Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrading w/companions, eligibility, timing, Sep 2020 onward (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading w/companions, eligibility, timing, Sep 2020 onward (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2021, 9:54 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by zitsky
How do you link reservations? I just booked two flights, one for me with cash and an ecredit and one for Dr. Zitsky using Miles. Dr Z is a Silver. We are already in Comfort Plus. Any upgrade would only be for our short flights to/from RDU. He isn't eligible to upgrade to Delta One.
Not eligible because it's an international flight? Because I thought all Medallion levels are eligible for domestic D1 upgrades ever since it became comp upgrade eligible. (DL's upgrade page doesn't mention any restrictions in that regard.)
Old Feb 25, 2021, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by tardyturtle
You have to call (or iMessage) Delta to link the reservations. I believe the agent also has to manually request your companion's upgrade (I don't think it happens automatically), so make sure they do that as well. If you don't ask them, they may just assume you want them linked so you stay together in case of IRROPS, etc. Note that your companion will be at the bottom of the upgrade list after all medallion members and not adjacent to you (though I'd be interested to see if agents would upgrade you both if the seat next to you is blocked anyway--you could always ask if this happens since it's not like the seat would go to someone else).
Zorak yes it's an international flight.

tardyturtle Sounds like too much hassle for short flights and no guarantee.

Would linking help us if there were schedule changes, cancellation etc?
Old Feb 25, 2021, 6:18 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by zitsky
tardyturtle Sounds like too much hassle for short flights and no guarantee.

Would linking help us if there were schedule changes, cancellation etc?
Yes, linking is helpful for ensuring you travel together in case of schedule/equipment changes, so it's not a bad idea even if you're not requesting the upgrade. Usually I do this via the iMessage chat--it's pretty quick and easy.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 8:04 pm

I tried iMessage. It's easier than I expected. I won't be eligible for upgrades because my husband booked with miles. Maybe I'll get a mystery upgrade from Comfort plus to Delta One. Hahaha. LOL

(It's a joke.)
Old Feb 26, 2021, 1:48 pm

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Am i being overly paranoid in that i wouldn't want to split PNR's? It may cost me and my family upgrades(my wife is a GM that i gifted her), but in the case of IROPs, if we are all on my itinerary then we would get rebooked using my Diamond status aka we would get higher priority and treatment? Am i way off base?
Old Feb 27, 2021, 10:00 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Ryno1234
Am i being overly paranoid in that i wouldn't want to split PNR's? It may cost me and my family upgrades(my wife is a GM that i gifted her), but in the case of IROPs, if we are all on my itinerary then we would get rebooked using my Diamond status aka we would get higher priority and treatment? Am i way off base?
I always link PNRs when traveling with family (non-status FF), especially if these are short-haul flights (<4 hours). Handling IROPs takes priority.
Ryno1234 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 12:51 pm

Programs: Delta DM 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Question on companion upgrades on miles. My wife (general member) has a lot of miles in her account we would like to use. If her and I (Diamond) book tickets from her account using her miles, would we be elgible for upgrades based on my Diamond status?
Old Mar 10, 2021, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL DM
How does linking reservations work for DM/PM who have cleared into C+ immediately after booking?

Situation: I'll be traveling with Mrs. tardyrurtle and tardyturtle Jr. (both General SM members) We'd all like to be in C+. I was thinking of booking myself and tardyturtle Jr. on one reservation in Main Cabin, which would immediately clear into C+ and then book a separate ticket for Mrs. tardyturtle in paid C+ and we'd all sit together. If we link these two reservations (for IRROPS purposes), would the already-cleared C+ upgrade for me and tardyturtle Jr. disappear since I'm now traveling with two companions and the itinerary is no longer eligible for complementary upgrades?

Our travel will involve three segments (two connections), so IRROPS handling would take priority for me over getting two free seats in C+.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 12:35 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by metalblaze
I always link PNRs when traveling with family (non-status FF), especially if these are short-haul flights (<4 hours). Handling IROPs takes priority.
Yep. Booked in a few weeks with a family member and absolutely made sure to book together. Helps for them to "inherit" my status for lack of a better term.
Old May 4, 2021, 9:29 am

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
Traveling Same Reservation - Will higher status still determine upgrade eligibility?

We haven't traveled on Delta for over a year because of the pandemic. We now have some flights scheduled and I am wondering, if traveling on the same reservation with my wife, the higher status still applies for both for upgrade status. I've noticed that some flights seem to be wide open in F and also wonder if upgrades are more likely than pre-pandemic.

Thanks in advance!
Old May 4, 2021, 11:04 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by yogimax
We haven't traveled on Delta for over a year because of the pandemic. We now have some flights scheduled and I am wondering, if traveling on the same reservation with my wife, the higher status still applies for both for upgrade status. I've noticed that some flights seem to be wide open in F and also wonder if upgrades are more likely than pre-pandemic.

Thanks in advance!
Yes, if traveling under one reservation, you and one companion clear at the higher status (companion must be at least a general member and have a SkyMiles number entered.)
Boraxo and Traveler_boy_25 like this.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 3:42 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Diamond
Companion upgrade

So I have been a long time GM, now a newly minted PM. Traveling with my wife who is a SM member but no status. There has never been an issue with upgrades when available in the past. We are at MSP about to take the 4th leg of a round trip from BDL to LAS. All 4 we got automatic comfort+ upgrades, the first leg up to the front. The upgrade list has me 2nd with 4 seats available, but my wife is not listed. I spoke with the representative at the sky club. She said that our reservations needed to be split. This makes no sense to me since I thought your itineraries needed to be together. She wasn’t able to fix it and said I needed to talk to the gate agent. She said that they were nice to me when I got upgraded in the past! I’m concerned that the seats may be assigned before then. I asked her that I am confused and how to prevent this in the future. She just smiled and said “I know”.
So what happened and what do I do in the future? Does it have something to do with being PM and accepting the first upgrade to comfort?
Old Jun 12, 2021, 4:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by Madaldad
So I have been a long time GM, now a newly minted PM. Traveling with my wife who is a SM member but no status. There has never been an issue with upgrades when available in the past. We are at MSP about to take the 4th leg of a round trip from BDL to LAS. All 4 we got automatic comfort+ upgrades, the first leg up to the front. The upgrade list has me 2nd with 4 seats available, but my wife is not listed. I spoke with the representative at the sky club. She said that our reservations needed to be split. This makes no sense to me since I thought your itineraries needed to be together. She wasn’t able to fix it and said I needed to talk to the gate agent. She said that they were nice to me when I got upgraded in the past! I’m concerned that the seats may be assigned before then. I asked her that I am confused and how to prevent this in the future. She just smiled and said “I know”.
So what happened and what do I do in the future? Does it have something to do with being PM and accepting the first upgrade to comfort?
I have travelled often in same situation as you (Platinum with SM member companion), but never had that issue., If you haven't already, go to the gate, and hopefully gate agent can figure it out, should not be a problem
Madaldad likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Madaldad
Did you happen to only select your name on the check-in page? If your non-status person got checked in at a different time, I could see issues with the system not recognizing her UG status. The best bet to avoid this in the future is if you notice she isn’t on the UG list when you first check-in is to call DL and ask them “uncheck” you in so you can start the check in again (and force the UG gate request to process again. Once you’re past the checkin window or have already flown a segment, it’s too late for the agent to do this.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 4:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I agree that you shouldn't split the PNR if it somehow hasn't already been split. Can you (or the SC agent) double check that wife's FF number still shows on the reservation and that upgrades have been requested? Depending on your fare class, status tier, Reserve card, etc., I'd generally avoid trying to remove and reapply the upgrade request since the final tiebreaker is time of upgrade request.

I agree that your best option seems to be to go to the gate before the GA arrives and try to have it fixed then.

There have indeed been some reports a while ago that C+ upgrades tended to cause a glitch with FC upgrades, but I haven't heard of any recent data points on this.

If you can get through to DL by phone as a PM, I'd try that, but the wait times might be too long for this to be practical.
flyerCO likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.