Wiki Posts
Search

No new routes?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2020, 5:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kavok
Also remember that AA and UA have a bunch of 787s and other long haul planes that are collecting dust if there aren’t places to fly. For AA and UA, they probably figured it was worth the utilization to try and fly these routes. Delta OTOH is retiring their 777s and there aren’t enough A350s to backfill what was being flown.

That all being said, in most cases DL sees more value in flying a focus city to AMS/CDG than a hub some exotic location anyway. In the PreCovid era, Delta made a lot of money flying boring routes. It has yet to be shown that flying flashy routes will move the profitability needle for Delta PostCovid either.
I would make the argument that more people will now only want to make one connection to reduce exposure. United will be able to take you pretty much anywhere in the world with just one stop. For example with Delta you will need a connection at ATL/DTW/JFK and then another connection at AMS/CDG/ICN. So you're looking at three flights total.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
It's just fascinating that Delta is taking such a different path from its five largest competitors. I'm not convinced counting on connections through core hubs is a good strategy. In the eyes of the leisure traveler, what's worse than taking a flight during a pandemic? Two flights with three airports to navigate.

One of these strategies will turn out to be right and the other wrong. We just don't know which is which yet.

Last edited by DLASflyer; Sep 10, 2020 at 6:16 pm
Old Sep 10, 2020, 6:24 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
DL has little interest in competing for the bottom feeders who patronize Spirit, especially since the BE product offering no longer has the previous restrictions. DL is at its core a top-tier business-focused airline.

Top tier???? not anymore. They gave up a first class product just to compete with WN and Spirit. They are obvious third best when compared against their original competitors AA and UA
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
Top tier???? not anymore. They gave up a first class product just to compete with WN and Spirit. They are obvious third best when compared against their original competitors AA and UA
I call DL with any problem whatsoever and the agent takes personal responsibility and gets me an answer and has the autonomy to work with me on free flight changes. No way I get anything near this level of impeccable service from Spirit. Last year I stupidly booked a Spirit flight to save a few bucks. The day of they canceled the flight and refunded my money and I had to buy a full Y fare on DL. Never again.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I call DL with any problem whatsoever and the agent takes personal responsibility and gets me an answer and has the autonomy to work with me on free flight changes. No way I get anything near this level of impeccable service from Spirit. Last year I stupidly booked a Spirit flight to save a few bucks. The day of they canceled the flight and refunded my money and I had to buy a full Y fare on DL. Never again.
For 4+ months you couldn’t even get through to an agent for hours and hours.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 7:05 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by cmd320
For 4+ months you couldn’t even get through to an agent for hours and hours.
It could just be me, but with a callback option, during those few months I didn't care that it took 3-4 hours, I just cared how Delta treated me when they did pick up. And all of those interactions were very pleasant.

Back to the problem at hand... Do I wish Delta would add more leisure routes? Yes. However, I trust they're doing what they are for a good reason. Adding routes that aren't likely to make money doesn't help DL.
bgasser likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
As someone who flew at least 50% of my travel ex-ORD/MDW on DL I am down to 0% travel on DL. They just cannot get me anywhere with reasonable flight options and / or fares. There was a time when I had 30+ options from point-to-point, now I'm down to so few and timed so poorly that I can't use DL, even when I've tried to. Add to that the fact that their fare are so out of whack out of Chicago that it's a double whammy.

It's lovely that DL agents take good care of you and it's lovely that they are blocking middle seats but it means nothing if I can't use the airline. By the time this is over I will be so used to UA as my primary airline and AA as my back-up that I may not go back to DL...as someone who has been DM since its inception.
readywhenyouare and cmd320 like this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 8:28 pm

The audacity of a business to try to remain in business.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
As someone who flew at least 50% of my travel ex-ORD/MDW on DL I am down to 0% travel on DL. They just cannot get me anywhere with reasonable flight options and / or fares. There was a time when I had 30+ options from point-to-point, now I'm down to so few and timed so poorly that I can't use DL, even when I've tried to. Add to that the fact that their fare are so out of whack out of Chicago that it's a double whammy.

