Do DL CRJ's have HEPA filters?

Old Sep 6, 20, 1:19 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Programs: HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, Bonvoy Gold. Hold AA, UA, BA, LH, SQ, VX, AF, AMEX, Citi, Chase balances
Posts: 1,701
Do DL CRJ's have HEPA filters?

I see AA making a big deal about this, but can't find any info on DL's site about regional jets? Anyone have info on this?

I'm not trying to open a debate on what you believe. I'm just asking for a fact answer. Thanks
saaveraward is offline  
Old Sep 6, 20, 1:35 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Programs: DL PM
Posts: 604
This suggests CRJ-700/900s do but CRJ-200s do not.

https://www.ptitechnologies.com/filt...ssengers-safe/
DLASflyer is online now  
Old Sep 6, 20, 5:15 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 292
Actual technical info

Originally Posted by saaveraward View Post
I see AA making a big deal about this, but can't find any info on DL's site about regional jets? Anyone have info on this?
Was a lead mechanic on the CRJs for 8+ years. To answer your question, the 700 & 900 both have a HEPA filter where the 200 does not. To get more into why that is not important on the 200 you must understand how the air cond system on a plane works. Outside air (extremely cold) and engine bleed air (very hot) both run through an air Cycle machine where through a series of parts it is compressed, heated or cooled and then sent into the cabin for pressurization. This build up of parts is known as a pack. Temp can be controlled by valves in the pack system allowing different amounts of the outside or bleed air. In addition to the pack system, all aircraft have a series of valves known as out flow valves. The valve will open or close to different sizes to meter how much air is leaving the aircraft to control pressurization. Because of how aircraft are pressurized, the air inside is constantly being cycled.
On a CRJ700/900 there are recirc fans that take the some cabin air and mix it back with air from the packs. After the recirc fans pull air from the cabin, the air goes through a HEPA filter before mixing with the air coming from the packs. On the 200, a hepa filter is not used because there is no recirc fans on the aircraft. The cabin air is sent through exhaust ducting into the avionics bay to cool the computers before being ducted outside through the out flow valve.
mtrainer90 is offline  
Old Sep 6, 20, 5:39 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Programs: HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, Bonvoy Gold. Hold AA, UA, BA, LH, SQ, VX, AF, AMEX, Citi, Chase balances
Posts: 1,701
very interesting explanation. Thanks!
mtrainer90 likes this.
saaveraward is offline  
Old Sep 10, 20, 11:43 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Posts: 12,318
Someone needs to clue Ed in on the facts.

From his email of today:

"Keeping the air you breathe clean during your travels is a foundation of the many layers of protection we provide. Thatís why all aircraft are ventilated as often as every two minutes with fresh, outside air, as well as air that is recirculated through industrial-grade HEPA filters. These filters extract more than 99.99 percent of particles, including viruses, and we replace the filters twice as often as recommended."

"All" must no mean "all" in airtime management speak.
Pianoman109876 likes this.
StayingHomeIsBetter is offline  
Old Sep 10, 20, 12:08 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SJC
Programs: DL Gold, Marriott
Posts: 2,919
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter View Post
Someone needs to clue Ed in on the facts.

From his email of today:

"Keeping the air you breathe clean during your travels is a foundation of the many layers of protection we provide. Thatís why all aircraft are ventilated as often as every two minutes with fresh, outside air, as well as air that is recirculated through industrial-grade HEPA filters. These filters extract more than 99.99 percent of particles, including viruses, and we replace the filters twice as often as recommended."

"All" must no mean "all" in airtime management speak.
On the CRJ, there is no recirculation, all the air is fresh outside air. That's arguably better than filtered and recirculated air. But yes technically the quote is inaccurate for a tiny subset of the fleet. You must be fun at parties.
kjnangre is offline  
Old Sep 10, 20, 3:48 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: RDU
Programs: DL DM(segs)/MM, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Posts: 2,751
Originally Posted by kjnangre View Post
On the CRJ, there is no recirculation, all the air is fresh outside air. That's arguably better than filtered and recirculated air. But yes technically the quote is inaccurate for a tiny subset of the fleet. You must be fun at parties.
There's always one. I could be the other nitpicker that points out that CRJs are not actually part of DL's fleet...they're contracted by DLC
HDQDD is offline  
Old Sep 10, 20, 4:06 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Programs: DL PM
Posts: 604
While we are discussing air flow, I've noticed 737s with the Boeing Sky Interior seem to have much less air coming through the gaspers than other aircraft. The holes are tiny even when fully opened and aren't placed very well for the person in the aisle. Legacy 737s and Airbus birds are much better.
AANYC1981 likes this.
DLASflyer is online now  
Old Sep 10, 20, 7:17 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Delta PM
Posts: 351
Originally Posted by DLASflyer View Post
While we are discussing air flow, I've noticed 737s with the Boeing Sky Interior seem to have much less air coming through the gaspers than other aircraft. The holes are tiny even when fully opened and aren't placed very well for the person in the aisle. Legacy 737s and Airbus birds are much better.
While this is true...and yet another reason I think the 739s need to go away... in this day and age, I might actually PREFER something not blowing air at my face with such force.
Pianoman109876 is offline  
Old Sep 11, 20, 10:29 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East Coast
Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Posts: 10,054
Originally Posted by saaveraward View Post
very interesting explanation. Thanks!
Indeed and another reason to avoid the -200s
fly747first is offline  
Old Sep 11, 20, 10:42 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SJC
Programs: DL Gold, Marriott
Posts: 2,919
Originally Posted by saaveraward View Post
very interesting explanation. Thanks!
Originally Posted by fly747first View Post
Indeed and another reason to avoid the -200s
So basically you didn't understand the explanation. The CRJ is actually better. Other planes bring in some fresh air, but the rest is recirculated filtered air. Filtered air is pretty decent, but nothing beats fresh outside air. The CRJ uses only fresh outside air
kjnangre is offline  
Old Sep 11, 20, 1:35 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 292
Originally Posted by kjnangre View Post
So basically you didn't understand the explanation. The CRJ is actually better. Other planes bring in some fresh air, but the rest is recirculated filtered air. Filtered air is pretty decent, but nothing beats fresh outside air. The CRJ uses only fresh outside air
You can lead the horse to water but you cant force it to drink lol
Dawgfan6291 and kjnangre like this.
mtrainer90 is offline  
Old Sep 11, 20, 4:24 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,238
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter View Post
Someone needs to clue Ed in on the facts.

From his email of today:

"Keeping the air you breathe clean during your travels is a foundation of the many layers of protection we provide. Thatís why all aircraft are ventilated as often as every two minutes with fresh, outside air, as well as air that is recirculated through industrial-grade HEPA filters. These filters extract more than 99.99 percent of particles, including viruses, and we replace the filters twice as often as recommended."

"All" must no mean "all" in airtime management speak.
which is none on the CR2. Not sure I see your point other than just trying to be a wise a.....person.
Dawgfan6291 is offline  
Old Sep 11, 20, 5:06 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 292
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291 View Post
which is none on the CR2. Not sure I see your point other than just trying to be a wise a.....person.
It's just some troll trying to spam different threads and get a reaction. I mean look at their program affiliations "DL DieMiles". They cant even be bothered proof reading their own posts. ""All" must no mean "all" in airtime management speak"
Pianoman109876 and kjnangre like this.
mtrainer90 is offline  
Old Sep 11, 20, 7:13 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,140
I would think for anyone concerned about the issue, this makes the CRJ-200 the best plane to fly on. There is zero recirculated air, everything blowing in your face is "fresh air" from outside.
WhiskeyBravo is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: