Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

ATL - BOM International booking question

Old Aug 24, 20, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallian

I looking at flights and fares for ATL-BOM (Mumbai) route and I see various routes offered by skyteam members for the similar prices. Not much difference between fares if I buy ticket from Delta or Air France or KLM
Question is considering situation that delta metal only flies from ATL to CDG/AMS and that I will need to fly AF or KLM metal from CDG/AMS to BOM, should I book directly with AF and get all flights with AF Metal? Or a mix is ok? Any impact on sky miles? I am thinking of flying business class and I have platinum status with Delta.
Old Aug 25, 20, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Anix View Post
I looking at flights and fares for ATL-BOM (Mumbai) route and I see various routes offered by skyteam members for the similar prices. Not much difference between fares if I buy ticket from Delta or Air France or KLM
Question is considering situation that delta metal only flies from ATL to CDG/AMS and that I will need to fly AF or KLM metal from CDG/AMS to BOM, should I book directly with AF and get all flights with AF Metal? Or a mix is ok? Any impact on sky miles? I am thinking of flying business class and I have platinum status with Delta.
As you alluded to, there at least two different questions to consider, depending which aspect(s) are more important to you.

1. which operating airline and which equipment? All 3 airlines have a range of business class products of varying age and quality. e.g. you probably want to avoid the AF 380 (angle-flat), DL 767 (old product that I think most people agree is the worst DL J product), and look at seat maps if 1-2-1 vs. 2-2-2 that's something you care about. Although on a random search it seems like most choices all involve 1-2-1 seating so there may not be much of a distinction here in terms of aisle access, but opinions of seat comfort and catering will vary.

2. which airline marketing code to purchase the flight under (the same flight may be offered as a codeshare as DL123 or AF456). For ATL-BOM you will almost certainly come out ahead on MQDs and RDMs if you buy AF- or KL-coded flights (regardless of who the actual operating airline is) assuming the fares are more or less the same. But it depends on the fare and the mileage, so you kinda just have to do the math.

Large related FT thread: Delta Partner Mileage Accrual Changes Effective Jan 2018

and the charts on the DL web site: https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...rline-partners
Old Aug 25, 20, 6:31 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.1MM, EK Gold, SQ Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
FYI the AF A380 will never fly again so you can remove that from your list of variables.
Zorak and hhdl like this.
Old Aug 26, 20, 11:19 am

Programs: UA: 1K 1.5MM, DL: DM 3.5MM, LH: exSEN 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite, Hertz PresC
An additional option is VS via LHR. In all cases you should also look at the connection times in CDG/AMS/LHR as some routings include long layovers.
Old Aug 26, 20, 5:10 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
Is India accepting US visitors?
Old Aug 26, 20, 10:42 pm

Programs: DL DM& 1MM; Marriott Platinum; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Eddie98 View Post
Is India accepting US visitors?
To my knowledge, tourist visa holders aren't permitted. Only Indian citizens and those who have an Indian OCI card are allowed to enter.

I recently made JFK-CDG-DEL trip with DL/AF in J. I've flown J in this route several times, and knew that AF's business product in their old B777 is really poor....but during a pandemic, wanted more privacy, social distancing, less pax in the J cabin etc. - of course, YMMV.

FWIW, here is my trip log: https://newyork2assamduringcovid.blogspot.com/
hhdl and Love_Travel like this.

Last edited by metalblaze; Aug 26, 20 at 10:52 pm
Old Aug 29, 20, 8:32 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, AVIS Preferred Plus
KLM canceled several of their flights in AMS-BOM route. I booked a ticket for travel during 3rd week of Sep from ATL and the AMS-BOM segment got cancelled.. Now DL rebooked via ATL-CDG-BOM. Transit time at CDG is only 1 hour. Not sure I can make it, as after getting down at CDG, there is a security check, and there is a gate change as well. from BOM, I need to reach MAA.

Last edited by Love_Travel; Aug 29, 20 at 8:52 pm
Old Aug 29, 20, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Love_Travel View Post
KLM canceled several of their flights in AMS-BOM route. I booked a ticket for travel during 3rd week of Sep from ATL and the AMS-BOM segment got cancelled.. Now DL rebooked via ATL-CDG-BOM. Transit time at CDG is only 1 hour. Not sure I can make it, as after getting down at CDG, there is a security check, and there is a gate change as well. from BOM, I need to reach MAA.
AFAIK, KLM only had permissions to operate repatriation flights ex India. AF is able to do both (ex France & ex India) under the India-France "air bubble". No such bubble exists between India-Netherlands, at least yet.

https://www.klm.com/travel/in_en/cam...strictions.htm

EDIT: to your point about 1-hour layover in CDG, it is definitely tight. That said, my experience with CDG-DEL...boarding process was slow as many pax didn't have their documents in order, and the gate agents (5 of them) were helping out a ton of people. We departed about 30 minutes after ETD.
Old Aug 30, 20, 11:00 am

I just checked both my flights and they are Air France. AF 689 ATL-CDG and AF 218 CDG-BM. Looks like both use 2E, so 1 hour could be adequate?
Old Aug 30, 20, 11:25 am

Programs: DL Diam 2MM (2.3), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
I just checked both my flights and they are Air France. AF 689 ATL-CDG and AF 218 CDG-BM. Looks like both use 2E, so 1 hour could be adequate?
1 hour will work, but you may need to 'cut' the security line because of your short connection. At least last Nov there were attendants to help you do that.
I did non-Schengen to non-Schengen from exiting arriving plane to my seat on departing plane in 25 minutes. Scheduled cx was about 90 minutes but we arrived at CDG late and then the jetway wasn't working. I was fortunate - when it took 20 minutes for the doors to open on the arriving plane I was pretty sure that I was going to spend the night at an airport hotel at AF's expense.
And take a look at a CDG map - 2E is actually 2E-K,L, and M.
Old Aug 30, 20, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IME CDG security is fast if you have SkyPriority (including any DL or AF business class ticket). It's passport control (especially to exit France/Schengen) which is the big mess, with SkyPriority lines for a USA citizen frequently taking over an hour.
Old Aug 30, 20, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Metalblaze for an excellent detailed trip report.
Old Aug 30, 20, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

When I was researching, I was getting the same 1 hour transit time. I had to play around with the dates to get to a comfortable 3 hour transit time.
I have travelled ATL-CDG-BOM multiple times. Yes 1 hour is doable but it is cutting it close. Besides that was pre-COVID.

Another interesting fact worth noting and sharing - in all of my research (using Kayak), it always showed me a AF or KLM ticket (never Delta).

I called Delta over the weekend, Walked through the AF itinerary And the awesome CSR could get me a delta ticketed itinerary at the same price.. (I wanted to use credit certificate).
Interestingly - Although my to journey is via CDG, my return journey in October is via AMS.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 5, 20, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by Anix View Post
Thanks Metalblaze for an excellent detailed trip report.
Thanks. And here is my return trip log: https://newyork2assamduringcovid.blogspot.com/?m=0
mot29 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 20, 7:48 am

Interesting to read the blog. Thank you for your time to document and educate fellow travelers. I got my ticket booked via CDG. Now I have to find a place to do RT-PCR test who can give results in 2 days. That is tough here in Atlanta area.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: