. The thresholds to qualify have been reduced this year due to COVID, but otherwise, I believe the program has worked quite well.

As you can see from the chart, UA has dropped the MQM requirement all together. As long as you fly the segments (PQF) and spend the $$$ (PQP) you will reach status. Long trips no longer help.

Search this Thread