Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Interesting “Downgrade” Experience Today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting “Downgrade” Experience Today

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2020, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by Robert Leach
I will maintain until my last breath that F capacity should be flexible to accommodate couples sitting together. You remain guaranteed an empty seat next to you if you are traveling solo, but you can have the traveling companion sit next to you, in which case it should plus up the F cabin 50% capacity number by one. And I just don't see why a flight attendant sitting in 1C/D for 10 minutes on the front end and 10 minutes on the back end should even count as a "passenger" in the cabin when it comes to determination of 50% capacity.
Last week my adult son and I were numbers 1 and 2 on the FC UG list at the gate. Gate agent said she could only upgrade 1 of us into the 2 side-by-side FC seats as the other seat had to stay empty. So number 3 got the upgrade. Makes zero sense.
CO-PLAT likes this.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Sep 4, 2020 at 9:06 am
Old Sep 4, 2020, 5:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Last week my son and I were numbers 1 and 2 on the FC UG list at the gate. Gate agent said she could only upgrade 1 of us into the 2 side-by-side FC seats as the other seat had to stay empty. So number 3 got the upgrade. Makes zero sense.
How old is the son? Under 15 requires a UM fee (IIRC $150 or $200, if DL is even doing UM service at this time) to travel in a different cabin from parent.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 6:00 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
The silliest policy is on CRJ-900 aircraft. Why only have 6 people in F, on a 1-2 configuration? There should be 8 in that cabin, with seat C in each row empty.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Last week my son and I were numbers 1 and 2 on the FC UG list at the gate. Gate agent said she could only upgrade 1 of us into the 2 side-by-side FC seats as the other seat had to stay empty. So number 3 got the upgrade. Makes zero sense.
I thought the policy allowed family to sit together. Is that only if buying F outright or did I misunderstanding.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 7:07 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
Now after T/O I’m looking at my app and it shows me in 12D (PM) and he’s in 5C (GM). Just curious how the system worked that out. Also, while the Red Coat seemed somewhat embarrassed, she didn’t seem very apologetic for their mistake either.
I'm sure the agent just grabbed whomever was the last to be upgraded and then downgraded them (perhaps their ACI system shows when they're over Covid capacity). At the end of the day as long as you're both marked on board it doesn't really matter. Some airlines don't even do seat assignments, and even those that do, have people take other seats than they were assigned.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 7:21 am

Programs: DL DM; HH gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How old is the son? Under 15 requires a UM fee (IIRC $150 or $200, if DL is even doing UM service at this time) to travel in a different cabin from parent.
There is no UM fee for travel in separate cabins, but kids 5-15 still need to be enrolled in the program, presumably for awareness of the cabin crew. Unclear if the UM enrollment can be done by a gate agent, technically check-in is the last opportunity to add UM. If under 5, they have to travel in the same cabin as the adult, no matter what (not allowed as UM).

ETA: Domestic UM is currently in effect as normal, international is suspended (but international can be pretty challenging in the best of times due to routing/connection restrictions)
Old Sep 4, 2020, 8:25 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Honestly, DL should probably adjust the policy to something like this:
"First will generally be held to 50% of capacity. However, this may be exceeded in the event of members of the same party occupying neighboring seats. Notwithstanding this, we will not put two parties of two in the same row (though a party of four may still fill an entire row)."

(I write this noting that in theory, the 50%-of-capacity rule would mean that two parties of four in F would forcibly blank out two rows as a result. You don't have too many cases where four people book F together, but...)

Also, now I'm actually wondering...if you have two pax on separate PNRs who opt to sit together (e.g. they're allocated 2A and 2D but opt for 2A and 2B), is an FA going to have a fit over that? I'm thinking of situations where booking coordination ends up being clumsy. "Same origin/different destinations" or "Same destination/different origins" would be the obvious situation, but "Same routing, just had to book separately because of policies" also comes to mind.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 11:01 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by HDQDD
I'm sure the agent just grabbed whomever was the last to be upgraded and then downgraded them (perhaps their ACI system shows when they're over Covid capacity). At the end of the day as long as you're both marked on board it doesn't really matter. Some airlines don't even do seat assignments, and even those that do, have people take other seats than they were assigned.
AFAIK the airlines (LCCs and ULCCs) that don't do seat assignments don't have premium cabins either (WN for example), so no upgrades are possible.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by woodenshoe101
There is no UM fee for travel in separate cabins, but kids 5-15 still need to be enrolled in the program, presumably for awareness of the cabin crew. Unclear if the UM enrollment can be done by a gate agent, technically check-in is the last opportunity to add UM. If under 5, they have to travel in the same cabin as the adult, no matter what (not allowed as UM).

ETA: Domestic UM is currently in effect as normal, international is suspended (but international can be pretty challenging in the best of times due to routing/connection restrictions)
Unless it's changed recently, the rule was that the UM fee would be charged for a kid in a separate cabin. Some GAs might be nice or might not have time to process the payment. YMMV.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Agree with everything except... "walk of shame"? Seriously?
Old Sep 4, 2020, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL DM; HH gold
Unless it's changed recently, the rule was that the UM fee would be charged for a kid in a separate cabin. Some GAs might be nice or might not have time to process the payment. YMMV.
It's been like that for at least two years (the first time I had a reason to look up UM rules), and it is explicitly stated as a policy: https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...ce.html#cabins
Old Sep 4, 2020, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by woodenshoe101
It's been like that for at least two years (the first time I had a reason to look up UM rules), and it is explicitly stated as a policy: https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...ce.html#cabins
I have flown with my 3 minor children at least 100 times domestic and int’l on DL over the past 10 years. All of my upgrades (certs and comp) as DM and PM I have given to them while I have sat in C+ or MC. Never once have I been asked to pay a UM fee. Even when they were very young.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
DL's seating policy in F combines safety with efficiency. No way for a GA to know whether the companion lives in your Covid "bubble," no time to figure it out and there are enough idiots out there that people would lie just to get into F.

Bottom line is that the GA made an error and it was fixed. Nothing is owed although DL might toss a few miles (if it wasn't the second complaint of the year).
Old Sep 4, 2020, 1:35 pm

Programs: Delta DM 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
It has changed from your recollection:

Children ages 5-14 traveling with a ticketed passenger 18 years or older that is sitting in a separate cabin, must be enrolled in the UMNR program. The UMNR fee, seating and routing restrictions do not apply. Travel agents should contact Delta’s UMNR phone number at 800-325-8847 for assistance enrolling the child in the UMNR program.

Source: https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...20not%20apply.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles DM, Hertz President Circle, Enterprise Platinum, IHG, BW Diamond Select, AA EXP
I actually flew this same route on 8/30. And yes the snack box has been out of what ever meat that is for a while now...I have had a couple of them without any salami or pepperoni or what ever it is suppose to be.
But anyways...I find the blocking of row 1 on some aircraft for fight attendants a little funny. I have not flown many 738 & 739 lately, but on both of my flights last Saturday from PHX to ANC, the flight attendants "socially distanced" for take off any landing, but during flight sat next to each other on the jump seat chatting...is socially distancing only a needed function on take-offs and landings?

Last edited by hotshot265; Sep 4, 2020 at 3:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.