Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL Took Away Our Paid Upgrades!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2020, 6:26 am
Original Poster

DL Took Away Our Paid Upgrades!!

Used Virgin FC points back in February for 2 coach seats on DL to SAN this November. A few days after booking I was able to pay to upgrade to FC on the DL site for under $300 each. The tickets were initially ticketed on VIR stock, but after the upgrade (or possibly a schedule change), DL took over the ticketing and reissued them.

Yesterday, knowing the ticket was now on DL stock, I called to inquire about changing the flight to one a couple of days later and before I knew it, the agent is telling me how these tickets should have never been allowed to be upgraded and she would have to refund the upgrades and move us back into coach. She added she would need to get VIR on the line to see about endorsing the ticket back to them and have them change dates using their inventory, but VIR wouldn't take the ticket back because they couldn't figure out how to. The whole process was befuddling and surreal. One phone call to inquire about a possible change to my flights led to the loss of my upgraded seats.

After a couple of hours, I rechecked the reservation and found the option to upgrade to FC was still there, but now at more than twice the price of what I originally paid. I called back in and spoke with a supervisor who would not budge. I asked why I could still purchase the upgrade even though it was taken away from me earlier and she replied that it was a DL issued ticket. I then asked about changing dates, and she said she couldn't do that and the ticket would have to go back to VIR for changes, something earlier in the day VIR said they couldn't do. In all my years of Superior DL customer service, this is the first time I feel they failed me as a long-term PM.

I love the notion that the airlines want you to think by booking with code-share partners your travel will be seamless, but this is a classic example of the downfalls of these alliances. The reality is their systems can't interface, travel becomes more complicated, and the customer is left with a sub-par experience.

So I've resigned myself that we'll be sitting in coach out to the west coast unless anyone here can offer a helpful suggestion or workaround.

Thanks for any advice & stay safe out there!
Old Aug 28, 2020, 6:44 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jayc
Used Virgin FC points back in February for 2 coach seats on DL to SAN this November. A few days after booking I was able to pay to upgrade to FC on the DL site for under $300 each. The tickets were initially ticketed on VIR stock, but after the upgrade (or possibly a schedule change), DL took over the ticketing and reissued them.

Yesterday, knowing the ticket was now on DL stock, I called to inquire about changing the flight to one a couple of days later and before I knew it, the agent is telling me how these tickets should have never been allowed to be upgraded and she would have to refund the upgrades and move us back into coach. She added she would need to get VIR on the line to see about endorsing the ticket back to them and have them change dates using their inventory, but VIR wouldn't take the ticket back because they couldn't figure out how to. The whole process was befuddling and surreal. One phone call to inquire about a possible change to my flights led to the loss of my upgraded seats.

After a couple of hours, I rechecked the reservation and found the option to upgrade to FC was still there, but now at more than twice the price of what I originally paid. I called back in and spoke with a supervisor who would not budge. I asked why I could still purchase the upgrade even though it was taken away from me earlier and she replied that it was a DL issued ticket. I then asked about changing dates, and she said she couldn't do that and the ticket would have to go back to VIR for changes, something earlier in the day VIR said they couldn't do. In all my years of Superior DL customer service, this is the first time I feel they failed me as a long-term PM.

I love the notion that the airlines want you to think by booking with code-share partners your travel will be seamless, but this is a classic example of the downfalls of these alliances. The reality is their systems can't interface, travel becomes more complicated, and the customer is left with a sub-par experience.

So I've resigned myself that we'll be sitting in coach out to the west coast unless anyone here can offer a helpful suggestion or workaround.

I think you need to decide whether its more important to change the dates or try to keep the upgrade you paid for on the original dates. If the former, then work with Virgin to change the dates and then be content in coach (unless you get another F upgrade opportunity). If the latter, I would HUCA, plead your case, and hope you get a supervisor who can honor the F upgrade at the original price. You might have to do this several times as I recently experienced. If still unsuccessful you could send in the F upgrade receipt to Delta corporate with a letter briefly explaining the issue and/or fill out a complaint form uploading the F upgrade receipt as an attachment. I might also file a DOT complaint in this case. If they offered you a F upgrade, and you accepted the offer, I'd be curious how they'd respond to the DOT (just saying "well we never should have made this offer in the first place" hardly seems satisfying).
Old Aug 28, 2020, 7:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
So long as DL refunds the $300 per ticket, it has complied with its DOT obligations for the downgrade.

Only VS can make changes to the underlying ticket as it is paid for with points and thus cannot be effectively valued by DL. (Or if it could be, you would not want the value DL was paid for by VS as the basis for the new ticket).

