Search

No new routes?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2020, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by DL747400
\
DL isnt a reactionary airline. They are very smartly run. Just because UA announced XYZ means very little to them. There is a reason they are the worlds most profitable airline.
Used to be the world’s most profitable airline.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DL747400
DL isnt a reactionary airline. They are very smartly run. Just because UA announced XYZ means very little to them. There is a reason they were the worlds most profitable airline.
Fixed one error in your statement.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 9:28 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Used to be the world’s most profitable airline.
Originally Posted by cmd320
Can DLASflyer or cmd320 provide a reference? The discussion so far has been very interesting, especially seeing airline strategy play out...
Old Sep 12, 2020, 9:34 am
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life

That reminded me to sell my stock now
cmd320 and GrayAnderson like this.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by speede racer
Can DLASflyer or cmd320 provide a reference? The discussion so far has been very interesting, especially seeing airline strategy play out...
A reference for DL not being the most profitable airline in the world at this time? Sure:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/14/delt...-pandemic.html
Old Sep 12, 2020, 10:09 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM
A reference for DL not being the most profitable airline in the world at this time? Sure:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/14/delt...-pandemic.html
Thanks; I know that airlines are having a very tough time of it, but I guess I was wondering whether Delta was no longer the 'most profitable' airline compared to other airlines -- are other airlines doing "less-badly" than Delta, to the extent that their profits now exceed Delta's?

In the context of this tread, I guess I'm trying to get at whether there is any financial data to evaluate whether 'no new routes' is a good or a bad move.

When Delta retired the 777, it seemed like a very bold and pessimistic move to me. Announcement of new routes by others seems to come from a need of other airlines to fly their fleet (because other airlines were not pessimistic enough, initially), and no new routes from Delta seems to be a consequence of the 777 (and similar) decisions. As mentioned earlier, it seems like a totally fascinating play...
DLASflyer likes this.

Last edited by speede racer; Sep 12, 2020 at 10:18 am
Old Sep 12, 2020, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Well I was more speaking of a post-covid world. Delta has shown no sign of restoring international flights outside of AMS, CDG, LHR, and ICN after this is all over..
What the heck are you talking about? They have already restored DL metal service to DUB, MAD, MXP, FCO, TLV, DSS, LOS, HND and SYD; ACC resumes tomorrow and BCN next week. BRU and ZRH are scheduled to resume Oct 1. By next summer, the plan is to have ATH, LIS, NCE, VCE, KEF, EDI, PKX, NGO, MNL, etc back on the map. None of these are JV Partner hubs...

Prior to Covid, they were already planning on adding more flights in 2020 to FCO (from BOS), TLV (from JFK), and restarting MAN (from BOS). Again, none of these are “AMS, CDG, LHR or ICN”.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
What the heck are you talking about? They have already restored DL metal service to DUB, MAD, MXP, FCO, TLV, DSS, LOS, HND and SYD; ACC resumes tomorrow and BCN next week. BRU and ZRH are scheduled to resume Oct 1. By next summer, the plan is to have ATH, LIS, NCE, VCE, KEF, EDI, PKX, NGO, MNL, etc back on the map. None of these are JV Partner hubs...

Prior to Covid, they were already planning on adding more flights in 2020 to FCO (from BOS), TLV (from JFK), and restarting MAN (from BOS). Again, none of these are “AMS, CDG, LHR or ICN”.
I just checked the schedule and MAD, DUB, MXP, FCO are all showing connections in AMS or CDG. And the courts have now ruled twice in favor of ALPA. Delta has given too much to JV partners. Are you telling us you know better than the courts?
Old Sep 12, 2020, 2:54 pm

Programs: Lame Duck Delta PM, Freshly Minted AA EXP
I just checked the schedule and MAD, DUB, MXP, FCO are all showing connections in AMS or CDG. And the courts have now ruled twice in favor of ALPA. Delta has given too much to JV partners. Are you telling us you know better than the courts?
Really? Though not daily, JFK--MXP (DL172) flies tomorrow, JFK--MAD also flies tomorrow (DL126), ATL-DUB flies Monday (DL176), and JFK--FCO flies today (DL152).
Old Sep 12, 2020, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
You completely missed the point of the post. Even though they live in Chicago they were willing to connect at DL hubs because they liked the product better than AA/UA/WN. Of course Delta was competitive in Chcago. Or do you think all of Delta's passengers were terminating at ATL, CVG, MSP, DTW? But now that Delta has cut schedules, cut services, and dramatically raised prices they are no longer competitive. Do you understand now?
The raising of prices depends on the route. I'm actually flying them right now RDU-DTW-ORD and back. A little more expensive at 3 weeks out ($235 compared to about $178 on WN), but WN has been messing with their schedule a lot and I couldn't trust that they'd keep the last flight. UA and AA are filling the planes.

Meanwhile, I get a 2 seat row to myself on DL on the Endeavor CR9s, and I got upgraded on three of the four flights and 5AB on the fourth. And the Sky Clubs are open at both ends.

Since I'm not pressed for time but need a post 5pm flight home, I'd rather fly two empty flights than one full one. The lack of business travelers and the massive C+ cabin means that the CR9 is a great plane for Platinums, DTW is easy and I get to avoid Atlanta but have it as an IRROPS options. Plus EQM for next year.

My next flight is on WN, but after that I will be moving back to DL at least until the beginning of 2021.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
I just checked the schedule and MAD, DUB, MXP, FCO are all showing connections in AMS or CDG.
For September

DL126 JFK-MAD A333 Wed Fri Sun
DL172 JFK-MXP A333 Wed Fri Sun
DL152 JFK-FCO A333 Tue Thu Sat
DL176 ATL-DUB A333 Mon Wed Fri

QUOTE=readywhenyouare;32670918]And the courts have now ruled twice in favor of ALPA. Delta has given too much to JV partners. Are you telling us you know better than the courts?[/QUOTE]

You are mixing up two things. Your first moan was about Delta pushing everything through JV partner hubs AMS, CDG and ICN and not doing enough of its own flying to secondary cities. I already pointed out the inaccurate nature of your rant since in Europe alone, Delta intends to fly to DUB, EDI, NCE, FRA, MUC, STR, ZRH, MXP, FCO, VCE, MAD, BCN, LIS, ATH and KEF on its own metal next summer.

Your second rant about ALPA suing Delta for not enough metal flying is NOT about flying to a greater variety of destinations. Nothing in the DALPA-Delta contract states that Delta has to fly its own metal to MXP or MAD or FRA etc. To correct the imbalance, Delta could simply just keep piling on the AMS and CDG flying on its own metal to meet contractual requirements, which would not resolve your issue.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 6:19 pm

You completely missed the point of the post. Even though they live in Chicago they were willing to connect at DL hubs because they liked the product better than AA/UA/WN. Of course Delta was competitive in Chcago. Or do you think all of Delta's passengers were terminating at ATL, CVG, MSP, DTW? But now that Delta has cut schedules, cut services, and dramatically raised prices they are no longer competitive. Do you understand now?
Yes, the majority of Delta's CHI based passengers of high value are probably O&D between Delta hubs and CHI. Thats how hub to hub routes work for the non-hub airlines.
Sure American and United probably have some Atlanta based flyers that connect, but the majority are O&D to each airlines respective hubs.

You are welcome for yet another educational post on how the airline industry works.
When was the 767/757 retirement announced?
it wasn't. He is just being him and making crap up.

~10 300ERs are going to be parked, The 6ish non-FADEC CF6 birds from Gulf air and a hand full of others (I think all Pratt 4000 birds) that are due for checks. Nothing has officially been said on the 757 fleet.
You do understand(probably not) destinations don't have a single thing to do with any of Delta's JV agreements with DALPA right?

As long as they do ~50% of the flying they could do nothing but AMS/CDG. Either way, Delta is slowly adding back non-JV hubs.
davedeboston likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by DLATL777
I believe Cape Town is a sizable new DL route.
To be fair, this was added as a necessary pit stop more than anything else.
cmd320, ryw and FlyerWx like this.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 9:50 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I'd point out that as long as DL is running at 60-65% of capacity (due to seat blocking), they don't have the slack they'd need to make a run at lots of experimental routes without burning cash. UA, in particular, has a LOT more room to risk <90% load factors on these flights whereas DL...doesn't.
HDQDD, DLASflyer and FlyerWx like this.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 7:25 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
To be fair, this was added as a necessary pit stop more than anything else.
He was asking about new routes, so I was providing one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.