It's lovely that DL agents take good care of you and it's lovely that they are blocking middle seats but it means nothing if I can't use the airline. By the time this is over I will be so used to UA as my primary airline and AA as my back-up that I may not go back to DL...as someone who has been DM since its inception.
ORD is a UA and AA hub and MDW is a WN hub. DAL is never going to be competitive with routes in the Chicago market.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 6:27 am

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
Delta is putting significant effort into rebuilding theIr flight frequencies throughout the pre-COVID domestic network. Many, many city pairs have gone from 1 or 2 daily frequencies back to 4 or 5. As each improvement is made, the connecting schedules are restored.

Certainly a good time for an airline like Jet Blue to look around their network for opportunities. And for Alaska to look for some places to try to regain the initiative after their post-merger retreats.

Internationally, each of the Big 3 had 150 or so wide bodies being flown heavily In a market that now largely prohibits leisure and ordinary business travel. And all of the Big 3 have announced cutbacks in wide body fleet sizes. In flying exotic new routes, it will be a zero-sum game: each new route consumes 1 or 2 wide body aircraft from the shrinking fleet and a cutback to the pre-COVID network becomes inevitable. To be honest to their customers, where is United proposing to cut post-COVID service to let its planes open three new routes to Africa and cities like Bangalore?
Old Sep 11, 2020, 9:27 am

Programs: DL DM
Lately, Delta has been much more conservative than its competitors regarding new routes. They also seem to be much more focused on just making it through this crisis vs how to grow post-crisis. I'm sure they'll announce some new leisure-focused routes in the future, but I think company survival is the main emphasis right now.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
This may change now that there's no need to funnel through certain airports.

Also they're likely wanting to see what added capacity from AA/UA does to demand. UA especially seems to have gone crazy with adding routes/capacity. CV19 alone makes forecasting hard, competitors added capacity only adds complexity.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 10:55 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Someone can drive from BHM to GSO in under 7 hours in their own car with reduced Covid exposure and no connection in ATL.
More like 8 hours at night, ~10 hours during the day. ~3.5 flying.

I-85 goes through lots of traffic areas (CLT, GSP, ATL) and there's significant construction right now between the NC/SC state line and Spartanburg (roughly 50 miles of it). That stretch has lots of hills and transfer trucks. Not a good combo for only two lanes each direction (even before the construction).
Old Sep 11, 2020, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
It's just fascinating that Delta is taking such a different path from its five largest competitors. I'm not convinced counting on connections through core hubs is a good strategy. In the eyes of the leisure traveler, what's worse than taking a flight during a pandemic? Two flights with three airports to navigate.

One of these strategies will turn out to be right and the other wrong. We just don't know which is which yet.
In this industry no one is ever "right" or "wrong". Delta was already way more conservative than United and American internationally and were doing just fine on just about every metric you can imagine.
You are also making a HUGE assumption that all these flights will actually happen. Sumer 2021 is as far away as Summer 2002 was on this day 19 years ago.

Go back around the time and look at some of the stuff announced that we still didn't see in pre-COVID 2019. 9/11 and COVID are very different but can be viewed in the the same as far as economic impact on the airlines. (Hopefully the impact wont be nearly as long) Routes like SEA-BLR either wont happen or will be a huge flop when it does happen.

Also as noted, American and United have quite a few 787s they need to do something with, Delta on the other hand doesn't have a ton of slack in the upper end of its fleet now that they pulled the 777. So a route like JFK-HKG(just tossing something out) would be tough to pull off with the current A350 and what they have planned for S21 already.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC

You mean Delta isn't as competitive as three airlines with hubs in the city? I don't believe it!

I wonder if people in Atlanta feel the same way about Alaska? "what do you mean i have to make a connection in Seattle to go to New York. Delta and Southwest fly it non-stop, maybe i'll just take them and complain about how uncompetitive Alaska is on the internet!"
writerguyfl and hhdl like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.