Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Rules for connecting in JFK (Covid-19) final destination RDU

Old Sep 14, 20, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Not sure where to post this. Mods please move.

My husband is traveling tomorrow RDU-ATL-LAX then back on 9/20 LAX-JFK-RDU. He received an email from Delta about some required info for pax traveling through JFK. But he's confused whether that applies to him, since his final destination is RDU not JFK. I encouraged him today to call Delta but it looks like he has yet to do so. Will Delta let him board his return flight if he doesn't fill out any forms? Can he do this any time before he comes back?

*I don't know what info Delta has shared with him. It seems to be something about Covid-19 (obviously). But I don't know how involved the paperwork is.
Old Sep 14, 20, 2:26 pm

Programs: DM/2MM
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Not sure where to post this. Mods please move.

My husband is traveling tomorrow RDU-ATL-LAX then back on 9/20 LAX-JFK-RDU. He received an email from Delta about some required info for pax traveling through JFK. But he's confused whether that applies to him, since his final destination is RDU not JFK. I encouraged him today to call Delta but it looks like he has yet to do so. Will Delta let him board his return flight if he doesn't fill out any forms? Can he do this any time before he comes back?

*I don't know what info Delta has shared with him. It seems to be something about Covid-19 (obviously). But I don't know how involved the paperwork is.
I could be incorrect but it’s my understanding that New York’s quarantine/reporting requirements do not apply to connecting passengers, but to those whose final destination is New York. Also AFAIK, DL doesn’t do any departing domestic passenger checks.

Last edited by TrojanTraveler; Sep 14, 20 at 2:39 pm
Old Sep 14, 20, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler View Post
I could be incorrect but it’s my understanding that New York’s quarantine/reporting requirements do not apply to connecting passengers, but to those whose final destination is New York. Also AFAIK, DL doesn’t do any departing domestic passenger checks.
Thanks for that reply. I was worried he might never make it home!
Old Sep 14, 20, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Shouldn't have any problem connecting. The quarantine rules are strictly for those actually entering NY.
Old Sep 14, 20, 5:09 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
It relates to the NY quarantine and CA is one of the “high-risk” states. He still needs to fill out the form (he can do it online) as they may check it on arrival at JFK. The website is at traveler.health.ny.gov

One of the questions on the form is “is your final destination in NY state?” If the answer is no, it jumps straight to the end of the form and he should get a green indicator on the online form. He should just take a photo of that confirmation and show that confirmation to the checkers at the gate on arrival at JFK.
MSPeconomist and Hepsaint like this.
Old Sep 14, 20, 5:31 pm

Flew ATL-JFK-ATL on Saturday to deliver a "package". There were folks at the JFK gate handing out the forms, barely tried to corral people; could have walked away if you wanted to. One guy said "what if I'm just connecting?". Other guy said "no need if you're just connecting".
Old Sep 14, 20, 5:36 pm

I flew to BUF last week. They hound you after exiting security not at the gate upon arrival. I just ignored them.
Old Sep 14, 20, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

This is just great. He's going to make it home and I'll have to pick him up because he refuses to get a taxi. (We live 10 min from the airport.) Then I have to drive him around looking for dinner. Fantastic! Thanks a lot!

Bradhattan and HDQDD like this.
Old Sep 14, 20, 6:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This is just great. He's going to make it home and I'll have to pick him up because he refuses to get a taxi. (We live 10 min from the airport.) Then I have to drive him around looking for dinner. Fantastic! Thanks a lot!

You could tell him that he's required to spend fourteen days in quarantine when he goes through JFK. That would at least postpone your airport car duties for two weeks, but it might be better to just insist on going to a really good place for food on the way home, with him paying of course.
Zorak, cmd320 and GagaPilot like this.
Old Sep 14, 20, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
You could tell him that he's required to spend fourteen days in quarantine when he goes through JFK. That would at least postpone your airport car duties for two weeks, but it might be better to just insist on going to a really good place for food on the way home, with him paying of course.
He says he wants to "pre-order" his food. Meaning I get to go pick it up and he microwaves it at home. Probably Nepali food. I offered him sushi from the Thai restaurant (actually pretty good).
Old Sep 14, 20, 10:12 pm

He says he wants to "pre-order" his food. Meaning I get to go pick it up and he microwaves it at home. Probably Nepali food. I offered him sushi from the Thai restaurant (actually pretty good).
Ahh, brings me back to the day when one could pre-order their food in F on DL or AA...
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 15, 20, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
Ahh, brings me back to the day when one could pre-order their food in F on DL or AA...
Does Delta still have buy on board in economy?
Old Sep 15, 20, 7:55 am

Does Delta still have buy on board in economy?
Nope. Only the baggie of water and a snack or two.
Old Sep 15, 20, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
Nope. Only the baggie of water and a snack or two.
Bag of water?
GrayAnderson likes this.
Old Sep 15, 20, 8:13 am

Bag of water?
Hahaha, as funny as that would be, and not really surprising for DL at this point, no. It's a baggie that contains a bottle of mini-Dasani and a mini snack bag of cheez-its and usually something else. Similar to this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: