No new routes?

Old Sep 10, 20, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
No new routes?

There is a monumental shift from business to leisure travel happening in the United States. Today, JetBlue announced two dozen new routes on top of the 30 new routes announced in June and 6 new routes in July. American announced 23 new routes last week, the same day Southwest added new routes from new stations in Florida, Colorado and California. Yesterday United unveiled plans for seven new long haul international routes on top of the 12 new Florida routes added in August. Alaska just added three new ski routes and in July added 12 new routes from LAX.

The last new route press release in Delta News Hub is from January 17th. As far as I can tell, the only new route added since March is 2x daily SEA-ONT. I find it remarkable one of the world's largest airlines cannot find any new routes worth trying during such a dramatic shift in travel patterns with aircraft and crews sitting idle. I recognize the drop in overall demand for air travel but is Delta being too conservative?
Old Sep 10, 20, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.1MM, EK Gold, SQ Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
I believe Cape Town is a sizable new DL route.
Old Sep 10, 20, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by DLATL777 View Post
I believe Cape Town is a sizable new DL route.
Good point, that's two routes added since March. Any others I'm missing?
Old Sep 10, 20, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL DM& 1MM; Marriott Platinum; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DLASflyer View Post
is Delta being too conservative?
DL is absolutely in "cash preservation" mode. Don't think they announced any new routes in their latest plans: https://news.delta.com/delta-brings-...nd-summer-2021
ab2013 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 20, 2:45 pm

DL has little interest in competing for the bottom feeders who patronize Spirit, especially since the BE product offering no longer has the previous restrictions. DL is at its core a top-tier business-focused airline.
DL747400 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 20, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL DM(segs)/MM, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
I recognize the drop in overall demand for air travel but is Delta being too conservative?
My $.02: Maybe DL isn't interested in the p2p leisure market at the moment. Since DL is only flying ~67% full those likely won't be money making flights. Perhaps their play is to stick to the hub flying and funnel both leisure and bidnezz travel through there to get the highest (new normal) yield possible.

Right now, I'm traveling 1-2 trips per month, and I won't fly anyone but DL, despite the fact that DL seems to be more expensive on every itin I've priced. I'm happy to pay a bit more to have more space. Who knows...the reality is, it might not even matter, but I do get some peace of mind by being on a less full airplane. And admittedly, the upgrade clearance ratio is quite high right now (>80%).
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Sep 10, 20, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I was hoping they added new nonstop flight PHX-BOS/RDU/AUS/MIA or SAN.
Old Sep 10, 20, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
There is a monumental shift from business to leisure travel happening in the United States. Today, JetBlue announced two dozen new routes on top of the 30 new routes announced in June and 6 new routes in July. American announced 23 new routes last week, the same day Southwest added new routes from new stations in Florida, Colorado and California. Yesterday United unveiled plans for seven new long haul international routes on top of the 12 new Florida routes added in August. Alaska just added three new ski routes and in July added 12 new routes from LAX.

The last new route press release in Delta News Hub is from January 17th. As far as I can tell, the only new route added since March is 2x daily SEA-ONT. I find it remarkable one of the world's largest airlines cannot find any new routes worth trying during such a dramatic shift in travel patterns with aircraft and crews sitting idle. I recognize the drop in overall demand for air travel but is Delta being too conservative?
Hey, you forgot IND-MEM starting Oct 1: 😂😂

https://www.flymemphis.com/NewsDetails?newsid=5336

In all seriousness, Delta probably thinks it already covers many of the leisure markets decently well...the current areas of the country that are doing well in terms of air travel demand are the Mountain west and Florida and the South. DL already has a strong presence in both of those with SLC and a ATL (as well as many Northeast-FL flights) and so doesnít need to add more.

Internationally, the VFR markets (Caribbean and Africa) and holiday resorts in Mexico/Caribbean are the big ones right now and again, DL already had a decent network to those areas, so it just needs to reactivate itís existing network rather than add more. For example UA is adding ACC and LOS (both big VFR markets), both of which DL has already been serving for quite a while.
DL has also added some frequencies to CUN from existing gateways (eg LAX goes from daily to 10x weekly in Nov and then 2x daily from Dec; JFK-CUN goes to 3x daily starting Dec for the whole winter, etc).

Last edited by ClipperDelta; Sep 10, 20 at 4:01 pm
Old Sep 10, 20, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Well, I think DL already serves more p2p (or focus city to leisure market) services than AA or UA. And bear in mind that many of the p2p routes that UA/AA announced are less than daily/Sat only services.
AviationFreak and Adelphos like this.
Old Sep 10, 20, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbant, SPG Gold
Yes the United additions are quite impressive. They will have the only nonstop flight to JNB now that DL will have to stop in CPT.
Old Sep 10, 20, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle View Post
DL has little interest in competing for the bottom feeders who patronize Spirit, especially since the BE product offering no longer has the previous restrictions. DL is at its core a top-tier business-focused airline.
They'd be wise to rethink that strategy, at least in the near term.

There isn't a lot of business travel at the moment and there isn't forecast to be much for a while. Of the business travel that does exist, there has been a large uptick in private and fractional flying. DL will also struggle to attract a lot of business travelers with its skeleton schedule and lack of any kind of service, especially on competitive premium routes. If they're hoping to make a bunch of money on salesmen/women traveling from BHM to GSO, they're going to be in for a rude awakening sooner rather than later.
readywhenyouare and DLASflyer like this.
Old Sep 10, 20, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare View Post
Yes the United additions are quite impressive. They will have the only nonstop flight to JNB now that DL will have to stop in CPT.
small correction: only nonstop fromJNB. DL will still be flying nonstop to JNB since the routing is ATL-JNB-CPT-ATL.
writerguyfl and ryw like this.
Old Sep 10, 20, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
They'd be wise to rethink that strategy, at least in the near term.

There isn't a lot of business travel at the moment and there isn't forecast to be much for a while. Of the business travel that does exist, there has been a large uptick in private and fractional flying. DL will also struggle to attract a lot of business travelers with its skeleton schedule and lack of any kind of service, especially on competitive premium routes. If they're hoping to make a bunch of money on salesmen/women traveling from BHM to GSO, they're going to be in for a rude awakening sooner rather than later.
Someone can drive from BHM to GSO in under 7 hours in their own car with reduced Covid exposure and no connection in ATL.
Old Sep 10, 20, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle View Post
Someone can drive from BHM to GSO in under 7 hours in their own car with reduced Covid exposure and no connection in ATL.
Just saying, that was DL's bread and butter for a long time for which they would happily have charged you $1200 in Y roundtrip. Today that flight can be bought for $155. It's still only three hours flying vs seven driving, so I doubt there are a lot of people who would be willing to take the latter option, however they don't have anywhere near the pricing power they used to simply because that kind of travel isn't happening right now.
Old Sep 10, 20, 5:44 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Also remember that AA and UA have a bunch of 787s and other long haul planes that are collecting dust if there arenít places to fly. For AA and UA, they probably figured it was worth the utilization to try and fly these routes. Delta OTOH is retiring their 777s and there arenít enough A350s to backfill what was being flown.

That all being said, in most cases DL sees more value in flying a focus city to AMS/CDG than a hub some exotic location anyway. In the PreCovid era, Delta made a lot of money flying boring routes. It has yet to be shown that flying flashy routes will move the profitability needle for Delta PostCovid either.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: