Wiki Posts
Search

Delta spend MQM spend

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2021, 9:54 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Beckles
Yup, a whole bunch of PM's who don't actually fly much will be stealing all of our upgrades.
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
How will they 'steal' upgrades if they're not flying? You still have to be booked on a flight and check in to get on the UG list.
Wow! You're right! That's completely ridiculous to believe a bunch of PM's that don't actually fly much will be stealing our upgrades!
hhdl likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 10:03 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by jtc246
I was looking for an appropriate thread to ask my question, this seems the freshest and most relevant, I apologize if it's not the right place. I'm actually seeking some advice. I currently have no status with Delta, and great status with American. Much of my status with American came from my job and basically being captive to CLT connections for most flights. I suspect I will lose my American status based on my lack of trips this year, it will certainly be reduced.

What has changed is I have moved to an airport (IND) that is fairly diversified, and only has Delta offering a club, and so far I'm not flying again for my job(but likely will soon).

I got the bright idea last month to get the Delta Platinum card, I was going to spend my way to Silver for 2022. I could use my Amex Platinum for lounge access and the Delta Platinum to get a MQD waiver so that I could reach a higher medallion status for 2023. Hopefully I've made sense, LOL.

Where I am seeking advice is as follows: Should I even try for Silver this year? The biggest benefits will be free baggage and better boarding, both of which the credit card will give me. Some slight chance at upgrades and possibly C+ seats would be what I am losing. I'm thinking now the opportunity cost of spending 50K on the Delta Platinum vs a more optimal card isn't worth it. I should just wait until 2022, get my MQD waiver then for 25K spend, and earn what I earn.

Thoughts, please?
I hit FO (Silver) two years ago, and last year worked my way up to PM. Of course, your chances for upgrades are highly dependent on route, aircraft, day and time, but my general experience was that (pre-COVID) I got upgraded to First 2-3 times on my first 30 flights being FO and and got upgrades to Comfort + maybe a little more than a third of the time. The biggest benefit in my eyes was being able to select "preferred" seats (including exit row). If you check bags often, most non-hub airports allow FO to use SkyPriority lines, so that's another benefit, and the baggage weight limit when you are FO is 70 lbs, rather than the standard 50 lbs. Also note that if you have the AmEx AND FO, you get two free checked bags (I believe the 70 lb limit applies to both as well).

You may consider the Delta Reserve card (not sure if you already got the Platinum card or not). The annual fee is higher, but if your spend is as you suggest above, you could hopefully hit the status boost MQM bonus twice. The status boost bonus is higher for Reserve vs. Platinum and is increased by 25% this year (18,750 MQMs for each 30k in spend). With that plus the 20,000 MQM bonus welcome offer for spending $5,000 in the first three months, that would secure Gold medallion for whenever you are back on the road with a few rollover MQMs to kick start your status earn without stepping foot on a plane. You'll also have SkyClub access included without having to pay per visit.

With last year's MQM rollover and the MQM accelerator program, many are expecting that all of the medallion tiers PM and lower are going to get crowded, so chances of getting upgrades as FO are going to be pretty darn slim.

Depending on your status with AA and planned extent of travel, have you considered a Status Match Challenge?
jtc246 and DCAhome like this.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 10:17 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by tardyturtle
The biggest benefit in my eyes was being able to select "preferred" seats (including exit row).
I also find the ability to select exit rows for free to be quite useful at times, especially if you can snare the infinite leg room seats you get with some planes.
jtc246 likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 10:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Wow! You're right! That's completely ridiculous to believe a bunch of PM's that don't actually fly much will be stealing our upgrades!
I wish you'd have used the sarcastic smiley in your post so that I wouldn't have taken it seriously.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 6:19 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
If you are going to be flying this year, and have AA status, then do a status match with Delta.
jtc246 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 7:31 am

Deleted
Old Apr 26, 2021, 12:01 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
I wish you'd have used the sarcastic smiley in your post so that I wouldn't have taken it seriously.
What fun would that be?
hhdl likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Yup, a whole bunch of PM's who don't actually fly much will be stealing all of our upgrades.
Hmm, if they don't fly they won't use upgrades. What am I missing?
hhdl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.