Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

I need to have the (physical) credit card used to buy the ticket to board?

Old Sep 17, 20, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Trying to buy LED-MSY, and the Delta website says I need to have the physical credit card used for the purchase to board the flight!

So if I happen to lose the physical card, I'm stuck, and have to wait until the issuer sends me a replacement?

I've never had this type of treatment before. I don't see how in the world someone could buy a ticket in my name and present my passport to use it, unless this crook had somehow gotten hold of a fake passport in my name - and in which case, there would be a lot more at stake than someone stealing a $300 ticket!

Delta claims that the credit card issuer is requiring this (I'd bet THAT's a lie)!
Old Sep 17, 20, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swampwiz View Post
Trying to buy LED-MSY, and the Delta website says I need to have the physical credit card used for the purchase to board the flight! .............
Pretty standard from high credit card fraud airports. You are normally exempt if you are elite in Skymiles or purchase via third party (OTA).
wrldwide1 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 20, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not sure why you think it's a lie, when it is not only the truth but hardly secret and is a long-standing practice.

DL's merchant acquirer, just like most, employs anti-fraud software which flags some transactions as sufficiently suspicious as warranting the presentation of the physical card. While there is no way to know exactly what triggered your situation (could have been entering the wrong CVV or expiration date or transposing digits in the card number. Could also be that you purchased a one-way ticket or are originating from a high-fraud location (which LED most certainly is). Not worth trying to figure out why and it could be any number of other reasons as well.

If your card is stolen, there are alternative means and you should contact DL immediately so as to not cause even lengthier delays at LED on departure.

To be precise, the merchant acquirer does not require it, but will not cover DL's loss if the card turns out to be fraudulently used. If consumers want anti-fraud protection through the chargeback process, it is fair for vendors to protect themselves.
Old Sep 17, 20, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Plat, Hyatt Glob, involuntary FT beta tester
As others have noted, not unusual depending on the circumstances, airport(s) involved, etc.

Previous DL threads:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...d+verification

Dropping "Delta" from the search terms shows this happens on many airlines:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...d+verification

From one of the threads, buying through an OTA may be a way to avoid the check.
Old Sep 17, 20, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Not sure why you think it's a lie, when it is not only the truth but hardly secret and is a long-standing practice.

DL's merchant acquirer, just like most, employs anti-fraud software which flags some transactions as sufficiently suspicious as warranting the presentation of the physical card. While there is no way to know exactly what triggered your situation (could have been entering the wrong CVV or expiration date or transposing digits in the card number. Could also be that you purchased a one-way ticket or are originating from a high-fraud location (which LED most certainly is). Not worth trying to figure out why and it could be any number of other reasons as well.

If your card is stolen, there are alternative means and you should contact DL immediately so as to not cause even lengthier delays at LED on departure.

To be precise, the merchant acquirer does not require it, but will not cover DL's loss if the card turns out to be fraudulently used. If consumers want anti-fraud protection through the chargeback process, it is fair for vendors to protect themselves.
Yes, I am purchasing a 1-way ticket since I don't when Russia will open the border again (i.e., because of COVID).

What are the "alternative means"? It seems that the only way someone would be able to use my ticket would be to have a USA passport in my name.
Old Sep 17, 20, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
From one of the threads, buying through an OTA may be a way to avoid the check.
I have no idea what an "OTA" means. Does that mean a vendor like Orbitz? I went to Kayak, and it sent me to the Delta website.
Old Sep 17, 20, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Plat, Hyatt Glob, involuntary FT beta tester
I have no idea what an "OTA" means. Does that mean a vendor like Orbitz? I went to Kayak, and it sent me to the Delta website.
Online Travel Agency, yes. I don't generally use them but does Kayak usually do its own bookings or is it more like Google Flights where it finds search results but still directs you elsewhere to book? Orbitz/Expedia/Priceline might be other ones to try instead.
Old Sep 17, 20, 4:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Using one of the third-party vendors which call themselves OTA's works to the extent that the OTA is not as diligent as DL. In other words, the OTA accepts the fraud risk which DL will not (and should not). All of the hassles with OTA's are a heck of a lot worse than the extraordinarily remote chance that OP loses the card. Just take care of it and it won't happen.

If it does, as I said, call DL. There are alternatives. What they might be in LED I have no idea. But, it's not something DL will discuss with you until and unless it occurs.
Old Sep 17, 20, 4:59 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, DL MM, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
What are the "alternative means"? It seems that the only way someone would be able to use my ticket would be to have a USA passport in my name.
If you cannot prove you have possession of the card used for the purchase (eg: you lost the card), DL should refund the cost of the ticket to the original card and allow you to present a new card to repurchase the ticket. In theory this could happen at the airport, however at an outstation like LED I probably wouldn't want to rely on the non-DL agent processing this correctly or at all.

This isn't about someone else using your ticket, it's about you using someone else's credit card. (Not saying that's what you did, just that's what the fraud detection algorithms are worried about.)
writerguyfl, hhdl and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Sep 17, 20, 5:27 pm

You have never had this kind of treatment before and that makes it wrong? After all you would probably be whining even louder if Delta let someone use your credit card to buy their ticket.
Old Sep 17, 20, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

UPDATE

I got the problem with my address squared away, and then was able to successfully purchase the ticket, and I asked the agent about whether I needed the card for check-in, and she said no. Hmm ...

Also, if it matters, technically it is a debit card that has CC purchase ability. That is probably the difference.
Old Sep 17, 20, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
Online Travel Agency, yes. I don't generally use them but does Kayak usually do its own bookings or is it more like Google Flights where it finds search results but still directs you elsewhere to book? Orbitz/Expedia/Priceline might be other ones to try instead.
Kayak seems to search all the OTAs and airline sites for the best deal. A few years ago, their site would pop up different browser windows for all the OTAs, but this time it seemed to lead me to the Delta site. Delta's price seemed to be cheaper than Orbitz - Orbitz had the same price for a similar flight, one that arrives a few hours later.
Old Sep 17, 20, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter View Post
You have never had this kind of treatment before and that makes it wrong? After all you would probably be whining even louder if Delta let someone use your credit card to buy their ticket.
If Delta let someone use it, that would mean that the thief would have a fake passport with his picture, but registered to me; I think that HomeSec & DepState would be much more interested in the case.

Last edited by swampwiz; Sep 17, 20 at 6:38 pm
Old Sep 17, 20, 6:17 pm

Programs: Delta FO, TK Elite, Star Alliance Gold

I've never had this type of treatment before.
Pretty standard for TK, and sometimes QR
Old Sep 17, 20, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
If Delta let someone use it, that would mean that the thief would have a fake passport with his picture, but registered to me; I think that HomeSec & DepState would be much more interested in the case.
That is true if the CC and the Ticket were both in your name. But think about someone stealing your CC information, and using it to purchase a ticket in their own name. Or purchasing a ticket in your name, and then trying to change the name on the ticket later.

Should the system see the matching name? Sure. Is Delta unwilling to risk it? Apparently. I never knew this was the case before your thread, so while it probably doesn't give you any solace, it was educational to some of us.

Search this Thread