extending validity of GUCs and RUCs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2020, 8:57 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
extending validity of GUCs and RUCs

I had an intl. flt. on which I used GUCs (at the time of booking) cancelled. I'm not sure if flts. from USA to Europe will be possible this year(?). I asked the DL agent, when I called to get my GUCs redeposited, about extending them...so far NO.
RUCs are probably easier to use but should also be extended.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by nrr
I had an intl. flt. on which I used GUCs (at the time of booking) cancelled. I'm not sure if flts. from USA to Europe will be possible this year(?). I asked the DL agent, when I called to get my GUCs redeposited, about extending them...so far NO.
RUCs are probably easier to use but should also be extended.
There was an extension already made FYI. SkyMiles® & Medallion® Benefit Extensions

Choice Benefits selections of Global and Regional Upgrade Certificates or $200 Travel Vouchers with an original expiration date between March 1 and June 30, 2020, are extended – now, they can be booked and flown by December 31, 2020. And, SkyMiles Members with Upgrade Certificates or $200 Travel Vouchers that expire after June 30, 2020, received an additional six months beyond the original expiration date.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 12:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
There was an extension already made FYI. SkyMiles® & Medallion® Benefit Extensions

Choice Benefits selections of Global and Regional Upgrade Certificates or $200 Travel Vouchers with an original expiration date between March 1 and June 30, 2020, are extended – now, they can be booked and flown by December 31, 2020. And, SkyMiles Members with Upgrade Certificates or $200 Travel Vouchers that expire after June 30, 2020, received an additional six months beyond the original expiration date.
I think the point OP made is to extend the expiration date beyond 12/31, which I agreed.
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I hope this is coming. The original extensions is virtually worthless to me and the new RUCs for status extension don't come until early 2021 which means I'm locked out of using RUCs for travel that was delayed a year. We had an RDU - SFO trip booked for June with 4 RUCs that had cleared and the wedding has been postponed until the same weekend next year but I can't use those RUCs because they expire before next June, but I don't get my new ones until next year so out of luck with using an RUC to clear today (space available on all four).

I either have to gamble (which I don't want to do since this is a popular route if travel is back and we take the trip) or just do paid F (which isn't the end of the world but would rather actually use an RUC)
Old Aug 24, 2020, 4:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the RUCs not only cleared but the tickets were reissued, have you tried calling and asking DL to change the dates rather than cancel and start over with new tickets?
Old Aug 24, 2020, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If the RUCs not only cleared but the tickets were reissued, have you tried calling and asking DL to change the dates rather than cancel and start over with new tickets?
I was able to do this due to THEIR schedule change and apply my RUCs.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 5:27 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
I had almost same question. My 2020 choice benefits expire 1/31/21.
  • will they be extended into '22?
  • if I select benefits before 1/31/21, will new choice benefits appear for 21/22 year? since DL extended all status for next year.
i'm sure these questions have already been asked in another post but hard to find and reading DL notes can't really tell
Old Aug 24, 2020, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Eddie98
I had almost same question. My 2020 choice benefits expire 1/31/21.
  • will they be extended into '22?
  • if I select benefits before 1/31/21, will new choice benefits appear for 21/22 year? since DL extended all status for next year.
i'm sure these questions have already been asked in another post but hard to find and reading DL notes can't really tell
If a Member earns Diamond or Platinum Medallion Status for the 2021 Medallion Year on their own through the required flight activity and spend, Choice Benefits will work like normal – they can be selected when a Member earns that Status. If a current Diamond and Platinum Medallion Member does not earn Diamond or Platinum Medallion Status again on their own by the end of 2020, they will be able to select their 2021 Choice Benefits when the 2021 Medallion year begins on February 1, 2021. All 2021 Choice Benefit selections must be made by January 31, 2022.
This is the problem -- if you don't earn (and instead get the role), you can't select new choice benefits until 2/1/2021, so there is a gap in RUC/GUC coverage even with the extension of already earned RUCs and GUCs
Old Aug 25, 2020, 11:57 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
So we've had one trip for 2 people using up 4 GUCs, originally booked in Dec 2019 for May 2020, then rescheduled to Sept 2020 and now rescheduled to June 2021. Seems they hadn't had issues with the GUCs (I hope)
Old Aug 25, 2020, 5:08 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
Originally Posted by Duke787
This is the problem -- if you don't earn (and instead get the role), you can't select new choice benefits until 2/1/2021, so there is a gap in RUC/GUC coverage even with the extension of already earned RUCs and GUCs
The way I read that is, I will get new CB on Feb 1. (I won't assume if unused from 2020 will rollover to 21 LOL)
I guess I need to select or use my GUCs before they expire on 1/31. I just wish there was somehwere for me to go and use them (GUCs)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.