Delta spend MQM spend

Old Aug 23, 20, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Delta spend MQM spend

Kind of run out of cards to spend on in my business so thinking about Delta amex spending with 2022 in mind. Got the idea after reading this: https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-...it-card-offer/
Here's my situation:
Delta Platinum-so through 2021
Delta flight I've frequently traveled is SBA to SLC, was cut a month ago or so. Looking forward in the schedule though, like next winter when I normally travel weekly on this route, it still shows bookable which surprised me, not sure if means the plan is to bring back or they've just not updated that far in advance. My other route for a number of years was SBA to PHX to SLC, a lot more time and layovers so I was very pleased to see the route with Delta when it started last year and very bummed when seemed over. So, I don't know what to expect.

Have the Delta Sky Res business and the same in Platinum form. Spent $37 on reserve business so far so 15K MQM earned plus have 5K rollover from 2019 for a total of 20K earned so far in 2020. What I'm confused about is whether this whole amount, 20K will roll over in 2021 towards 2022 status, or just the 15K or none.

My thought process is that since I don't really have any cards currently that earn me more than 1x/point for non bonused spending(maxed out 2 amex blue plus) this might be a good way to go. I can easily spend the 23K to get the additional 15K MQMS on the reserve biz card and continue to spending $50K total which would give me 40K MQMs plus the above 20K MQMs for a total of 60K MQMs. If this rolls over to 2021 for 2022 qualification then I'm needing 15K to reach Platinum provided I spend the 25K in 2021 to waive the MQD requirement. Diamond is out of question at this point and won't have the value for that kind of spend.

Do I understand Delta Skymiles MQMs correctly for rollover into 2021 and 2022 qualification? I'd much rather spend now for 2022 than in 2021 as we don't know what 2021 will bring travel wise and I'll have more earning possibilities in 2021 on my spend than I currently have. Thanks in advance for the help
Old Aug 23, 20, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Gold, WN A-List, Hiltn Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
No telling what the winter will bring flight wise, but I am hoping there is good reason for you to be making your way to Park City for the snow season. It’s my understanding that MQMs earned from credit card spend/bonuses will roll over And be added to your 2022 totals for your 2022 qualification. I have a similar plan to hit Platinum. Of course there may be a lot of Platinums in 2022.
Old Aug 24, 20, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My understanding is that in early January 2021, all MQMs in one's DL FF account at the end of December 2020 will rollover, regardless of source or status.
Hepsaint and Air Houston like this.
Old Aug 25, 20, 1:04 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
In general, once you hit any elite status, anything that isn't used, rolls over the the following program year. The only time it disappears, is if you don't make Silver, then you start back at 0 MQMs. Just remember you also have to meet MQDs plus the number of MQMs for status, so keep that in mind.
Old Aug 25, 20, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD View Post
In general, once you hit any elite status, anything that isn't used, rolls over the the following program year. The only time it disappears, is if you don't make Silver, then you start back at 0 MQMs. Just remember you also have to meet MQDs plus the number of MQMs for status, so keep that in mind.
All Non-US residents have the MQD requirement waived.
Old Aug 25, 20, 2:01 pm

Keep in mind that all (not necessarily OP) Non-US residents have the MQD requirement waived.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Aug 25, 20 at 2:43 pm
Old Aug 25, 20, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.1MM, NEXUS, SC Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LVC everywhere
OP, a somewhat complex situation. As I read your post, you are presently at 20K MQM with no Status. Normally if that all you had you would lose them when the year rolled. BUT, DL has stated that they are rolling all MQM, effectively treating 2020 and 2021 as a combined single 2021 year. So if you add MQM's the year either through AMEX or flying, all of your MQM will roll ito the 2021 year where you're earning status for 2022. If you reach 50K MQM and have your AMEZ $25K spend this year, you will be GM for the remainder of this year and 2021. Once you reach the AMEX $25K spend next year you will be GM for 2022 as well. If you reach 75K MQM in 2021 you will become PM for 2021 and then 2022 when you hit the AMEX $25K spend next year. That will give you 2 years of Choice Benefits as a PM. In your case MQD's are immaterial since you are using the AMEX spend waiver. MQD's will not roll over. Too bad for me since I'll have over $10K MQD's this year.
Old Aug 25, 20, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.1MM, NEXUS, SC Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LVC everywhere
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
My understanding is that in early January 2021, all MQMs in one's DL FF account at the end of December 2020 will rollover, regardless of source or status.
Correct!

