Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Vietnam Airlines Pacific Airlines operates flight crediting to Delta

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2020, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat, UA Silver, Delta Silver

I’ve been flying domestically in Vietnam on Vietnam Airlines and getting my flights credited to Delta. Everything has been credited perfectly so far.

Recently Vietnam Airlines bought a majority stake in Jetstar Pacific and renamed them Pacific Airlines.

A few weeks ago I flew on a Vietnam Airlines marketed flight operated by Pacific Airlines bought on the VNA website. I chose to credit to Delta to see if it would post even though I suspected they would not since the operating carrier is technically not a Skyteam member even though flight marketed by a Skyteam member. I wanted a definite answer since crediting to VNA would’ve been only 19 bonus miles and no qualifying flight/segment.

I am posting this so that in the future if anyone searches the answer is that no, they will not get credit on Delta for Pacific Airlines flights with a VN Air flight number.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 5:26 am

Programs: VN Titanium, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Thanks. I’ve been avoiding those flights out of the assumption they won’t credit, but began wondering if they would or would not especially since they are around 20% cheaper than flights operated by VNA.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by BudgetJetsetter
I wanted a definite answer since crediting to VNA would’ve been only 19 bonus miles and no qualifying flight/segment.

I am posting this so that in the future if anyone searches the answer is that no, they will not get credit on Delta for Pacific Airlines flights with a VN Air flight number.
well it's definitively answered on the delta website, if the actual operating carrier isn't a partner you're getting zero. People have run into this for years with (e.g.) KLM-marketed fligts operated by SAS, or even KL-marketed/VS-operated before VS was fully in the JV with DL/AF/KL.
audidudi likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
well it's definitively answered on the delta website, if the actual operating carrier isn't a partner you're getting zero. People have run into this for years with (e.g.) KLM-marketed fligts operated by SAS, or even KL-marketed/VS-operated before VS was fully in the JV with DL/AF/KL.
Well KLM doesn’t own SAS or VS so it’s not quite the same thing. Often there are carve-outs for wholly-owned subsidiaries. Not sure, but maybe KL/Transavia maybe qualifies in this manner.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
Well yes, the operating carrier isn’t a partner but given that Vietnam Airlines owns 98% of Pacific you begin to wonder if it would be coded differently.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by anonHippo
Well yes, the operating carrier isn’t a partner but given that Vietnam Airlines owns 98% of Pacific you begin to wonder if it would be coded differently.
This has zero to do with it. The group (IAG) that owns BA/IB owns Air Europa. UX is still in ST.What matters is what type of codeshare it is.
  1. Is it an airline selling a seat on another airlines flight or
  2. An airline operating a flight on behalf of another airline
The first is like DL1023 operated by AF7. Simply a seat sold on OAL flight

The second is like a DL Connection flight. Republic/Skywest/etc isn't operating their own flight, they're operating on behalf of DL airlines. This is why the plane is done up like a DL plane and that UA/AA/etc can not simply enter into agreement with Republic/Skywest/etc to sell seats on it. They would have to enter an agreement with DL.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 5:05 am

Hmm I flew VN6051 which is operated by Pacific Airlines a few weeks ago, and I got the full credit to delta.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by guear
Hmm I flew VN6051 which is operated by Pacific Airlines a few weeks ago, and I got the full credit to delta.
VN6051 is not operated by BL, it is operated on behalf of VN by BL, so yes get credit. No different than a DL Regional flight.

See my post above for details on differences.

However not all BL flights are operated on behalf of VN.

Last edited by flyerCO; Dec 31, 2022 at 11:23 am
Old Dec 31, 2022, 8:00 pm

If not all BL flights are operated on behalf of VN, then does anyone know a way to see if a flight sold on VN's website that is operated by BL will credit to Delta?
Old Dec 31, 2022, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by anonHippo
If not all BL flights are operated on behalf of VN, then does anyone know a way to see if a flight sold on VN's website that is operated by BL will credit to Delta?
Goto flightstats.com and pull up the VN flight number. It'll say operated by Pacific Airlines or operated on behalf of VN by Pacific Airlines.

Despite otherwise qualifying, a couple of VN flight numbers are excluded for earning, they can be seen on Delta.com
anonHippo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.