Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Should Delta revert back to Medallion status earnings by BIS miles or segments?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should Delta revert back to Medallion status earnings by BIS miles or segments?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2020, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by ethernal
If they do anything, it will probably be hub-specific. LAX, SEA, JFK - their competitive hubs - would likely be where relief is granted given the lower fares there. ATL, MSP, DTW..? No way.
I don't think DL is in a spot where it wants to risk any customers who formerly spent X$ internationally. If they have to bump some hub people back to Diamond to make sure they keep booking D1 when Americans can actually fly to Europe again, they're likely to do it IMO. I would totally buy different thresholds however...It might be $8-9k in NYC/SEA but $12k in ATL/MSP.

If it was a normal economic downturn, I'd totally agree with you. But making sure people are back buying D1 seats is going to be the A #1 priority for DL and every carrier. And everyone is going to go out trying to poach the other guys top FF.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 11:12 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by kop84
I don't think DL is in a spot where it wants to risk any customers who formerly spent X$ internationally. If they have to bump some hub people back to Diamond to make sure they keep booking D1 when Americans can actually fly to Europe again, they're likely to do it IMO. I would totally buy different thresholds however...It might be $8-9k in NYC/SEA but $12k in ATL/MSP.

If it was a normal economic downturn, I'd totally agree with you. But making sure people are back buying D1 seats is going to be the A #1 priority for DL and every carrier. And everyone is going to go out trying to poach the other guys top FF.
They'll protect heavy D1 buyers by extending DL360 status. Diamond status is primarily for retention of domestic flyers (or those who only do occasional international business).
Old Oct 6, 2020, 11:12 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Given how AmEx has been pretty generous in IIRC, prepaying for miles from Delta, Delta isn’t likely to take action that would move customer spending away from AmEx in the form of making the MQD waiver for the Skymiles Platinum and Reserve cards less or not at all relevant
Old Oct 6, 2020, 11:16 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by DTWflyer
The way things are going right now, I'm thinking they will probably extend 2020 status based on 2019 flying/spend out another year for not just 2021 but for 2022.
The travel situation for most isn't getting any better for most until probably spring/summer 2021 best case at this point.
I don’t think another blanket extension will happen as I assume enough people are flying at this point where they can attain status by flying and it wouldn’t be fair to those who want to try and obtain status. I’d assume reduced qualifications (probably just MQDs since MQMs are being rolled over) will probably be the likely scenario here. I just can’t see most businesses going back to it’s pre-COVID spending patterns right away next year especially with many businesses being in a budget shortfall and in cost cutting mode right now.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
You're completely right that it's not trivial to most people in the US. It is trivial to the people that Delta wants to have as their top (published) status.
Fair enough - that better clarifies what your original intent was versus how I interpreted it.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 12:36 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
You LAX-JFK example - pretty much the longest standard transcon you can fly
Sidebar for a point of trivia: JFK-SFO is 111 miles (or about 4%) longer than JFK-LAX (2586 vs 2475)!
Old Oct 6, 2020, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by bennos
Sidebar for a point of trivia: JFK-SFO is 111 miles (or about 4%) longer than JFK-LAX (2586 vs 2475)!
And BOS-LAX and BOS-SFO clock in at 2,611 miles and 2,704 miles, respectively. I believe the longest regularly scheduled domestic transcon one can do is MIA-SEA, at 2,724 miles, which only AA operates, followed by SEA-FLL at 2,717 miles which AS and B6 operate, and DL has previously operated though it does not currently show on the list of destinations. After that, with BOS-SFO in between, I believe is PDX-FLL, at 2,700 miles, operated again by both AS and B6.
(All distances based on GCMap).
Old Oct 6, 2020, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
As others have mentioned I expect DL to have incentives depending on when business travel starts swing back to normal and whether there is a full year of business travel or a partial year of business travel (or worst case another year of no business travel).

