Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do DL CRJ's have HEPA filters?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2020, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Do DL CRJ's have HEPA filters?

I see AA making a big deal about this, but can't find any info on DL's site about regional jets? Anyone have info on this?

I'm not trying to open a debate on what you believe. I'm just asking for a fact answer. Thanks
Old Sep 6, 2020, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
This suggests CRJ-700/900s do but CRJ-200s do not.

https://www.ptitechnologies.com/filt...ssengers-safe/
Old Sep 6, 2020, 4:15 pm

Actual technical info

Originally Posted by saaveraward
I see AA making a big deal about this, but can't find any info on DL's site about regional jets? Anyone have info on this?
Was a lead mechanic on the CRJs for 8+ years. To answer your question, the 700 & 900 both have a HEPA filter where the 200 does not. To get more into why that is not important on the 200 you must understand how the air cond system on a plane works. Outside air (extremely cold) and engine bleed air (very hot) both run through an air Cycle machine where through a series of parts it is compressed, heated or cooled and then sent into the cabin for pressurization. This build up of parts is known as a pack. Temp can be controlled by valves in the pack system allowing different amounts of the outside or bleed air. In addition to the pack system, all aircraft have a series of valves known as out flow valves. The valve will open or close to different sizes to meter how much air is leaving the aircraft to control pressurization. Because of how aircraft are pressurized, the air inside is constantly being cycled.
On a CRJ700/900 there are recirc fans that take the some cabin air and mix it back with air from the packs. After the recirc fans pull air from the cabin, the air goes through a HEPA filter before mixing with the air coming from the packs. On the 200, a hepa filter is not used because there is no recirc fans on the aircraft. The cabin air is sent through exhaust ducting into the avionics bay to cool the computers before being ducted outside through the out flow valve.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

very interesting explanation. Thanks!
mtrainer90 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Someone needs to clue Ed in on the facts.

From his email of today:

"Keeping the air you breathe clean during your travels is a foundation of the many layers of protection we provide. That’s why all aircraft are ventilated as often as every two minutes with fresh, outside air, as well as air that is recirculated through industrial-grade HEPA filters. These filters extract more than 99.99 percent of particles, including viruses, and we replace the filters twice as often as recommended."

"All" must no mean "all" in airtime management speak.
Pianoman109876 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 11:08 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter

From his email of today:

"Keeping the air you breathe clean during your travels is a foundation of the many layers of protection we provide. That’s why all aircraft are ventilated as often as every two minutes with fresh, outside air, as well as air that is recirculated through industrial-grade HEPA filters. These filters extract more than 99.99 percent of particles, including viruses, and we replace the filters twice as often as recommended."

On the CRJ, there is no recirculation, all the air is fresh outside air. That's arguably better than filtered and recirculated air. But yes technically the quote is inaccurate for a tiny subset of the fleet. You must be fun at parties.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by kjnangre
On the CRJ, there is no recirculation, all the air is fresh outside air. That's arguably better than filtered and recirculated air. But yes technically the quote is inaccurate for a tiny subset of the fleet. You must be fun at parties.
There's always one. I could be the other nitpicker that points out that CRJs are not actually part of DL's fleet...they're contracted by DLC
Old Sep 10, 2020, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
While we are discussing air flow, I've noticed 737s with the Boeing Sky Interior seem to have much less air coming through the gaspers than other aircraft. The holes are tiny even when fully opened and aren't placed very well for the person in the aisle. Legacy 737s and Airbus birds are much better.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 6:17 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
While we are discussing air flow, I've noticed 737s with the Boeing Sky Interior seem to have much less air coming through the gaspers than other aircraft. The holes are tiny even when fully opened and aren't placed very well for the person in the aisle. Legacy 737s and Airbus birds are much better.
While this is true...and yet another reason I think the 739s need to go away... in this day and age, I might actually PREFER something not blowing air at my face with such force.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Indeed and another reason to avoid the -200s
Old Sep 11, 2020, 9:42 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fly747first
Indeed and another reason to avoid the -200s
So basically you didn't understand the explanation. The CRJ is actually better. Other planes bring in some fresh air, but the rest is recirculated filtered air. Filtered air is pretty decent, but nothing beats fresh outside air. The CRJ uses only fresh outside air
Old Sep 11, 2020, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by kjnangre
So basically you didn't understand the explanation. The CRJ is actually better. Other planes bring in some fresh air, but the rest is recirculated filtered air. Filtered air is pretty decent, but nothing beats fresh outside air. The CRJ uses only fresh outside air
You can lead the horse to water but you cant force it to drink lol
Old Sep 11, 2020, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter

From his email of today:

which is none on the CR2. Not sure I see your point other than just trying to be a wise a.....person.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
which is none on the CR2. Not sure I see your point other than just trying to be a wise a.....person.
It's just some troll trying to spam different threads and get a reaction. I mean look at their program affiliations "DL DieMiles". They cant even be bothered proof reading their own posts. ""All" must no mean "all" in airtime management speak"
Old Sep 11, 2020, 6:13 pm

I would think for anyone concerned about the issue, this makes the CRJ-200 the best plane to fly on. There is zero recirculated air, everything blowing in your face is "fresh air" from outside.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.