It is entirely up to VS whether it will take over the ticket. If you wish to pursue a change, you will need to call VS -- not DL -- and ask for the change to be made. VS may or may not be willing to do this and it may charge a fee to take the ticket back.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 7:20 am
Original Poster

I'm good with keeping the original dates at this point, just want to get the upgrade back.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
I think you need to decide whether its more important to change the dates or try to keep the upgrade you paid for on the original dates. If the former, then work with Virgin to change the dates and then be content in coach (unless you get another F upgrade opportunity). If the latter, I would HUCA, plead your case, and hope you get a supervisor who can honor the F upgrade at the original price. You might have to do this several times as I recently experienced. If still unsuccessful you could send in the F upgrade receipt to Delta corporate with a letter briefly explaining the issue and/or fill out a complaint form uploading the F upgrade receipt as an attachment. I might also file a DOT complaint in this case. If they offered you a F upgrade, and you accepted the offer, I'd be curious how they'd respond to the DOT (just saying "well we never should have made this offer in the first place" hardly seems satisfying).
Sound advice, thank you for that!

Excuse my ignorance on what HUCA is and how I would contact them.

Thanks again!!
Old Aug 28, 2020, 7:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

Thanks again!!
If that is the case, it is a question of convincing DL to upgrade the ticket for $300. One more call will not hurt as it will tell you whether the last supervisor documented your PNR with the decision, making it unlikely in the extreme that another supervisor will make the policy exception (upgrade another carrier's redemption ticket).
Old Aug 28, 2020, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
That makes no sense why they would take away your upgrade, especially when it was the DL website that made the offer and you took it and they even reissued the ticket.
readywhenyouare likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Where do you depart from on this ticket? Which exact flights were upgraded? I ask because if this is part of a trip to SAN ex-EU you may be entitled to downgrade compensation.

I would call back and explain to agent that previous agent downgraded you without your consent. Regardless of if it should have allowed upgrade, it did, you paid, and ticket was reissued. If this fails, HUCA . You may need to HUCA couple times. If this truly fails an US DOT complaint is in order. (And EU possibly)
Old Aug 28, 2020, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm curious what fare classes appeared on your ticket before and after the upgrade and then again after DL did the downgrade.

Also, has anyone else here ever gotten an offer from DL's IT to upgrade an award ticket for money, and if so, which FF program rules were used initially for the award ticket? My impression, for example, is that KLM sometimes offers cash upgrades to award tickets on DL operated westbound TATL flights exAMS. You can't use a GUC/RUC or upgrade with miles (except by having the award ticket cancelled and rebooked in the higher cabin for more miles) on award tickets, but I'm not sure it's prohibited to pay money to upgrade via the app or at the airport.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND

Thanks again!!
You realize that Delta isn't even providing ice, soft drinks or meals on any US flight now, right? Meanwhile they are blocking middle seats in Coach so it may not be such a bad idea to keep your $300 when DL is barely delivering any service in First Class now.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 11:42 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
HUCA = "Hang Up, Call Again'

Unfortunately I doubt you can get these upgrades back at the original price. It's not right to offer things online and then not offer them, I think Delta did you wrong here. But getting it back would require some very high level actions, which would be very difficult to get moving...
Old Aug 28, 2020, 11:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by fly747first
You realize that Delta isn't even providing ice, soft drinks or meals on any US flight now, right? Meanwhile they are blocking middle seats in Coach so it may not be such a bad idea to keep your $300 when DL is barely delivering any service in First Class now.
We don't know the route or when OP is traveling.

Sorry, it's "to" SAN (from ATL? nonstop?) and sometime in November. Depending on the routing, a flight with (domestic?) D1 seats or even service could be involved.

If OP hadn't called DL, I suspect the original upgrade would have been kept and OP would have been sitting in FC since the ticket was apparently already reissued with the upgrade.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 11:48 am

What you don’t realize is Delta actually did you a favor - $600 can go a long way in SAN. Coach on Delta is actually very pleasant those days. Guaranteed empty middle seat, quiet peaceful flights... just bring your own food & beverage and the rest is golden.
MSPeconomist and hi55us like this.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I mean you didn't get a great agent but not really sure what you are complaining about. You bought at ticket with VS miles on VS stock. Paid upgrades are only supposed to be available on DL tickets. The system let you get around it, you called to change something else, they realized their error and downgraded you and refunded you. Doesn't seem unreasonable on DL's part.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 12:08 pm

HUACA = Hang Up And Call Again...a tactic so tried-and-true it has its own acronym here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.