Plus you always have the DL AMEX waiver.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
I don’t think another blanket extension will happen
<snip>
agreed.
as I assume enough people are flying at this point where they can attain status by flying and it wouldn’t be fair to those who want to try and obtain status. I’d assume reduced qualifications (probably just MQDs since MQMs are being rolled over) will probably be the likely scenario here. I just can’t see most businesses going back to it’s pre-COVID spending patterns right away next year especially with many businesses being in a budget shortfall and in cost cutting mode right now.
For the rest of it, in my view it's a guessing game. Looks like air travel will be seriously depressed through 2021:H1 at the very least. But predictions have gone wrong recently. 2020:Q4 is going substantially worse than airlines expected literally six or eight weeks ago.

So IDK what they're gonna do. Reduced qualification thresholds seem plausible at this stage as they leave some incentive for incremental bookings. Stay tuned, though, until they have got a better idea about the booking numbers for the summer 2021 schedule...
Old Oct 6, 2020, 4:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Some people need to travel for business. Most don't. Many companies have figured out that the purpose of much business travel can be accomplished remotely.
Business travel might never reach 2019 levels again.
Spiff likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MarkCron
Some people need to travel for business. Most don't. Many companies have figured out that the purpose of much business travel can be accomplished remotely.
Business travel might never reach 2019 levels again.
Maybe over the next 3-4 years but long-term I don't agree.

IMO what goes away in the short-term are a lot of the internal meetings. Definitely don't need to be in person for a lot of them (nor do you need to be in an office either), but nothing replaces (a) in-person client meetings/events and (b) in-person internal strategy sessions (thinking group meetings like 10-12 where it's impossible to get the same amount done remotely vs. having a 1-2 day in-person all-day session).
Old Oct 7, 2020, 4:09 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by Duke787
IMO what goes away in the short-term are a lot of the internal meetings. Definitely don't need to be in person for a lot of them (nor do you need to be in an office either), but nothing replaces (a) in-person client meetings/events and (b) in-person internal strategy sessions (thinking group meetings like 10-12 where it's impossible to get the same amount done remotely vs. having a 1-2 day in-person all-day session).
Similarly, I expect conferences and trade shows will come back. (I've been doing some virtual conferences, and they aren't even, uh, remotely the same experience.) While I don't think we'll hit 2019 travel levels on day one, I do think that as soon as businesses feel comfortable with travel again, it will recover quickly. (Relatedly, I also think the end of the office is also overstated, though we could see more flexible models like 60/40.)

It's unclear to me what incentives DL or the airlines can provide to stimulate travel, other than what they've already been doing: eliminating nuisance fees and playing up their health and safety changes. Tweaking the FFP rules might shift some marginal business across the majors, but that seems pretty net-net to me, and if I were traveling now my primary goal would be whichever itinerary kept me on a plane the shortest amount of time with the fewest people.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 6:23 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
ETA: To clarify, I'm not suggesting DL do away with spend thresholds and I get the concept that if "everyone's elite, no one's elite". I am merely pointing out that $15,000 in spend on air travel is not "trivial" for most people.
Agreed that spending $15k on air travel isn’t trivial for lots of people.

But, the customers Delta really wants are the folks for whom spending $15k is trivial.
Christefan likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 7:28 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
I think the more likely scenario is Delta gets rid of MQM/MQS and goes solely to MQD. The current system is unnecessarily complex.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 8:02 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by bennos
Similarly, I expect conferences and trade shows will come back. (I've been doing some virtual conferences, and they aren't even, uh, remotely the same experience.) While I don't think we'll hit 2019 travel levels on day one, I do think that as soon as businesses feel comfortable with travel again, it will recover quickly. (Relatedly, I also think the end of the office is also overstated, though we could see more flexible models like 60/40.)

It's unclear to me what incentives DL or the airlines can provide to stimulate travel, other than what they've already been doing: eliminating nuisance fees and playing up their health and safety changes. Tweaking the FFP rules might shift some marginal business across the majors, but that seems pretty net-net to me, and if I were traveling now my primary goal would be whichever itinerary kept me on a plane the shortest amount of time with the fewest people.
I do not doubt at all that some companies will resume normal travel eventually.
But I work for a worldwide company with over 100,000 employees, and I can say without a doubt that our travel will never ever come close to what it used to be.
Reduction will be 30-50%.
I imagine there are many other large and small companies that will reach the same conclusion.
Spiff likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.