Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta eliminates award ticket redeposit and reissue fees

Delta eliminates award ticket redeposit and reissue fees

Old Sep 22, 20, 1:45 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York City
Programs: DL DM& 1MM; Marriott Platinum; HHonors Gold
Posts: 284
Delta eliminates award ticket redeposit and reissue fees

Per OMAAT: https://onemileatatime.com/skymiles-...d-change-fees/

Effective immediately, Delta SkyMiles has eliminated award ticket redeposit and reissue fees for travel within the US (including Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands). Much like with revenue tickets, basic economy tickets are excluded from this new policy.

Previously Delta SkyMiles also had a pesky rule whereby you had to change or cancel a ticket at least 72 hours before departure, or else the award would be forfeited. That rule has been eliminated as well, so all that matters is that you cancel your award ticket before departure.

All of this is in addition to Delta’s blanket no change fee policy for tickets purchased through December 31, 2020, for both domestic and international travel. This means that even international award tickets can be redeposited for free for the time being.
metalblaze is offline  
Old Sep 22, 20, 1:55 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: St. Cloud, FL
Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Posts: 3,286
Not surprised that they ended up doing this as I believe UA announced they were removing their award redeposit fee as well (I donít believe AA had a redeposit fee). Iím surprised DL still hasn't gotten rid of the SDC/SDS $75 fee yet for FOs and non-status members as both AA and UA announced they would drop the fee along with change fees on domestic flights.
Brendan likes this.
MCO Flyer is offline  
Old Sep 22, 20, 2:00 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Posts: 29,623
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer View Post
Not surprised that they ended up doing this as I believe UA announced they were removing their award redeposit fee as well (I donít believe AA had a redeposit fee). Iím surprised DL still hasn't gotten rid of the SDC/SDS $75 fee yet for FOs and non-status members as both AA and UA announced they would drop the fee along with change fees on domestic flights.
AA certainly did have an award redeposit fee before Covid times.
Brendan, iskingolf and JPG3392 like this.
Jaimito Cartero is offline  
Old Sep 22, 20, 2:12 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SFO/SJC, BWI
Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
Posts: 13,419
Direct link to the Delta news item:

https://news.delta.com/delta-extends...y-award-travel
Zorak is offline  
Old Sep 22, 20, 2:16 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Washington, DC, Chapel Hill, NC (RDU)
Programs: DL Diam 2MM (2.3), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Posts: 5,263
This is good, but what about award ticket changes for international tickets? For me that has been one of the better benefits of P&DM status.
mot29 is offline  
Old Sep 22, 20, 2:18 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MCO
Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Posts: 11,746
About time. This always made DL awards a PITA compared to AA awards.
cmd320 is offline  
Old Sep 22, 20, 2:29 pm
  #7  
Formerly known as fsa_ea
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Up in the Air
Programs: DL DM/2MM, AA EXP/2MM, UA GD/1MM, AS MVPG75k, LH SEN, IC RA, FRMT LT PLT, HYT GLOB, HLT DIA, HRTZ PC
Posts: 2,109
Some further details on the following would be helpful:
"Diamond and Platinum Medallion Members who selected Upgrade Certificates, Delta Sky Club Memberships, Delta Sky Club Guest Passes, or Delta Travel Vouchers or gave Medallion Status through Deltaís exclusive Choice Benefits for the 2020 Medallion Year will get to select new Choice Benefits starting on Feb. 1, 2021 (the start of the 2021 Medallion Year) or as they earn Medallion Status (like they normally would)."

For example, what if you selected miles for one Diamond benefit and upgrades for the other two. Do you get two new choices? Will those two new choices include miles? Or, will you get zero choices? This is as clear as mud.
The Mileage Millionaire is offline  
Old Sep 22, 20, 2:40 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Programs: DL MM & DM; Marriott, AmEx, Chase, Cap1
Posts: 813
Did DL say this was permanent? I'd be surprised if it is, especially within 72 hours of travel. They instituted the 72-hour rule for a good reason, as people were massively abusing the system.
jamesteroh likes this.
safigan is offline  
Old Sep 22, 20, 3:17 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SFO/SJC, BWI
Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
Posts: 13,419
Originally Posted by The Mileage Millionaire View Post
Some further details on the following would be helpful:
"Diamond and Platinum Medallion Members who selected Upgrade Certificates, Delta Sky Club Memberships, Delta Sky Club Guest Passes, or Delta Travel Vouchers or gave Medallion Status through Deltaís exclusive Choice Benefits for the 2020 Medallion Year will get to select new Choice Benefits starting on Feb. 1, 2021 (the start of the 2021 Medallion Year) or as they earn Medallion Status (like they normally would)."

