Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

I Haven't Flown Since April 2019, Anything New?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2020, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.

I have a medical condition that abruptly stopped me from flying in April 2019. I may be able to start flying again in 2021. Has anything changed since April 2019 (with Delta) that I should be aware of?
Old Sep 15, 2020, 11:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Mostly lots and lots of COVID-19 changes, but also some rearrangements of upgrade timing and priority, especially for companions of elites, different fare classes for domestic FC, and constant changes to which (domestic) routes have D1 service.

If you're doing PIT-MSP-PIT, rinse and repeat: MSP has re-done some of their F&B offerings again (Ikes is gone) and there's serious road construction near the airport, so allow lots of time (one hour extra has been suggested at all hours for approximately the next year) unless you're using the light rail line. Most MSP airport hotels have suspended their shuttle service and a few are being used to house homeless people. The MSP C SC is closed and there have been further renovations to the F/G lounge.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 12:06 pm
Formerly known as scootr29

I would wait until 2022 or drive.
SJC ORD LDR likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 2:52 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
PIT to MSP or vv would be a tough two-day drive in each direction and not recommended in winter.
In2ishn, olegator, cmd320 and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 3:57 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Change fees were recently eliminated for "tickets purchased for travel within the domestic U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands in Delta’s First Class, domestic Delta One, Delta Premium Select, Delta Comfort+ and Main Cabin, with the exception of Basic Economy tickets."

See: https://news.delta.com/delta-elimina...lity-customers
Old Sep 15, 2020, 4:45 pm

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Random Thoughts since i began traveling 4 weeks ago weekly which is 100% back to my pre covid schedule
-Airports aren't as dead as I expected. they are slower, but not ghost towns. Airports visited so far LGA, LAX, CVG, MCO, FLL, SFO, DTW, DFW
-Skylciubs are pre packaged foods and hit or miss bar service. Those have been pretty dead when I have visited.
-On board service is really different: I have been upgraded on 100% of legs. No PDB, limited food service on long west coast flights, beer and wine only, no ice etc. Im fine with all of this, but it is a different experience.
-FC is interesting in that you don't have a seat mate unless they are traveling with you. While i know that can't last and Delta must be losing $ as a result, i do kind of like that
-they try and stop the mass herd exodus to deplane when you land by asking you not to get up and stand until the row in front of you is on their way out. Some comply, most don't.
-Of course, masks are required at all times unless taking a drink
-FAs have been really friendly as always.

Thats all that comes to mind right now.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Ryno1234
Random Thoughts since i began traveling 4 weeks ago weekly which is 100% back to my pre covid schedule
-Airports aren't as dead as I expected. they are slower, but not ghost towns. Airports visited so far LGA, LAX, CVG, MCO, FLL, SFO, DTW, DFW
-Skylciubs are pre packaged foods and hit or miss bar service. Those have been pretty dead when I have visited.
-On board service is really different: I have been upgraded on 100% of legs. No PDB, limited food service on long west coast flights, beer and wine only, no ice etc. Im fine with all of this, but it is a different experience.
-FC is interesting in that you don't have a seat mate unless they are traveling with you. While i know that can't last and Delta must be losing $ as a result, i do kind of like that
-they try and stop the mass herd exodus to deplane when you land by asking you not to get up and stand until the row in front of you is on their way out. Some comply, most don't.

Add temperature checks pre-security at some airports and some states hit you for documentation upon landing re quarantine or exemptions.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 5:53 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by RRDD
I have a medical condition that abruptly stopped me from flying in April 2019. I may be able to start flying again in 2021. Has anything changed since April 2019 (with Delta) that I should be aware of?
Yes, don't bother asking for a can of soda or coffee tea or me
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 11:32 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Food is basically non-existent on planes and about 95% non-existent in airports. This is one of the more surprising things to me (mainly surprising that the airnes don't warn people of this reality so they can plan ahead). Due to a variety of convoluted family and work circumstances related to Covid, I'm actually flying A LOT more these days. I was basically a rookie and am now a regular. There is NO food on Delta other than a tiny bag of Cheez-its and a cookie.... on a 6-hour flight!! No problem, you just get food at the airport, right? Not really. Although there does seem to be a general increase of things being open at airports, some have nothing other than a vending machine. Best advice is to pack your own. Granted, it's tough for a full day of flying but it is what it is.

Oh yeah... and alcohol on planes? Nope...... airports? Limited due to many/most places being closed. Again, it depends on the airport. All I can say on the matter is that TSA lets you take as many "airline bottles" through security as you like. Plan accordingly.... but, of course, remember it's against FAA guidelines to consume your own alcohol during a flight.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 11:56 pm

In most places in the USA, you're not allowed to consume your own alcohol (or alcohol purchased airside but outside of the establishment) on airport property.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Most notable differences on DL currently:
  1. Masks on for the duration of the flight
  2. Virtually no food/beverage
    • on domestic flights (including premium transcons) greater than 500mi, F receives a choice of beer (two types usually), wine (red or white), or water, also on longer flights there is a Y class BOB snack box offered in F
    • F under 500mi and all Y, you get the 'sad bag' which consists of: 1 mini Dasani, 1 mini pack of Cheez-Its, 1 Biscoff (or some other small snack), and 1 single use Purell packet
    • PDBs in F are long gone
  3. Adjacent seats in F are blocked (for the moment), also middle seats in Y are blocked (or adjacent if on an aircraft with 2x2/2x3 seating).
  4. The schedule, while getting better, can still be annoying to deal with depending on where you're headed
  5. No more MD-88s/-90s
  6. SkyClubs offer mostly a full bar, however in terms of food it's pretty dismal cold/pre-packaged stuff, also no showers at the moment
  7. Change fees are gone, so feel free to play musical flights
Old Sep 16, 2020, 12:19 pm

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by RRDD
Is this a joke?
Old Sep 16, 2020, 12:46 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by orlandodlplat
Is this a joke?
This was my thought as well.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
Yes, don't bother asking for a can of soda or coffee tea or me
Are you famous?
charlesdemar likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by Ryno1234

Just curious what you do that you're travelling again. No one in my company is travelling yet and everything is virtual (sell to retailers at the corporate level). Not sure when or if it will resume. Last got off a plane on 3-13-20 and ben enjoying the at home time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.