FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Is Delta Monitoring Flyertalk? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2025448-delta-monitoring-flyertalk.html)

GagaPilot Sep 19, 2020 2:19 pm

Is Delta Monitoring Flyertalk?

Just a thought: Does anyone know if DL still has any reps/agents/ambassadors viewing FT threads? It seems like one time they did, but that was a long time ago. Anyway, if they do, hopefully repeated frustrations with the onboard offerings will be noticed (though I know they absolutely have to be noticed already).

A few weeks ago I sent in a complaint about a recent upgrade and subsequent downgrade fiasco. On the same complaint form I wrote a lengthy paragraph related to the current onboard offerings and lack of inflight service. (I’ve been trying to mention it in every communication with DL such as email, surveys, Twitter, etc). Earlier this week I received a very thorough reply and apology about the UG issue and specific details of what went wrong. They tossed a heavy amount of miles my way and it satisfied that issue. But not one peep of an acknowledgement about the onboard services and lack there of.

cmd320 Sep 19, 2020 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by GagaPilot (Post 32687243)
Just a thought: Does anyone know if DL still has any reps/agents/ambassadors viewing FT threads? It seems like one time they did, but that was a long time ago. Anyway, if they do, hopefully repeated frustrations with the onboard offerings will be noticed (though I know they absolutely have to be noticed already).

A few weeks ago I sent in a complaint about a recent upgrade and subsequent downgrade fiasco. On the same complaint form I wrote a lengthy paragraph related to the current onboard offerings and lack of inflight service. (I’ve been trying to mention it in every communication with DL such as email, surveys, Twitter, etc). Earlier this week I received a very thorough reply and apology about the UG issue and specific details of what went wrong. They tossed a heavy amount of miles my way and it satisfied that issue. But not one peep of an acknowledgement about the onboard services and lack there of.

Some of the other programs do have reps on FT. Haven't seen a DL one though in a long time. My guess is if any are left, by 10/1 they'll be out the door.

fly747first Sep 19, 2020 2:32 pm

l

Originally Posted by GagaPilot (Post 32687243)

DL has a team of analysts responsible for reviewing comments on this forum and others; just because they don't make their presence known doesn't mean they aren't tracking our comments. However, I hit DL where it hurts them the most, i.e., depriving them of premium cabin revenue and giving it to AA and UA instead.

bubbashow Sep 19, 2020 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by fly747first (Post 32687264)
l

DL has a team of analysts responsible for reviewing comments on this forum and others; just because they don't make their presence known doesn't mean they aren't tracking our comments. However, I hit DL where it hurts them the most, i.e., depriving them of premium cabin revenue and giving it to AA and UA instead.

That's ludicrous. Delta has no such "team". Delta keeps their own analytics through their own surveys and put no weight in a fringe message board

Zorak Sep 19, 2020 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by bubbashow (Post 32687361)
That's ludicrous. Delta has no such "team". Delta keeps their own analytics through their own surveys and put no weight in a fringe message board

Dunno, I thought I remembered reading that they definitely have people lurking here. Maybe not so much to gauge sentiment and more to look for hints of fraud/shenanigans, but...

I do think it would be nice if DL had people like the Starwood-now-Marriott Lurkers on FT.

EDIT: I think Hilton also? WN occasionally gets posts from official accounts too. And there is a UA Insider but don't think they post that often (still, I don't recall ever seeing an official DL account posting in my 5 years on FT... maybe once?)

cmd320 Sep 19, 2020 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak (Post 32687401)
Maybe not so much to gauge sentiment and more to look for hints of fraud/shenanigans, but...

I would guess DL does this also. I know for sure that AA does/has in the past.

ab2013 Sep 19, 2020 5:00 pm

Exactly - a company that runs on DL's scale is going to be looking at analytics or aggregate data. I'm surprised that people are that passionate about this - just vote with your wallets if you still need to fly that much. It's just a business relationship and there's nothing personal about it.

FlyDeltaMD88 Sep 19, 2020 5:06 pm

Can confirm that Delta just looks at analytics through their own survey's and occasionally their official social media platforms, not message boards or other internet sources.

fly747first Sep 19, 2020 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by FlyEndeavorAir (Post 32687494)
Can confirm that Delta just looks at analytics through their own survey's and occasionally their official social media platforms, not message boards or other internet sources.

Sorry to disappoint, but even WN with far less resources than DL regularly reads posts on this forum... I know because my cousin has worked for both airlines and even shared jokes about the comments that were made during meetings about some posts. And no, I never said that DL exclusively looks at this forum; they would be crazy not to look at more important data such as that of Google nor is it the sole job description of a team of analysts to just look at message boards.

People seem to believe that because gate agents, flight attendants, or pilots aren't aware of specific departments at each airline's headquarters, somehow they magically disappear so that the DL apologists feel better.

FlyDeltaMD88 Sep 19, 2020 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by fly747first (Post 32687519)
Sorry to disappoint, but even WN with far less resources than DL regularly reads posts on this forum... I know because my cousin has worked for both airlines and even shared jokes about the comments that were made during meetings about some posts. And no, I never said that DL exclusively looks at this forum; they would be crazy not to look at more important data such as that of Google nor is it the sole job description of a team of analysts to just look at message boards.

People seem to believe that because gate agents, flight attendants, or pilots aren't aware of specific departments at each airline's headquarters, somehow they magically disappear so that the DL apologists feel better.

They might (and do) in an unofficial capacity look at forums but they don't use it in their analytics or official uses.

cmd320 Sep 19, 2020 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by FlyEndeavorAir (Post 32687640)
They might (and do) in an unofficial capacity look at forums but they don't use it in their analytics or official uses.

I could be wrong, but I bet if someone on here were bragging about a blatant violation of the CoC or Skymiles terms and conditions they’d probably get to the bottom of it.

fly747first Sep 19, 2020 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by FlyEndeavorAir (Post 32687640)

Respectfully, you previously stated that this wasn't done and now you are backtracking...

The bottom line is that DL, just like several of its competitors, do look at this forum and from time to time they do discuss and make decisions taking inputs from their own data as well as outside data (again, from multiple sources). Probably the most extreme example of this was when Emirates got fed up of bloggers mocking them and writing how easy it was to book EK F with AS miles and overnight EK made AS drastically increase F award mileage for flights operated by EK; same for Marriott firing several staff responsible for the Bonvoy fiasco well before Covid when even their most loyal elites outright ridiculed the new program.

bubbashow Sep 20, 2020 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by fly747first (Post 32687519)

in what way does WN have less resources than Delta?

people sure do like to believe their opinion is A LOT more important to a multi billion dollar corporation than it is. I can tell you DEFINITIVELY with 100% certainty there is no "Flyertalk Team" at Delta. The site is considered fringe opinion.

fly747first Sep 20, 2020 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by bubbashow (Post 32689072)
in what way does WN have less resources than Delta?

people sure do like to believe their opinion is A LOT more important to a multi billion dollar corporation than it is. I can tell you DEFINITIVELY with 100% certainty there is no "Flyertalk Team" at Delta. The site is considered fringe opinion.

WN has always been more cost-conscious than DL, not attacking DL for this since the latter is a true network carrier. DL's analytics teams are a lot bigger than those of WN... same for other critical departments such as marketing, network planning, and revenue management.

I'm a pretty objective person and I was simply stating facts. Whether DL values my opinion or not, to be quite blunt, is of no consequence to me. I'm responsible for my company's travel budget and when our DL account manager comes begging us for business, I will simply present to her all the bookings that went to AA, B6, and UA due to DL's cavalier attitude towards inflight service and politely explain why we are avoiding DL like the plague. The number one rule in economics is that consumers are rational beings looking to maximize their purchasing power so we have no reason to book domestic Delta One when AA, B6, and UA (on 781) are charging less whilst providing much better service.

allseas1586 Sep 20, 2020 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by fly747first (Post 32689128)
WN has always been more cost-conscious than DL, not attacking DL for this since the latter is a true network carrier. DL's analytics teams are a lot bigger than those of WN... same for other critical departments such as marketing, network planning, and revenue management.

I'm a pretty objective person and I was simply stating facts. Whether DL values my opinion or not, to be quite blunt, is of no consequence to me. I'm responsible for my company's travel budget and when our DL account manager comes begging us for business, I will simply present to her all the bookings that went to AA, B6, and UA due to DL's cavalier attitude towards inflight service and politely explain why we are avoiding DL like the plague. The number one rule in economics is that consumers are rational beings looking to maximize their purchasing power so we have no reason to book domestic Delta One when AA, B6, and UA (on 781) are charging less whilst providing much better service.

I’ve been flying UA a lot more lately due to price, but every time someone sits down next to me on United I’m reminded why I keep going back to DL. I really like having the empty adjacent seat next to me. Just no winning these days.