Or,, in his case the AMEX waiver.

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle View Post
All Non-US residents have the MQD requirement waived.
The OP says he's based in San Diego, which I believe is still in the US, not Mexico.
Old Aug 25, 20, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by SuperG1955 View Post
OP, a somewhat complex situation. As I read your post, you are presently at 20K MQM with no Status. Normally if that all you had you would lose them when the year rolled. BUT, DL has stated that they are rolling all MQM, effectively treating 2020 and 2021 as a combined single 2021 year. So if you add MQM's the year either through AMEX or flying, all of your MQM will roll ito the 2021 year where you're earning status for 2022. If you reach 50K MQM and have your AMEZ $25K spend this year, you will be GM for the remainder of this year and 2021. Once you reach the AMEX $25K spend next year you will be GM for 2022 as well. If you reach 75K MQM in 2021 you will become PM for 2021 and then 2022 when you hit the AMEX $25K spend next year. That will give you 2 years of Choice Benefits as a PM. In your case MQD's are immaterial since you are using the AMEX spend waiver. MQD's will not roll over. Too bad for me since I'll have over $10K MQD's this year.
One correction, I think. If person qualifies for Platinum in 2021, they will only be getting one year of Choice Benefits.
Old Aug 26, 20, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by MarkCron View Post
One correction, I think. If person qualifies for Platinum in 2021, they will only be getting one year of Choice Benefits.
I know that some things have changed but I thought he'd get his 2021 Choice Benefits and then, having qualified for 2022 PM, would also get the 2022. Did DL kill that double dip?
Old Aug 27, 20, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by SuperG1955 View Post
I know that some things have changed but I thought he'd get his 2021 Choice Benefits and then, having qualified for 2022 PM, would also get the 2022. Did DL kill that double dip?
They killed the double dip for first timers 7 or 8 years ago. If OP does indeed meet Plat requirements for 2022 status year (both MQM's and MQD Waiver) in 2021, they will get another Plat choice benefit for 2022 status year. But that won't happen until some time in 2021 as they still need to meet the MQD Waiver spend requirement in 2021 even if they rollover enough MQM's into 2021 to qualify for Plat.
Old Aug 27, 20, 6:09 am

Programs: 2.5MM DL DM, HA Premier, AA Plat,Ex UA 1K, HH Diamond, Marriott TE
So let me get this straight. If I requalify for Diamond this year (both MQM's and MQD), all my miles will still role over to 2021? Or just any above 125K?
Old Aug 27, 20, 12:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
So let me get this straight. If I requalify for Diamond this year (both MQM's and MQD), all my miles will still role over to 2021? Or just any above 125K?
All of your MQMs will rollover.
Old Aug 27, 20, 2:26 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
As a side note. Consider the case of buying two tickets, one this year and one next. And you will use miles on one but not the other.

Better to use miles this year. For MQMs it does not matter at all. And for MQDs this year it probably does not matter at all (I doubt many are going up a level this year). But in 2021 the MQDs might help.

Now, If I can just find some place I can actually fly to :-)
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 27, 20, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Air Houston View Post
No telling what the winter will bring flight wise, but I am hoping there is good reason for you to be making your way to Park City for the snow season. Itís my understanding that MQMs earned from credit card spend/bonuses will roll over And be added to your 2022 totals for your 2022 qualification. I have a similar plan to hit Platinum. Of course there may be a lot of Platinums in 2022.
I keep seeing this offer on the various blogs and nothing says it's a targeted offer but it seems to be, correct. Not for me then at this point, guess it could change. I could swear I got an email stating this offer but can't find that. Are others getting an offer via email that allows enrollment that way even if not showing up in Amex offers?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: