Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

I need to have the (physical) credit card used to buy the ticket to board?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I need to have the (physical) credit card used to buy the ticket to board?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2020, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by swampwiz
It appears that the LED-AMS leg is KLM.
Regardless, checkin will not be with DL. DL can only restrict checkin when they're the one checking you in. This won't be the case at LED. I get this message all the time when booking OW JNB-US. However don't get asked for card as checkin is with KLM.

BTW, you keep going on about the ticket not being able to be used by anyone else. There are others with same name most likely. Also you can purchase a ticket for anyone. The credit processing system has no clue what you're purchasing, muchless that it's a service with your name tied to it.

Originally Posted by MTCman379
This is an anti-fraud measure designed to prevent someone from booking a flight using your card. It's not to prevent transfer of your ticket. There are several measures that can trigger this check. I'm not sure what the phone agents told you, but you should operate under the assumption that you will have to show the card at check in.
As OP is checking in with OAL this won't be an issue. The showing of card block only comes up when checking in with the airline that placed the block.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by No_Name
Given the volume of customers that the airlines have served, I'm convinced they must have seen a wide cross-section of scams, human mistakes, and system failures. They probably have implemented a process that has a high false positive rate to take some action on tickets that may have issues. The consequence of a false positive in ticketing (e.g. ask the customer to show the credit card) is generally less than a false negative (e.g. lose revenue). By notifying you of the credit card requirement beforehand, they are reducing the probability of the false positive causing you to miss your flight because you didn't have the credit card with you.

In the words of Henry Jones, Sr: "Let it go Indiana."
Airline will also allow you to rebook at same price using another card if you don't present it at some point.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by swampwiz
I did speak to someone deep in the billing department, and was told that there wasn't an address match. What complicates this situation is that this is the card tied to a CU account of a relative, but the card is issued in my name (so it's "my" card). I had used it a few times with MY address and not the account address of my relative - without issue - so I had presumed it had been set up that way. It would have been nice had DL told me from the beginning that there was an issue from the credit card issuer, and therefore I would need to physically show the card. I just hope that the last time I had spoken to the ticketing agent who sold me the ticket had accurately answered the question about whether I needed the physical card. I think I am going to E-mail the DL executives to clarify this.
Address verification isn't always used by all merchants/banks. When it is the varying degree to which it must match various considerably. Ie sometime just zip code, sometimes just city or even state, others just the digits in street addresss and some the whole address.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Address verification isn't always used by all merchants/banks. When it is the varying degree to which it must match various considerably. Ie sometime just zip code, sometimes just city or even state, others just the digits in street addresss and some the whole address.
In this case, OP says that he used the wrong address. The reason is not relevant. It simply was not the account address and while nobody here is accusing OP of fraud, it is an indication of fraud. Add to that the fact that it's a one-way on another carrier departing a high-fraud location and you get what you get
Old Sep 22, 2020, 1:26 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TerryK
Pretty standard from high credit card fraud airports. You are normally exempt if you are elite in Skymiles or purchase via third party (OTA).
When this exemption began? I have been an Elite for 13 years, flying from high credit card fraud airports, using foreign cards, or randomly selected when traveling from Europe and being FO,GM, OR PM has never exempted me from not presenting the card.

If I have more than one itinerary already booked, check-in agents verify the information and update all of them at once. But a phone agent or a twitter agent has never been able to remove the inhibitor.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 3:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Often1
In this case, OP says that he used the wrong address. The reason is not relevant. It simply was not the account address and while nobody here is accusing OP of fraud, it is an indication of fraud. Add to that the fact that it's a one-way on another carrier departing a high-fraud location and you get what you get
AFAICT OP seems to be the equivalent of an authorized user on a relative's debit card account. This seems to be the root of the address mis-match.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SDQBound
When this exemption began? I have been an Elite for 13 years, flying from high credit card fraud airports, using foreign cards, or randomly selected when traveling from Europe and being FO,GM, OR PM has never exempted me from not presenting the card.

If I have more than one itinerary already booked, check-in agents verify the information and update all of them at once. But a phone agent or a twitter agent has never been able to remove the inhibitor.
As a DM I know I haven't been.

OTA are "exempt" as the airline isn't the one collecting the money, the OTA is. If there's fraud the OTA is the one that takes the ding, not the airline.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Often1
I was simply pointing out why OP had been able to make other purchases despite wrong address.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Regardless, checkin will not be with DL. DL can only restrict checkin when they're the one checking you in. This won't be the case at LED. I get this message all the time when booking OW JNB-US. However don't get asked for card as checkin is with KLM.

BTW, you keep going on about the ticket not being able to be used by anyone else. There are others with same name most likely. Also you can purchase a ticket for anyone. The credit processing system has no clue what you're purchasing, muchless that it's a service with your name tied to it.

As OP is checking in with OAL this won't be an issue. The showing of card block only comes up when checking in with the airline that placed the block.
Can't Delta put the "block" in so it's visible by KLM?
Old Sep 23, 2020, 9:00 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Slightly off topic, but when I used to buy tickets online for my daughter on AA it wouldn't accept my credit card since the name on the credit card did not match the traveler. Simply changing the name on the CC did the trick at the time, not withstanding the fact that then the wrong name was used for the CC. It always worked.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by OHDL1
Can't Delta put the "block" in so it's visible by KLM?
No. The block is placed in the airline that placed it systems. Only time I can see KLM seeing it is possible with DL DL operated flights ex-AMS. I know for a fact they don't see it otherwise. (I book OW ex-JNB and ex-NBO frequently on KLM metal via DL. DL always tells me I need to show my card, but as checkin is with KLM it's not required. If OTOH I booked DL ex-JNB (didn't do this often as I preferred KLM and timing wise it's not much different) than I did have to show it as I was checking in with DL.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by drminn
Slightly off topic, but when I used to buy tickets online for my daughter on AA it wouldn't accept my credit card since the name on the credit card did not match the traveler. Simply changing the name on the CC did the trick at the time, not withstanding the fact that then the wrong name was used for the CC. It always worked.
Just like I stated about address above, same holds true for name. Most systems don't actually use it, or if they do, a correct first or last name alone can be enough. It's very rare to require an exact match.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.