Zero Flight Attendant Furloughs

Old Sep 4, 20, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
Zero Flight Attendant Furloughs

Delta flight attendants have managed to avoid furloughs entirely through a combination of early outs, split lines and unpaid leaves. "We’re grateful for the continued rallying spirit of Delta people during the pandemic," said a spokesperson for the company. "With the overwhelming response of flight attendants choosing to participate in our creative staffing options – and based on our current network schedule – we are positioned well to be able to successfully manage through our flight attendant overstaffing situation."

United is furloughing 6,920 flight attendants on October 1st and American 8,099.

Congratulations to the best in the business Delta FAs.

https://viewfromthewing.com/delta-ai...ht-attendants/
Old Sep 4, 20, 6:36 pm

Programs: DL DM(segs)/MM, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
DL FAs are special. No doubt. Even before this. I empathize with lose who left, I had a few friends at DL take the early out. Bittersweet times for many industries, but especially the travel industry.
Old Sep 4, 20, 8:41 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Assuming that stays true going forward and they are able to avoid furloughs well beyond October as well: A huge “great job!” to DL and DL management for steering the ship (plane?) as they have.
Old Sep 5, 20, 5:30 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott, IHG
That is an impressive achievement

I'm more than willing to take reduced cabin service--small price to pay.
Old Sep 5, 20, 8:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
What's the difference between unpaid leave and furlough?
Old Sep 5, 20, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Unpaid leave would be "voluntary", although could it include stuff like extended medical leave after all of one's paid medical leave is exhausted.

Typical reasons for unpaid leave now could be child care or care of a family member with medical needs, extended vacation, time off for a home renovation project, desire to escape from stress before returning to the job, etc.

For a furlough, the employer tells an employee that services aren't needed until at least date X, and there's no choice. With a full-time furlough, one should be able to get unemployment compensation. However, I'm not sure of the difference between a furlough and a lay-off except that these can be treated differently in union contracts and have different rights and priorities for being re-hired.
Old Sep 5, 20, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL Diam 2MM (2.3), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Quite an accomplishment to work it out. Especially impressive given that the FA group still includes folks who started with other airlines - certainly PMNW, but within the last 5 years (I think) I’ve flown with folks who started with Southern, NC, PA and Western. Some were pretty senior.
Old Sep 5, 20, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbant, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by No_Name View Post
I'm more than willing to take reduced cabin service--small price to pay.
By that logic even when the pandemic is over and travel demand returns, DL should just hire even more flight attendants and keep service to the bare minimum. Would that make you happy since DL is providing even more jobs?
Old Sep 5, 20, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
What's the difference between unpaid leave and furlough?
Voluntary leave - Delta is picking up the employee contribution for healthcare. Continued access to jumpseat privileges, full flight benefits, 2 positive space passes for anyone who took at least 1 month off during the pandemic.

Furlough - eventually medical goes away unless you pay COBRA, flight benefits are at a lower priority and eventually stop, etc.
Old Sep 5, 20, 2:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
So if a FA knows that he/she is about to be furloughed, it's better to volunteer for a leave first at DL.

But then the person on the voluntary leave wouldn't be eligible for unemployment, right? And DL's experienced rated premium for unemployment insurance wouldn't take a hit?
Old Sep 5, 20, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare View Post
By that logic even when the pandemic is over and travel demand returns, DL should just hire even more flight attendants and keep service to the bare minimum. Would that make you happy since DL is providing even more jobs?
I don't follow how willing to forgo the full beverage service during an extraordinary event means it would be acceptable when travel demands returns. What is wrong with accepting less service if it helps prevent job loss during this difficult time? I feel very fortunate that I've been able to maintain much of my revenue stream and I have made an effort to support local businesses in my area--I even tip extra when doing take-out (I know it must be shocking). I realize it doesn't make sense from a rational actor perspective, but being considerate of others is important to me.

If, after travel demand rebounds, Delta does not improve their cabin service, that would be a different scenario. Do their competitors offer a superior product?
Old Sep 5, 20, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
But then the person on the voluntary leave wouldn't be eligible for unemployment, right? And DL's experienced rated premium for unemployment insurance wouldn't take a hit?
I believe you are correct on both counts. Plus, the WARN Act would not apply if they can keep layoffs and furloughs below the threshold.
Old Sep 5, 20, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
So if a FA knows that he/she is about to be furloughed, it's better to volunteer for a leave first at DL.

Voluntary Leaves are eligible for UA in nearly every state as it’s a “voluntary leave in lieu of furlough.” Delta has not been contesting any of those claims.

if you know you’re about to be furloughed it really depends on what you want. If it was me I would stay on and fly as many hours as possible till they sent me packing to bank some extra cash. Being on voluntary leave doesn’t exclude you from being furloughed if your number comes up.
Old Sep 5, 20, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
How is Seniority affected by either voluntary leave or furlough?
Old Sep 5, 20, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbant, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by No_Name View Post
I don't follow how willing to forgo the full beverage service during an extraordinary event means it would be acceptable when travel demands returns. What is wrong with accepting less service if it helps prevent job loss during this difficult time? I feel very fortunate that I've been able to maintain much of my revenue stream and I have made an effort to support local businesses in my area--I even tip extra when doing take-out (I know it must be shocking). I realize it doesn't make sense from a rational actor perspective, but being considerate of others is important to me.

If, after travel demand rebounds, Delta does not improve their cabin service, that would be a different scenario. Do their competitors offer a superior product?
Never cry for a business. They never cry for you. I believe that's what Kevin O'Leary said.

If I were going through a hard time do you think Delta would care and offer me a cheaper flight? Of course not.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: