Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to raise $9 billion backed by SkyMiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to raise $9 billion backed by SkyMiles

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2020, 3:51 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
- average tenure of member: 16 years
- Medallion members provide 1.5x revenue premium compared to regular members
Thanks for the link, this is super interesting. Note slide 17 says the average tenure of Medallion members is 16 years. The 1.5x revenue premium might help with the endless discussions here about whether Medallion members are really HVC (vs those who just buy premium outright, or those who have no status and pay more fees), and whether DL will continue to seek to retain them. The answer to both questions is a resounding yes.

Another interesting tidbit is on page 18, where there has been a ~45% increase in Medallion Net Promoter Score from 2016 through 2019. Net Promoter Score (basically "would you recommend this business to a friend?") is one of the few metrics that seems to correlate with financial performance, so this is meaningful. It also answers the question as to whether Medallions were put off by all the negative changes to the program over the last several years (not counting the exception of 2020), and the answer to that is clearly no.

Here's one more: 79% of SkyMiles members have an annual income of >$50k. These are people who (in the aggregate, and at least occasionally) can spend on "premium" features.

In summary, I think this document points out that DL has been pretty successful at executing its strategy of designating itself a premium program over the past several years, and cutting the unsustainable (some would say generous) aspects of the program. It'll be interesting to see what happens next...

Originally Posted by hhdl
"Partners" for redemption means non-airlines, so it's 97% of redemptions on DL/AF/etc. EDIT: though I see on a later slide, the 97% refers to "on DL", which I guess would mean DL-coded award tickets regardless of metal and that likely somewhat less than 0.5% of redemption value was on non-DL-coded flights.
Slide 12 says 3% on non-air travel, with 97% shared between DL and partners.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by kop84
Every non-state owned airline is in survival mode
Unless you’re a cargo airline of course. Atlas Air, Air Transport International (ATI), Kalitta, UPS, and FedEx just you name a few in the U.S. Atlas and ATI also have smaller passenger charter operations.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 6:33 pm

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by bennos
Here's one more: 79% of SkyMiles members have an annual income of >$50k. These are people who (in the aggregate, and at least occasionally) can spend on "premium" features.
Depending on where you live, 50k is almost poverty level. I think I saw average rent for a one bedroom apartment in SF or Manhattan is 2500/month. That would be 30k just in rent.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by EAJuggalo
Depending on where you live, 50k is almost poverty level. I think I saw average rent for a one bedroom apartment in SF or Manhattan is 2500/month. That would be 30k just in rent.
Maybe it's my inner Statistics major talking, but it would be interesting to see this breakdown by Medallion level. With income adjusted for cost of living per city.

Also, does anyone know if Delta has an annual income number on all of us? Do they count young children as having 0 income, or are they excluded? It wouldn't surprise me if they can infer our income, at least categorically.

I think this has been alluded to in other threads, but attracting premium pax to the FF program is different than actually getting them to fly. Putting capacity and the right prices on destinations where people want will be a tricky endeavor during this COVID-19 situation.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 7:42 am

Programs: DL DM; HH gold
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
Maybe it's my inner Statistics major talking, but it would be interesting to see this breakdown by Medallion level. With income adjusted for cost of living per city.

Also, does anyone know if Delta has an annual income number on all of us? Do they count young children as having 0 income, or are they excluded? It wouldn't surprise me if they can infer our income, at least categorically.

I think this has been alluded to in other threads, but attracting premium pax to the FF program is different than actually getting them to fly. Putting capacity and the right prices on destinations where people want will be a tricky endeavor during this COVID-19 situation.
A few years ago when DL launched a new website design, there was a way to see a bunch of flags about yourself set on the DL website, including an estimated home value and income, and a customer value score. These flags have since been hidden, but they for sure still exist internally at DL. There was a whole thread about it: Delta and new DL.com Profiles A Lot About You

Last edited by woodenshoe101; Sep 15, 2020 at 7:44 am Reason: grammar
Old Sep 15, 2020, 9:18 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
No landlord will rent a $2500/mo apartment (which is actually low for a good 1BR in Manhattan) to someone making $50k/yr. They'll either commute in or split an apartment with one or more roommates (and therefore pay more like $1k/month), or daddy will pay for it. On top of that, only 8% of SM members come from NYC (which of course includes more than Manhattan), and SFO doesn't even get broken out in the stats (probably because it's not a hub).

Further complicating things, the DL analysis appears to be based on income per person (though I can't find it explicitly stated), whereas US median income tends to be reported on a household basis. The US numbers are also skewed by increased income disparity. Regardless of how you look at it, though, SM members skew wealthy (45% have income of $100k+) which puts DL in a good position to sell premium (once the market returns).

Looking again at the numbers, there's yet another interesting stat... Combined, JFK and LAX represent 13% (1 in 8) of SM members. The "traditional" hubs of ATL, DTW, MSP, and SLC combined represent 15%. (BOS and SEA are another 4%.) Notwithstanding the increased competition at JFK and LAX, it seems pretty obvious that DL will continue to prioritize developing those (larger population) markets.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 3:37 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by hhdl
The Amex stats on slide 8 are interesting:

* 8% of Amex billings are SkyMiles cards
* 22% of loans are SkyMiles cards

Presumably the 22% is percent of credit card spend+interest and 8% is percent of credit+charge (including corporate) card spend (implying that charge/corporate card spend is a little less than twice credit card spend+interest.
I'd be curious to know how these figures compare to the same metric for AMEX's other co-brand partner families.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Skymiles IP Ltd, based in Cayman Island? Really?!.

Jiburi
Old Sep 15, 2020, 4:01 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
In Manhattan, the average for a 1BR is more like $3200, and that is heavily weighed down by rent stabilized apartments that are not/will not be available to anyone seeking housing today, as well as by apartments that do turn over but in neighborhoods where almost no one would choose to live. The average rent for a 1BR that you can actually get in a neighborhood you would actually want to live in would shock you.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 7:58 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
OT, but I think pre-covid rent is actually higher than that in SF/NYC. Keyword there is "pre-covid". With the mass exodus of people out of cities (at least temporarily) that's going to change. In addition, there are all the stayed evictions that are pending.

On the other side of the coin, home builder confidence is at an all time high. They can't build houses in the 'burbs fast enough. We have this huge pending wave of evictions, but were still building all gangbusters... Seems like I've seen this movie before...
Old Sep 17, 2020, 8:17 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Title needs to be changed to $9 billion. DL is really piling on the debt...

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/17/delt...9-billion.html
Old Sep 17, 2020, 10:04 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco

Saw that as well this morning on Reuters. Article right next to it was airline execs pleading with Congress for more money, but looks like Delta was absent from the article. Only seemed to mention AA and Southwest.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco

Apparently they upsized the deal due to strong demand...the 5 year bond offering was originally $2B at 5% and is now at $2.5B and 4.5%, while the 8 year bond offer went from $2B and 5.375% to $3.5B at 4.75%. The term loan facility was increased from $2.5B to $3B.

According to this article, as of yesterday, investors had placed orders for $16B for the two bonds and $10B for the term loan facility; this led to Delta’s decision to increase the size of the offering. Some of the funds will be used to repay existing loans.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/delta...133717688.html
Old Sep 17, 2020, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Smithwicks70
Saw that as well this morning on Reuters. Article right next to it was airline execs pleading with Congress for more money, but looks like Delta was absent from the article. Only seemed to mention AA and Southwest.
Oh trust me, DL will ask the government for more help too
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by fly747first
Oh trust me, DL will ask the government for more help too
Haha, indeed. Ed was standing right there between Tweedledee and Tweedledum (Kirby and Parker) asking for a bailout.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.