For example, what if you selected miles for one Diamond benefit and upgrades for the other two. Do you get two new choices? Will those two new choices include miles? Or, will you get zero choices? This is as clear as mud.
They have previously said that PMs/DMs will get to select Choice Benefits again even if they don't requalify organically. That seems much more obvious and simple, so I am going to go with that previous announcement rather than a close literal parsing of the current news announcement (which I agree is badly worded in the way that you pointed out)
Zorak is offline  
Old Sep 22, 20, 4:40 pm
  #10  
Formerly known as fsa_ea
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Up in the Air
Programs: DL DM/2MM, AA EXP/2MM, UA GD/1MM, AS MVPG75k, LH SEN, IC RA, FRMT LT PLT, HYT GLOB, HLT DIA, HRTZ PC
Posts: 2,109
Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
They have previously said that PMs/DMs will get to select Choice Benefits again even if they don't requalify organically. That seems much more obvious and simple, so I am going to go with that previous announcement rather than a close literal parsing of the current news announcement (which I agree is badly worded in the way that you pointed out)
Delta does go out of their way to list every Choice benefit other than miles, so I don't think this is parsing. I suspect that they will simply not allow you to make duplicate selections for miles if you received a free extension of your status. Under normal circumstances, once I have "enough" upgrades to use, I usually use the remainder of my selection for miles. With all of the certificate extensions and not having not traveled for 6+ months, I am pretty sure I have "enough" upgrades for a while!
The Mileage Millionaire is offline  
Old Sep 22, 20, 5:13 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Ambassador
Posts: 7,386
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer View Post
Not surprised that they ended up doing this as I believe UA announced they were removing their award redeposit fee as well (I don’t believe AA had a redeposit fee). I’m surprised DL still hasn't gotten rid of the SDC/SDS $75 fee yet for FOs and non-status members as both AA and UA announced they would drop the fee along with change fees on domestic flights.
I believe AA allowed you to change an award booking for no fee but you did have to pay to redeposit the miles.


This is ultimately good news for most travelers though I wonder how it will impact availability for bookings if now everyone and not just PMs and DMs can book and hold and change mileage tickets. The question is is how many non-PMs/DMs (and those who were PM and DM before but dropped back to GM/FO/General Member) will "play" with bookings. I will say interestingly, this change removes one of the best reasons to reach for PM over GM.
EDIT: This is still good news for travelers but I do see, at least for now, it's limited to US domestic bookings, so there's still the benefit to getting PM if you use your miles for int'l award tickets.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Sep 22, 20 at 5:21 pm
ATOBTTR is offline  
Old Sep 22, 20, 5:29 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SFO/SJC, BWI
Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
Posts: 13,419
Originally Posted by The Mileage Millionaire View Post
Delta does go out of their way to list every Choice benefit other than miles, so I don't think this is parsing. I suspect that they will simply not allow you to make duplicate selections for miles if you received a free extension of your status. Under normal circumstances, once I have "enough" upgrades to use, I usually use the remainder of my selection for miles. With all of the certificate extensions and not having not traveled for 6+ months, I am pretty sure I have "enough" upgrades for a while!
You could be right, but I'm still chalking it up to bad copywriting (of which there are plenty of other examples, inconsistencies on the DL web site, etc.) -- we can come back in January/Feb and see who's right -- I'll bet you a Woodford mini
Zorak is offline  
Old Sep 22, 20, 6:17 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: SEA
Programs: DL GM, AS MVP, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Posts: 904
Sometime in 2022 or 2023: "DL adds $200 redeposit fee for domestic award tickets, does not permit changes 5 days before departure"
DiverDave, BenA, CO-PLAT and 1 others like this.
ab2013 is offline  
Old Sep 22, 20, 6:57 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: HNL
Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Posts: 6,687
Originally Posted by mot29 View Post
This is good, but what about award ticket changes for international tickets? For me that has been one of the better benefits of P&DM status.
+1

With no changes to redeposit/reissue fees for int'l flights it's largely an empty gesture (which is not surprising).
RealHJ is offline  
Old Sep 22, 20, 7:38 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Mexico City, MX
Programs: No airline/hotel status use, Chase UR, Amex MR, CapOne etc
Posts: 222
This is really fantastic news, being able to change award tickets for cheap was already a luxury, now being able to do it for free anytime allows for more flexible planning. I know ya'll make fun of "skypesos" but some of their deals to SE Asia and Europe from Mexico in J are actually quite competitive on partner flights if you're super flexible on dates. Its only for their own metal and domestic flights in the US that their redemptions suck. The China Airlines partner flight from LAX to TPE is truly a great biz class product, I love the "old train" feeling of the interior decor.

I wonder what effect this will have on availability/abuse, now that anyone can book an award to "reserve the spot" for a flight they may have little intention of taking and getting 100% of the points and money back no question asked. My prediction is this is going to lead to a lot more competition for flights way out like many months, and more last minute availability from people cancelling at the last second.

Look no further then ANA's program for this type of behavior. You have to basically book 12 months out the day the space opens, or 2-3 days before nothing in between, could be the fact ANA has never had change fees could have something to do with this.
Brendan likes this.
PointsPanda is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: