Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to Eliminate Change Fees on Domestic Tickets [Consolidated Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to Eliminate Change Fees on Domestic Tickets [Consolidated Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2020, 9:06 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
So at first I was stoked thinking of having flexibility with DL that has helped me with WN. But then I read the posts about BE vs MC fares and I'm swearing as it seems inevitable now and I don't buy BE.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 9:30 pm

Before everyone continues to rave about the same Scott Kirby that has never once his is career provided a clean, crisp enhancement to the customer without a major give back -- consider this:

We do not know what this no-change-fee policy does to the gap between "regular" economy fares and "basic" economy fares. Does United now start pricing these fares $100 or more apart? That's where my money is.

And it's what Delta's continued to try and do, even during the pandemic, with an ever growing gap in the fare difference between basic and regular. What used to be $20-$40 on Delta can now easily be $60-$75 or more in difference.

Somehow Kirby will find a way to make this neutral and driving a much larger fare premium for a "no change fee" fare is likely. And should Delta copy, you can be darn sure that's how Glen & Co will go about it.
DiverDave and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This will mess up SDC opportunities too, which require fare class availability on DL, as opposed to SDS (standby) which makes any seat in the same cabin available.
I've been able to SDC in a fare class that was available but not for sale. I don't see why that can't continue.

But the rules for SDC aren't smart: they won't let me SDC from an oversold flight to a not-quite-sold-out flight because my low fare class isn't available on the latter, even when that decreases their chances of having to pay for denied boarding. (And yes, I've shown up at the airport for the earlier flight I didn't want to have to wake up for, only to have them pay me to take the flight I'd gladly have switched to for free.)
Old Aug 31, 2020, 1:24 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Yeah I don't see that the huge change fees can stay given the current environment and if airlines what people not to fly if they are sick, then you need for people to be able to be flexible. For United, it only seems fair since they want to cancel flights at the last minute, so fliers should be able to as well.

I wonder how all these changes will have AMEX and all the fee reimbursement benefits change....
Old Aug 31, 2020, 2:00 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I'm inclined to agree with the folks expecting that this will revert in a couple of years (though probably at a more sane level...there have definitely been at least a few cases where customers didn't to cancel out tickets over the years because the residual value wouldn't be worth bothering). I wouldn't be surprised to see some stratification in cancellation timeline if/when fees come back (e.g. assessing a fee at $50 or $100 for cancellation within 3-7 days of a flight) since a "full flexibility" change policy like this...well, the airlines might recoup on closer-in changes being adjusted with buckets.*

Short-term I think this is a lump that the airlines are going to be taking to compete with one another (especially given the risks people have in terms of a trip being rendered unworkable due to a virus outbreak or a change in quarantine rules). This will likely change once load factors balance back out...but the need to discourage people from "speculative bookings" to avoid a "false sellout" (or overbooking and having to reaccommodate) is really not there at the time (and that was part of the underlying "excuse" for those fees).

So let's see...we've got crappy schedules, limited food in the airports, lousy on-board food, and now change fees are probably going away but (non-BE) fares will plausibly rise. It really is turning into the late 70s!

*If I had to guess, what will happen is they might leave some nominal lower-fare-class inventory laying around to accommodate SDCs [i.e. the top half-dozen buckets] but having them at higher fares. Remember that they can assign multiple fare levels to a given fare class.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by rylan
Understand that UA said 'permanent' but do you really think they won't bring it back in a year or so or whenever things recover?
its permanent for now....but nothing stops them from reverting back to change fees in a couple of years....delta has no choice but to follow....both airlines will however think of new ways to make up for lost revenue during this 'permanent' stage....
Old Aug 31, 2020, 5:58 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by J.Edward
You’d stealth add them by closing the lower fare buckets to force customers to buy up to higher ones as the flight got closer in. For example on the day of departure you may only see Y open but all sub-Y classes closed off forcing anyone wanting to make a change to upfare.
Airlines have already been doing this for at least 20 years (since I worked in RM). The difference now is that they won’t have the additional “gravy” of the change fee. The industry took in 2.8bil in change fees last year.
MSPeconomist and wxman22 like this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
My point is that WN has always allowed changes to their tickets and they've managed to stay in business for quite some time. And believe it or not, WN is quite popular with business travelers.
Not disagreeing completely, but a key point with WN is that WN also *always* collects a fare difference. So if your plans change day of, WN won't charge you a change fee, but you will get hit with a fare difference if you want to change flights, whereas the UA change will allow free standby. DL allows SDC (assuming same fare availability which is hit or miss) and SDS for $50 which is probably far less than the fare difference would be if you confirmed a change outside of the SDC/SDS window. So there are tradeoffs and WN still has ways of collecting money, even with business travelers.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Aug 31, 2020 at 10:43 am
Old Aug 31, 2020, 9:16 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
If the absence of change fees encourages more changes overall (and IMHO, it will), airlines could well collect more revenue overall with a shift to zero change fees. Never forget, institutional inertia is especially severe within airline management offices, so don't assume the pre-COVID status quo was necessarily an optimal setup for Delta (or anyone else).
DLASflyer likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 10:35 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
This IMO isn’t really surprising. Even Ed Bastian said before the pandemic hit that change fees could be overhauled within the industry so I assume DL and AA will probably follow. Since business travel is going to be slow for the next few years, this might help to get more leisure pax to pay up from BE to Main Cabin as these fares will now have more ticket flexibility. I assume that DL could make their policy like WNs where you must cancel/change your ticket at least 10 mins prior to your scheduled departure time or risk forfeiting your tickets values to prevent mass no-shows.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 10:40 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
If the absence of change fees encourages more changes overall (and IMHO, it will), airlines could well collect more revenue overall with a shift to zero change fees. Never forget, institutional inertia is especially severe within airline management offices, so don't assume the pre-COVID status quo was necessarily an optimal setup for Delta (or anyone else).
I agree with you. Pre-covid, the last time I checked flights, I found last minute flights with legacy carriers, departing within a week is usually absurdly high. a day or two change could easily cost $300 more, but at least now it won't be $500 with a change fee.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Gig103
I agree with you. Pre-covid, the last time I checked flights, I found last minute flights with legacy carriers, departing within a week is usually absurdly high. a day or two change could easily cost $300 more, but at least now it won't be $500 with a change fee.
Correct.

It will just be a $500 fare difference.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 12:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sethb
I've been able to SDC in a fare class that was available but not for sale. I don't see why that can't continue.

But the rules for SDC aren't smart: they won't let me SDC from an oversold flight to a not-quite-sold-out flight because my low fare class isn't available on the latter, even when that decreases their chances of having to pay for denied boarding. (And yes, I've shown up at the airport for the earlier flight I didn't want to have to wake up for, only to have them pay me to take the flight I'd gladly have switched to for free.)
This largely happens when the fares in your fare class have an advanced purchase requirement. However, for a no change fee regime, DL still would have an incentive not to offer the lower fare class because there would be people changing their (return) flights where DL would want them to be forced to pay a fare difference for the privilege.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BenA
I think this is just another step in the evolution of Basic Economy fares, TBH. They’ll use this to continue to segment business travelers into Main Cabin, and will raise prices on those fares accordingly.

When BE was introduced, the price difference was $20-30 RT. Now, it routinely approaches $75. I wouldn’t be surprised to see that difference become $150 in the next year if these changes take hold.

The next step, of course, will be seat assignment buyups for basic economy fares. And then someone will start offering elite upgrades on higher basic economy fares. And then everything will be back where we started.... just like business class was originally like today’s Premium Economy. It’s the circle of revenue management life!
UA already announced BE can pay to upgrade (at least to C+)

Originally Posted by ekozie
Saw this from UA and immediately came here. UA also waiving SDC fees starting in January.

I think the majors have no choice but to do this in the medium-term, though I would be quite surprised if it doesn't eventually come back. I, too, also expect non-BE fares to continue to increase over BE, pricing some of this change in.8.2.3
UA is allowing standby for all. Per the details I saw, confirmed required having elite status.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Not disagreeing completely, but a key point with WN is that WN also *always* collects a fare difference. So if your plans change day of, WN won't charge you a change fee, but you will get hit with a fare difference if you want to change flights, whereas the UA change will allow free standby. DL allows SDC (assuming same fare availability which is hit or miss) and SDS for $50 which is probably far less than the fare difference would be if you confirmed a change outside of the SDC/SDS window. So there are tradeoffs and WN still has ways of collecting money, even with business travelers.
Not for their higher fares. Only the lower ones result in fare difference for SDS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.