FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Advice for downgraded D1 flight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2023897-advice-downgraded-d1-flight.html)

Billy Mumphrey Aug 24, 2020 3:06 pm

Advice for downgraded D1 flight

I purchased DCA-LAX-DCA in D1 back in January. A couple months ago I got an email showing a schedule change (from a 757 to 737), thereby downgrading my ticket from D1 to F. I called Delta to inquire about cancelling for a refund, but they insisted I wasn't eligible because there was no equipment change. I asked how I could send them my original receipt (stating D1 as class of service), as well as the schedule change email, but they said it wasn't possible to send them documents. They did agree if there was a downgrade I'd be eligible for a refund, just that their records show that DCA-LAX has never had a D1 cabin. I spoke to a supervisor and had the same result.

Besides initiating a dispute with my credit card, which would allow me to submit evidence, is there another avenue to pursue a refund (not a voucher)? Any advice on how to proceed when Delta's internal records don't reconcile with mine?

garykung Aug 24, 2020 3:14 pm

The best way is a DOT complaint.

FWIW, as a DM, you should have known whether DCA-LAX and vice versa should have D1 service or not. However, given DL was the one advertising it, you should have no issue getting a full refund.

Flyer0889 Aug 24, 2020 3:16 pm

Did you already try HUCA? They should easily be able to see the fare class in their records.

cmd320 Aug 24, 2020 3:18 pm

I'm not sure how they can argue there was no equipment change if it went 757 to 737... Best options IMO are either HUCA or CC dispute, especially if you used Amex.

MSPeconomist Aug 24, 2020 3:55 pm

Don't DL's T&C still say that they're entitled to make equipment changes and that aircraft type isn't guaranteed?

Depending on when OP purchased the ticket, I wonder whether there could be some confusion from when DL changed their marketing (cabin names) and fare classes for premium cabin with IIRC domestic FC now being called business class (to avoid domestic FC confusion with D1, etc.).

jimrpa Aug 24, 2020 4:00 pm

I thought the only transcon routes that have ever offered D1 (as opposed to simply being operated by aircraft that happened to be equipped with lie-flats up front) were JFK-SFO & JFK-LAX?

it may be that the OP was simply in FC on an aircraft that happened to have lie-flats. In which case, an equipment change, while sad, is not a class of service change.

MSPeconomist Aug 24, 2020 4:02 pm

Details would help, including fare classes.

DiverDave Aug 24, 2020 4:19 pm

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...n-dc.html.html

TRANSCON FROM D.C.We’re proud to announce new Delta transcontinental flights from D.C. to Los Angeles. Each transcontinental flight offers our exclusive Delta One®experience, a luxurious cabin with the only flat-bed seats from DCA to LAX.”

hhdl Aug 24, 2020 4:51 pm

BOS-LAX (and briefly, BOS-SFO) also had D1 IIRC.

jrl767 Aug 24, 2020 5:04 pm

:rolleyes: and don’t even start about SEA<—>JFK

cmd320 Aug 24, 2020 5:08 pm

Mostly attempts to compete with B6 which failed.

pfreet Aug 24, 2020 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by hhdl (Post 32627324)
BOS-LAX (and briefly, BOS-SFO) also had D1 IIRC.

As did ATL-HNL, I flew it. But some will argue ATL doesn't count as a transcon flight :-)

Billy Mumphrey Aug 24, 2020 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 32627106)
The best way is a DOT complaint.

FWIW, as a DM, you should have known whether DCA-LAX and vice versa should have D1 service or not. However, given DL was the one advertising it, you should have no issue getting a full refund.

Not sure what you're saying I should have known. It was D1 service when I purchased it, and due to an equipment change D1 became F. It looks like when they brought back this flight (it was suspended for several months beginning in March), it came back with a 737. But if you look further out on the calendar, it is still listed as D1 beginning around November.

Billy Mumphrey Aug 24, 2020 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Flyer0889 (Post 32627111)
Did you already try HUCA? They should easily be able to see the fare class in their records.

Yes, and same result. They claimed both times it was always a 737 and always F, which seems bizarre. But when I purchased the ticket it was advertised as D1. My receipt and schedule change email confirm that.

Billy Mumphrey Aug 24, 2020 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 32627227)
Details would help, including fare classes.

From receipt: Delta One (Z)
From My Trips currently: First (Z)

Purchased in January for flights in mid September (the whole month uses a 737 now).